Killing time in Santiago, Chile

storelady

I would like some suggestions on how to fill the time in Santiago, Chile while waiting for a late night flight home after being transferred from Valparaiso.

How far is it from the airport to the center of town?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I would suggest a wine tour of the casablanca valley which is on the way to Santiago. This is white wine. You could then continue on to Santiago for some sightseeing. Santiago has a great combination of beautiful old buildings and new modern ones. I would also recommend the Pre-columbian museum and the museum of one of the old wine families of Santiago. It is small and intimate and was very interesting. I can't remember the name but I'll look it up. A little farther out is Los Domenicos which was setup by the wife of the former Chilean president. It is a series of 100+ high quality small craft shop in a nice setting spread out next to a famous church. The main high end shopping area was also nice to walk. We spent 3 days in Santiago post cruise in 2005. Everything in Santiago is very accessible by taxi and it is very safe. We really enjoyed Akarana (sp?) the restaurant across from the Ritz Carlton. It is New Zealand food that is excellent. If it is still there try the grilled asparagus (wonderful!).

Archived