Birth Certificate: Raised Seal Now Squashed...

Leo Jay

The raised seal on my birth certificate has become a bit squashed after many years of being pressed into a file folder. If the new passport doesn't get here in time, I'll probably get a new BC just to be safe, but has anyone had a problem using a BC whose seal is a little iffy?

The raised seal on my birth certificate has become a bit squashed after many years of being pressed into a file folder. If the new passport doesn't get here in time, I'll probably get a new BC just to be safe, but has anyone had a problem using a BC whose seal is a little iffy?

As long as they can see it when they hold it up to the light, it would be acceptable, or so I was told.

If its an original cirtified copy from "a long time ago" ;) and they can tell the seal has been squished over time, I feel like they expect that. Now if its a nice new shiney copy with the raised seal flattened, they might look more closely.

I think you will be fine. I mean you can tell if a seal was raised "once upon a time, a long, long time ago, in a land far away" ;) :p

Good Luck.

We used the original birth certificates last year on Glory and were fine. I was actually just looking at them as I went through the paperwork for this year's cruise, and the seal on my mom's birth certificate is definitely "squashed." It took me a minute to find the seal, actually, because we've had that copy for a while. However, this is what we used last year, and it was just fine.

So after several sentences of rambling from my part, I think you'll be fine. :D

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the feedback -- maybe I'll live on the edge. :D Oh, and 'duh' -- I've got the 'passport in process' printout too, so I should be okay anyway. And who knows -- the passport may get here yet! :D

my friend about gave me an ulcer last November. I had told her how she needed to make sure her BC had the raised seal and that it was a certified copy. She said Oh I'm sure it is... and I was like nononono...you need to check. Well she took forever to find it and when she finally did she called me. I said ok does it have the raised seal. She said yes and it says certified copy. At this point there really wasn't time for her to send away for another one and I was already in a panic that she was blowing this serious thing off. Well come the day of the trip we are on our way to the airport and she shows me her birth certificate! Talk about instant stomach turning! It was SO old and worn and there was DEFINITELY NOT a raised seal nor did it look like there had ever been and the only thing it did have going for it was that it was her name and it said certified but still...I was totally in a panic! To go all that way and spend all that money and to think of what on earth we would do if her BC didn't pass! I was a bit upset to say the least! Long story semi-short....after all my worry they barely even looked at her documents and we were on our way. I could have just threw up right there from stress and she was like...see I told you it would be fine! AAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

my friend about gave me an ulcer last November. I had told her how she needed to make sure her BC had the raised seal and that it was a certified copy. She said Oh I'm sure it is... and I was like nononono...you need to check. Well she took forever to find it and when she finally did she called me. I said ok does it have the raised seal. She said yes and it says certified copy. At this point there really wasn't time for her to send away for another one and I was already in a panic that she was blowing this serious thing off. Well come the day of the trip we are on our way to the airport and she shows me her birth certificate! Talk about instant stomach turning! It was SO old and worn and there was DEFINITELY NOT a raised seal nor did it look like there had ever been and the only thing it did have going for it was that it was her name and it said certified but still...I was totally in a panic! To go all that way and spend all that money and to think of what on earth we would do if her BC didn't pass! I was a bit upset to say the least! Long story semi-short....after all my worry they barely even looked at her documents and we were on our way. I could have just threw up right there from stress and she was like...see I told you it would be fine! AAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

It's funny now and I'm glad that you can laugh about it. But I have a story similar to yours that made me worry.

In Florida they have two types of BCs and by mistake I ordered one that was computer generated (certified copy.) When we recieved them I stressed and lost sleep and complained. Although it had the seal and said certified I was afraid that after all of that money spent on fares , Carnival would say, "No way." Luckily we had time so we turned around and ordered the certified copy of the book copy and took both with us to the terninal. Carnival accepted the book copy and I showed and asked about the other copy. She examined it and said that that was an acceptable copy.

I was like you. I didn't want to spend all of that money on a cruise and denied boarding because of a BC issue. I figured it didn't cost much to order both types of certificates for my DH and me, but it was way too much for our fares. Better safe than sorry.

The birth certificates issued in Virginia do not have a raised seal. They come on watermark paper. The certificate is a part of the mailing envelope. Meaning, you tear both sides of the envelope and open up and the birth certificate is attached as one.

my friend about gave me an ulcer last November.... I was already in a panic that she was blowing this serious thing off.... Talk about instant stomach turning! .....I was totally in a panic! To go all that way and spend all that money and to think of what on earth we would do if her BC didn't pass! I was a bit upset to say the least! .... I could have just threw (sic) up right there from stress and she was like...see I told you it would be fine! AAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Why were YOU so panicked? It was her birth certificate; it would have been her problem. I don't see why you should have been more concerned about it than she was.... unless you just have a tendency to be that way in general.

Why were YOU so panicked? It was her birth certificate; it would have been her problem. I don't see why you should have been more concerned about it than she was.... unless you just have a tendency to be that way in general.

Well, it's her friend and travelling companion. Empathy, perhaps?

"Well, tough break, kid, but... WOW, now I'll have the cabin ALL TO MYSELF! WOO-HOOO!"

:D

I understand empathy, but not being "panicked" when the person directly concerned remains calm. ;)

Ah, what do they know? Some people can be inappropriately carefree about things...

"Oh, calm down -- it was only 3 little cocktails; I do know how to drive, you know... :rolleyes: "

Maybe she paid for her friend's cruise. I would be in panic mode if I paid for someone's cruise and they blew off a small detail like that.

I have a good one for you - We were bringing another couple with us on vacation to Aruba last year. They decided to join us approx. a month out. I told her, "Sally (not her real name), MAKE SURE both of your birth certificates have a raised seal on them!" She swore, "Oh yes - they do. We are good to go."

We get to the airport that morning and start to check in. We went to one counter and they were called to another. We had no problems checking-in (we have passports). As we walked over to them and asked how they were doing, she said is such a sad voice that made my heart sink into my stomach, "NOT SO GOOD." I looked at the agent at the counter and couldn't believe my eyes. Sally had brought their hospital issued birth certificates with their actual footprints on them from birth. Come on now, I love them dearly, but this couple is in their 50's. Unbelievable that they would think in this day and age that birth footprints would work for ID's. I just shook and hung my head as we said our good-bye's and we walked through security and they walked out of the airport doors dragging their luggage (such a sad sight!).

This story ends with them spending alot of money to get emergency passports, but not until that next Tuesday. They got a flight out Wednesday morning with more connections and delays to remember. They ended up going from LGA to Philly to Miami. Spent Wednesday night in Miami because of more delays, mechanical problem, etc. and finally reached Aruba on Thursday night around 9PM. They had to turn right back around and leave on Saturday. Needless to say, that was their vacation from hell!

We on the other hand, had one of our best vacations ever - but of course we didn't tell them that ...

Leo, I'd think since most states are now issuing b/c on state watermark paper and raised seals are not longer a requirement, you should be fine.

Surely, they can SEE that there is a seal of some sort on there, squashed or not.

Don't know about other states, but in Florida, and if you were born in Florida, you can go to the closest Bureau of Vital Statistics, fill out a request, pay a CASH fee, wait, and leave with your BC. Same same with marriage and divorce certs....once again only if married or divorced in Florida.

Archived