Floatplane crash in Alaska

haligonian37

Lisa, I recall the float plane beng a very smooth ride. One good thing about the pilots in Alaska. When we did the b2b, we took the helicopter out of Juneau on the way up. On the way back, it was raining ever so slighly and the canceled the trip.

Carol, that happened to us also, the biggest disappointment of our whole Alaskan experience, we were scheduled to fly to Taku Lodge, but nothing flew. Took a few days to get over that , knowing chances of us ever returning were extremely slight. However, did get to catch a bear at the Mendlehall Glacier, called that compensation :D He walked right past us :D Spent the money instead on the Big Is, of Hawaii and took a tiny little cessna flight right around the island, that was a pretty huge experience :D

Val

That four glacier helicopter ride and dogsledding was one of the best things I've ever done. My third child had just gotten married, I was still on a high, left for Alaska and a big birthday celebration the next week and just decided I was going to go for it. A friend had done it and said it was great. We never saw any bears though. maybe we were there too early in the season. The most we got was a glimpse of one from the train ride we took.

Lisa, there's always bonine.

Dh & I returned from Alaska Sunday only to hear of this tragedy this week. One of the couples are "snowbirders" that live in Maryland in the Summer and Florida in the winter. There was an article in our paper today that said that the two women on board were sisters. I just cannot imagine what the families must be going thru.

Barbie

How awful! We went on two floatplanes on our 2003 celebrity cruise. I am quite the chicken but was not afraid at all. They were so smooth. My sympaties go out to all the families. Also I feel badly for all the pilots who will lose alot of their livlihood. With princess canceling their contract with their company alot of people could lose their jobs.:(

On our first Alaska cruise 4 years ago we were afraid to book the air type of excursions, so we did the rowing to the glaciers, a whale watch, and a jeep excursion. After we saw the amount of planes and heard how wonderful the excursions were we were sorry we did not do them. Am returning to Alaska on the Noordam in Sept. and we have booked the helicopter with the glacier landing, the floatplane to Neets Bay for the bearwatch as two of our excursions. As the others have stated, we probably having a bigger chance of something happening on the way to and from the airport then in one of these planes.

Barbara

Yep, and also remember they seem to use floatplanes in this part of the world like motor vehicles, its their mode of transport. Still more chance of being involved in a motor accident, it all comes down to fate really, being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sad as it is, especially for those that are grieving.

Tragedy in Phoenix.....two news helicopter crashed into each other.....3 known dead so far. We haven't even heard their names yet.

It was in a heavily populated area of Phoenix, but happenned over a park so the tragedy wasn't even worse.

Really choked up about it here....

Sean, I just read about this, how very sad:( Two television stations trying to capture a police chase with their helicopters and news crew.

It's really hard watching them talk to people that knew these 4 guys well...a great bunch of guys. Hard not to choke up....

Many witnesses recall thinking those helicopters are close, but they must know what they are doing.....and then it happenned.

My heart goes out to those two families. They're in my prayers.

Our floatplane excursion to the Misty Fjords was quite possibly the thrill of our lifetimes. Extraordinary beauty and so peaceful. It took my breath away.

We also loved seeing the planes, like bees, coming and going all day in the harbor from our balcony. As another poster said, they are a staple for transportation all over Alaska.

Archived