gluten free meals on Royal Caribbean ships

My family and I are sailing on the Explorer of the Seas. My daughter has Celiac disease and cannot have gluten in her diet. Has anyone had experience with Royal Caribbean and special dietary needs, particularly gluten free?

Thanks!

Contact Special Services Dept ASAP. They will ensure that your daughter is taken care of.

When you board go to the Mait'd the first day when he is available (between 1-4pm, times may vary a little). You will be able to find him/her for table changes but I use this to ensure that he got the message and confirm that everything is ok. They will give you the menu for the night (or show you it) and you will receive another menu every night for the next day. You will have to phone your meal in so that it can be prepared for her.

I have Celiac disease and haven't had a problem on any cruise line as of yet. I did get a salad with croutons once and they did tell me they'd remove them. I had to explain that I needed a new salad. I always have asked that they cook my food in a clean pan so that there is no chance of cross contamination. I have been diagnosed for 6 years and I have not had a reaction since I've explained it. The Celiac Sprue foundation used to have cards to hand out to servers and chefs to explain gluten free prep. I got mine years ago so i don't know if they still have them. Sometimes I tell them that I am "allergic" to wheat, barley, rye...and on and on. That always assures me of a safe meal as they imagine me keeling over in the restaurant. People don't see the internal damage so sometimes I resort to that because many don't understand the severity of the illness. I spoke to someone before my cruise and got everything straightened out and had a worry free cruise. Best of luck to your DD. It must be tough as a child. I miss real pizza, bread, and pasta. The rice blends are okay but don't have the flavor I like. Have fun and I can assure you by my experience they went out of their way to accomodate me.:)

No problems on EOS last March. They also bake their own gluten free bread. Not only did they always bring some out with dinner, but we could even get some at the random seating breakfast by just telling the server that we wanted the gf bread "made for table 212". Windjammer had lots of things that were OK, just need to careful about cross contamination. My SO just used reasonable caution on that and had no troubles the entire cruise

I have celiac and just returned from Adventure of the Seas. I was quite pleased with how well they attended to my GF needs. As noted on the previous posts, be sure to alert the special needs department and have your travel agent do so also, if you are using one. My head waiter was very attentive and always went over the next night's meal choices with me, and my waiter understood and was always willing to modify salads, etc. as needed. Here's the best part: they made flourless chocolate cake for me every night! So if your daughter is a chocoholic, be sure to request it, even if she only wants it one or two evenings. There is always ice cream available, and sometimes they have mousses or fondues that are gluten free.

One tip: If she likes bread/toast with breakfast, try to let them know in Windjammer that you'll be wanting in most mornings. The one morning I asked for it they provided it but it took a very long time (for which they apologized). I probably could have avoided that if I had let them know in advance. No problem at breakfast in the main dining room.

The only drawback: there's nothing GF available at Cafe Promenade, but the small space probably presents cross contamination challenges.

Have a great cruise!

redsoxfan,

Yes, the CSA still carries the cards. They sounded so useful I just ordered sets for my father (celiac for 13 years) and my friend (diagnosed 2 months ago). Thanks for mentioning them.

Juli

redsoxfan,

Yes, the CSA still carries the cards. They sounded so useful I just ordered sets for my father (celiac for 13 years) and my friend (diagnosed 2 months ago). Thanks for mentioning them.

Juli

Cards? How, where do I get them please?

I just posted this in another thread.

Please contact RCCL before you board so they can be prepared.

This is from their website.

Food & Beverage

s.gif

Q: What type of special meals does Royal Caribbean offer?

s.gifA: We make every effort to accommodate our guests' dietary requirements whenever possible. We can accommodate special needs such as:

Food allergies

Gluten-free

Vegetarian (except for vegan/macrobiotic)

Low-fat

Low-sodium

Lactose-free/soy milk, Ensure, and kosher meals are no extra charge. All you have to do is notify us at least 45 days prior to sailing. Just send an e-mail that includes the guests' names, reservation ID number, ship's name and voyage date to the relevant address below:

Food allergies - foodallergies@rccl.com

Kosher meals - kosher@rccl.com

(Kosher for Passover meal requests MUST be received 60 days in advance in order to be accommodated.)

Indian-style vegetarian meals - Indianvegetarian@rccl.com

Gluten-free/celiac meals - glutenfree@rccl.com

Fax requests may be sent to 305-539-6018 Attn: Special Meals Request

E-mails will receive an automated response. Faxed requests will also receive a response provided the guest provides an email address. We kindly ask that guests do not call Royal Caribbean International suppliers with specific questions.

Special meal requests that are faxed or e-mailed less than 45 days of sailing are dependent on the ship's product availability. We will try to accommodate to the best of our ability.

Please note that baby food and infant formula are not provided on board. s.gif

Archived