Ocean Cruise Line's Ocean Islander?

From the Simplon Postcard site:

Ocean Islander (Ocean Cruise Line: 1984-90) City of Andros was sold in 1984 to new cruise venture Ocean Cruise Lines. She was rebuilt into the luxury cruise ship Ocean Islander, and joined the Ocean Princess in a two-ship fleet. In summer she sailed along the Dalmatian coast from Venice, and in winter cruised the Caribbean from Barbados. In 1990, Ocean Cruise Lines was bought by Accor SA and Chargeurs SA, who also owned Paquet Cruises. Ocean Islander was not part of the deal, and she was sold to the Swiss-owned African Safari Club. She was renamed Royal Star and was used on cruises out of Mombasa to the islands of the Indian Ocean.

Royal Star - (StarLine Cruises: 1990- ) In 1990, Ocean Cruise Lines was bought by Accor SA and Chargeurs SA, who also owned Paquet Cruises. Ocean Islander was not part of the deal, and she was sold to the Swiss-owned African Safari Club, operating as StarLine Cruises. She was renamed Royal Star and was used on cruises out of Mombasa to the islands of the Indian Ocean.

Thank you for that Chasetf. I would have liked to have sailed on the old Islander once more for old times sake,but with SOLAS looming,I fear that will not happen.I cannot see me getting back out to East Africa before 2010. Too many fine old ships in too short a time.I hope at least to sail on QE2.

There were many staff members on the Islander who were ex-Cunard.There seemed to have been some sort of a connection there.We even had the cruise director 'on loan' from the QE2 at one point.

There do not seem to be many people out there who know of the Ocean Islander.Her sister, the Ocean Princess, got a mention in the recent Cruise Critic feature on Louis Cruises.They also mentioned the Princess Vitorio, the old Dunnotter Castle, last of the Union Castle Line.

Anyone else got a word or two on the subject?

• 3 years later...
Thank you for that Chasetf. I would have liked to have sailed on the old Islander once more for old times sake,but with SOLAS looming,I fear that will not happen.I cannot see me getting back out to East Africa before 2010. Too many fine old ships in too short a time.I hope at least to sail on QE2.

There were many staff members on the Islander who were ex-Cunard.There seemed to have been some sort of a connection there.We even had the cruise director 'on loan' from the QE2 at one point.

There do not seem to be many people out there who know of the Ocean Islander.Her sister, the Ocean Princess, got a mention in the recent Cruise Critic feature on Louis Cruises.They also mentioned the Princess Vitorio, the old Dunnotter Castle, last of the Union Castle Line.

Anyone else got a word or two on the subject?

Hi bcscot,

I worked on the Ocean Princess from Dec. 1984 through most of '85 as an entertainer. I loved it and I've kept in touch with my little foursome, "Showtime-At-Sea"--and a few others. It was a lovely ship and I'm sure The Islander was as well. We did the Caribbean, a 28-day Atlantic crossing, and a spectacular Mediterranean itinerary that included Portofino, Venice, Nice, Dubrovnik, Naples, Sicily, Corfu and Tunis. One of the best things I ever did was signing on to that ship one month after moving from Indiana to NYC. Loved it.

Paula

• 1 year later...

Don't remember if it was the Islander, but I have a slide of that ship in port along with my slides of a special Halley's Comet cruise down the Orinoco River plus stops at Martinique, Barbados, St. Lucia and Grenada. ALso a flight to Canaima National park and a fly-by Anel falls (which were dry). All in probably March/April 1986. Does that sound right?

Archived