Liberty or Adventure? for family with kids

We are having trouble deciding on Liberty out of Miami (Eastern Itin) or Adventure out of San Juan (Aruba Itin). We have 3 families going - including 3 children ages 7, 10 and 17.

Things we consider to be pros for Liberty:

* newer, bigger ship

* H20 fun zone

* flow rider

* private island day in Haiti

* 2 specialty restaurants

Our pros for Adventure:

* more ports, more exotic

* a sports bar

* cruise is actually cheaper (but about even when you add airfares to SJ)

* I think the cabins are a bit larger

(However, the main pro is simply the appeal of the ports - the other pros are minor).

I would love to hear the thoughts of families who have been on one or both of these ships. Love the itinerary out of SJ, but wondering if the Freedom class ships are really that much better than the Voyager class? I realize Liberty is bigger, but does that necessarily mean better?

I would especially like to know if H20 zone is a little or a lot better than Adventure Beach - how do they compare? I could really see my kids enjoying H20 zone - but don't know much about Adventure Beach.

Thank you so much for any advice anyone can provide!:)

We have never been on the Liberty, but we love the Adventure! The crew is great, the ports are great (even though we went on the other route), and the ship is amazing. It was our 7th and best cruise we've been on. I would highly recommend it! Check out my review at: Cruise Critic Member Reviews: Adventure of the Seas by Cruisechic470

How were the rooms overlooking the promenade? I would like to try one, but have a 2 year old and worried they might be noisy at night? We are still trying to decide on Freedom of the seas or Carnival Liberty...next summer with 15, 17, and 2 year old...

How were the rooms overlooking the promenade? I would like to try one, but have a 2 year old and worried they might be noisy at night? We are still trying to decide on Freedom of the seas or Carnival Liberty...next summer with 15, 17, and 2 year old...

They are supposed to be quite soundproof, as long as you aren't on deck 6 over a lounge.

There's no comparison between Freedom of the Seas and any Carnival ship. Your kids will have the time of their lives on Freedom.

To the OP: You can't go wrong with either ship. I'd lean towards Adventure b/c Aruba and Curacao are so unique. Every ship has those other ports, and you'll have a chance to visit them again sometime down the road. You/your kids won't miss the extra features on Liberty because there's more than enough on Adventure to keep them positively occupied for the week.

We are having trouble deciding on Liberty out of Miami (Eastern Itin) or Adventure out of San Juan (Aruba Itin). We have 3 families going - including 3 children ages 7, 10 and 17.

I would love to hear the thoughts of families who have been on one or both of these ships. Love the itinerary out of SJ, but wondering if the Freedom class ships are really that much better than the Voyager class? I realize Liberty is bigger, but does that necessarily mean better?

I would especially like to know if H20 zone is a little or a lot better than Adventure Beach - how do they compare? I could really see my kids enjoying H20 zone - but don't know much about Adventure Beach.

I have been on the Navigator and the Freedom, sisters to the Adventure and Liberty. Bigger does not mean better. However, the H2O Zone is great. The Navigator does not have an Adventure Beach because the area was under used and only exists on the first three Voyager class ships. The last two (the Navigator and Mariner) don't have an Adventure Beach. It is my understanding that the Adventure Beach only appeals to the pre-school aged children.

The H2O Zone will be far more appealing to your seven and ten year olds. Your seventeen year old will appreciate the expanded teen facility that the Navigator, Mariner, Freedom, Liberty and Independence all have (the teen area was expanded on the last two Voyager class ships when the Adventure Beach area was removed).

The main problem with the Freedom class from my experience (I was on it last month) is tendering. Since you dock at all the eastern ports (except Labadee) this will not be a problem.

So, based only on the ship, if I were you I would go with the Liberty. However, if the ports on the southern interest you enough, then perhaps you should go with the southern. There is nothing wrong with the Adventurer and you will still have a great time. Two things to consider here are?

1) Port intensive itineraries can wear you (and the kids) out. Those days at sea are very relaxing.

2) Since you have school aged kids, are you going during the summer? If so, realize that summer is hurricane season and either itinerary could be changed for weather related reasons. You might want to wait on the southern itinerary until you can go during the early part of the year (hurricane off-season) if it is the ports that interest you.

If you are interested, you can read my review of the Freedom cruise I took last month. I don't compare itineraries, but I do point out the advantages and disadvantages of the Freedom vs. the Navigator. It is long, about thirteen type written pages ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=30442

Great to hear that it is a fun ship. I wanted adventure beach because I will have a 6yr with us in September. Did the voyager when she was 5yr and it was the perfect pool for her. h2O looks good also but that boat seemed very expensive for us. The AOS price and ports sold me.

My kids (who are no strangers to cruiships) were just blown away by Freedom.

Why, was it especially windy on your cruise? We had great weather. Look how calm the sea is on our last full day at sea, between Cozumel and Miami ...

Calmseas.jpg

cuiser2 - HAHAHAHAHA nope it wasn't windy ;)

findatmyfeet - Thank you :D

crusinmama,

I lived in State College for 11yrs! Loved it.

My brother owned Stoneys Posthhouse Tavern. Not sure if its still there though,it was sold after he passed away 13yrs ago. My ex mother in law lives in Toft Trees. Small world lol

crusinmama,

I lived in State College for 11yrs! Loved it.

My brother owned Stoneys Posthhouse Tavern. Not sure if its still there though,it was sold after he passed away 13yrs ago. My ex mother in law lives in Toft Trees. Small world lol

Toftrees is beautiful. I have never been to Stoney's before, I must have missed it when I was in college because a quick searched showed that it WAS there when I attended PSU but I don't see any current listings for it.

It is a small world. :)

* newer, bigger ship

* H20 fun zone

* flow rider

Our pros for Adventure:

* a sports bar

(However, the main pro is simply the appeal of the ports - the other pros are minor).

You will get many varying opinions here so you will have to take them all with a grain of salt. But here is mine....

If you were going on the "other" AOS route (not Aruba/Curacao) I would say that would win hands down. But based on that route & AOS vs. Liberty, I would go Liberty hands down. We don't have kids but wanted to rent some so we could go play in the H2O zone. Mr. Ski loved the flowrider. As other posters said, remember that the itinerary can get changed at any time. It is not unusual for ports to get missed during hurricane season or any time the seas might cause docking/maneuvering issues or due to mechanical, etc. So it is great to plan a trip based on the ports you want to visit, but always remember the ports are "stops along the way" while the ship is the "destination". But we all have different views on what we want out of a cruise and what we like best. Good luck on your decision. I'm sure your family will have a great time whichever one you choose!

Thank you so much for all of your replies. While we still can't make up our minds, at least you have given us some things to consider.

We are not cruising over the northern hemisphere summer - we actually live in Australia, so your summer is our winter! We are cruising mid April - I think we will miss the main spring break rush - but hope that there are still lots of other kids for our children to have fun with.

I was hoping to hear that Adventure Beach was great, but kind of expected that it would be a distant second to the H20 zone. I know that our kids would love H20.:)

By the way, we do realize that if this decision is our biggest "problem" we are pretty lucky.:o

* newer, bigger ship

* H20 fun zone

* flow rider

Our pros for Adventure:

* a sports bar

Been on both-you forgot the "Air On Ice" video kareoke recording booths that kids LOVE!! You can record your own video song in sound proof booths and 90% are under 18.......the H20 zone must be seen to be believed..so much bigger,better than Adventure Beach..and kids don't care about "exotic" ports..AND Liberty sports bar MUCH bigger than AOS (on deck 3 near Studio B)..AND cabins on Liberty much nicer than AOS with soft colors,flat screen TV,BIGGER balconies....

My wife & I were very impressed with the Freedom ships...AOS was great,Mariner better,Freedom better...one more little thing:Liberty has Chops AND Portifinos,AOS only the latter-both great places to dine in quiet,better food,better service....Happy cruising!!

Big Al

Been on both-you forgot the "Air On Ice" video kareoke recording booths that kids LOVE!! You can record your own video song in sound proof booths and 90% are under 18.......the H20 zone must be seen to be believed..so much bigger,better than Adventure Beach..and kids don't care about "exotic" ports..AND Liberty sports bar MUCH bigger than AOS (on deck 3 near Studio B)..AND cabins on Liberty much nicer than AOS with soft colors,flat screen TV,BIGGER balconies....

My wife & I were very impressed with the Freedom ships...AOS was great,Mariner better,Freedom better...one more little thing:Liberty has Chops AND Portifinos,AOS only the latter-both great places to dine in quiet,better food,better service....Happy cruising!!

Big Al

Big Al,

I'm having cruise withdrawal, and your description isn't helping! :rolleyes: ;)

You can record your own video song in sound proof booths and 90% are under 18.......

Big Al

90% of the sound proof booths are under 18? :confused: You mean they were not all built at the same time? :eek:

Archived