Tipping Adventure Ocean Staff

We've sailed on NCL with the kids, where they make sure to point out that Kids Crew staff aren't part of the tip pool. We tipped $5 per child per day for KC.

But we haven't cruised on RCCL since we've had our kids and I was wondering if it is appropriate and common to tip the staff of Adventure Ocean?

I don't have a problem with tipping the Adventure Ocean staff. Just wanted to know if that's what everyone else does.

Thanks for your help!

It is my understanding (and i might be wrong) that the kids club employees get paid better wages - they don't work for tips. I couldn't even imagine tipping them - there are so many of them!! I hope others who have sailed RCI say the same thing. If not, I will feel bad for never tipping them in the past.

Kathy

It is my understanding (and i might be wrong) that the kids club employees get paid better wages - they don't work for tips. I couldn't even imagine tipping them - there are so many of them!!

On NCL, Kids Crew provided an envelope (like RCCL does for the usual tipped staff) and then all of the kids club employees would split the tips.

I haven't heard anything previously about tipping the RCCL AO staff, which prompted my question. On NCL, it was very clearly stated in a couple different places that "Kids Crew Staff are not part of the tip pool." But on NCL, the gratuities are automatically charged to your onboard account, so it's a little different. I think many people still didn't tip the KC staff much, if anything.

I'd love to hear other people's experiences with this!

We've sailed on NCL with the kids, where they make sure to point out that Kids Crew staff aren't part of the tip pool. We tipped $5 per child per day for KC.

But we haven't cruised on RCCL since we've had our kids and I was wondering if it is appropriate and common to tip the staff of Adventure Ocean?

I don't have a problem with tipping the Adventure Ocean staff. Just wanted to know if that's what everyone else does.

Thanks for your help!

I've not tipped any of the AO staff or heard anything about doing so. I'm sure the RCCL would mention somewhere if this was "expected".

So how much does one tip?

I loved the staff also and would love to tip them just don't know what is a good amount? Personal question but was wondering is all

We've asked this question on the Family Cruise board here at CC and the answers range from $20 - $100 for the week...pending on family.

But of course it's whatever YOU are comfortable with.

I have never brought children on a cruise (mine were grown by the time we started cruising) but I would say that for the experience that the childen receive and the quiet time that it gives the parent the tip should equal or excede what is given to your room steward or waiter. I know that a babysitter costs alot these days,and parents gladly pay to get some time out, but don't you also give them alittle extra for a job well done? JMHO:)

I have never brought children on a cruise (mine were grown by the time we started cruising) but I would say that for the experience that the childen receive and the quiet time that it gives the parent the tip should equal or excede what is given to your room steward or waiter. I know that a babysitter costs alot these days,and parents gladly pay to get some time out, but don't you also give them alittle extra for a job well done? JMHO:)

Good point! I always laugh at these threads because inevitably someone will come on complaining about tipping the counselors....but that SAME person will be happy to slip the concierge $100 when all the concierge did was poor some drinks and get a few reservations. Meanwhile, SOME kids are with the counselors ALL DAY and NIGHT...but the parents think it strange to tip them.

Tipping is a personal matter. You tip if that's what you feel comfortable doing. They pool the tips and divide it up.

Good point! I always laugh at these threads because inevitably someone will come on complaining about tipping the counselors....but that SAME person will be happy to slip the concierge $100 when all the concierge did was poor some drinks and get a few reservations. Meanwhile, SOME kids are with the counselors ALL DAY and NIGHT...but the parents think it strange to tip them.

Tipping is a personal matter. You tip if that's what you feel comfortable doing. They pool the tips and divide it up.

Just out of curriosity I am going to really "show my age". When I had sitters for my children in late 70's early 80's it was $1.50 per hour. When I babysat in the 60's I earned 15-20 cents per hour. What is it now?

Just out of curriosity I am going to really "show my age". When I had sitters for my children in late 70's early 80's it was $1.50 per hour. When I babysat in the 60's I earned 15-20 cents per hour. What is it now?

I don't hire babysitters cause I have a home office. ;) But from what I hear from my friends, it's $5-$8/hour for a babysitter.

I agree. Last year on the FOS, my two girls had an awesome time. The AO club workers were excellent. Tipping them was a pleasure.

We currently have a lovely babysitter. The girls adore her and she is worth every penny. We live in Denver, CO and pay $15/ hr. + extra for a late hour pick up.

My now 18yr daughter (graduated high school June 4th yea!) charges $20hr to watch my 6yr daughter. She drives a hard bargain LOL

But she does a wonderful job for us and her sister adores her.

Ps she also gets to use the car when sitting...

I will definitely tip the staff in September on AOS

Babysitting/Nanny fees are really a regional issue. I've heard some areas go as low as $5 an hour! I was making more than that when I was 13!

Here in Ontario, I never charge less than $9 an hour and it can be more depending on the age and number of children. In major cities, I've heard quotes as high as $15-$20 an hour.

Archived