Question about card to use for room safe.

bnprincess

Last time I used my bank debit card and it worked fine but I would feel better using something less valuable.

Does anybody know if the gift cards from Walmart that haven't been activated yet will work for the room safe? They have them in boxes right there by the register and if you don't put any money on them, then you don't have to pay for them AND they have those cute little envelopes to slide them into (also free).:rolleyes:

The alternative is the gift cards that had money on them but are now depleted. Does anybody know if they'll work?

Thanks for any feedback. As you can tell, details drive me crazy so any help is appreciated (especially by my husband).;)

I too use a grocery card. I have used a credit card in the past but hated carrying it around the ship; feared I would lose it!

My mom managed to get the safe jammed on our Alaska cruise, but a call to the pursers desk was all it took. They sent a ships officer up and he managed to get it open.

We used a grocery store card too. Just left it hidden in the room so it was always there if either one of us went back to the cabin. I don't see why the Walmart one wouldn't work also.... as long as it has the magnetic strip.

I am not sure about a card that has not been activated yet. There has to be some information on the strip for the safes reader. I have tried old hotel cards and none of them seem to work. I use a card like a Best Buy points card and it works well.

Don;t use your room key..... cause then anyone with room access can access your safe (room steward) and you can demagnetize your room key.

Old gift cards work for us every time.

And it resets each time you open it, so you use the same gift card to close it again, etc.

There are instructions for use of the safe in the cabin -- it is pretty simple.

You don't want to use your room key as stated previously because that would give "all access" to your room and safe

You don't want to use credit or debit cards, or any other card that has value just for the obvious reason that you might lose it.

If you lose a "worthless" card that you are using as a safe key, the safe can be easily reset with no other worries.

I just ask to have the gift card back after it is depleted, and it works just fine.

How do I use the card for the first time if it was used by someone one the last cruise? I know you said it resets every time you use it.

When you walk into your cabin for the first time the safe should be open. Whatever card you use to lock it will be the card that you use to open it. That's what they mean by it resets each time it is opened.

I feel the need to clarify a point here...the magnetic strip on the housekeeper master key does NOT match your room key. They have a master key that has a different number than all room keys, but is recognized by the locks. They can not open your safe with their master key card!

However, the point about losing your card and someone having access to your safe is reason enough for me to use something other than the room key:)

I feel the need to clarify a point here...the magnetic strip on the housekeeper master key does NOT match your room key. They have a master key that has a different number than all room keys, but is recognized by the locks. They can not open your safe with their master key card!

However, the point about losing your card and someone having access to your safe is reason enough for me to use something other than the room key:)

I agree with your above point with housekeeping. We do not use the room key because the safe can erase the strip. However losing your room key although a concern would not mean someone would access to your room unless you have written the room number on it. How does someone obtain that information assuming the ship follows standard security protocols for room safety?

how do the safes work?how many safes in a room?

See post #18. There is one safe in each room.

I use my driver's license because I always carry a picture ID anyway, so that way I don't have to carry an "extra" card on the ship -- just my DL and S&S card.

I agree with your above point with housekeeping. We do not use the room key because the safe can erase the strip. However losing your room key although a concern would not mean someone would access to your room unless you have written the room number on it. How does someone obtain that information assuming the ship follows standard security protocols for room safety?
Suppose someone sees you walking out of your room and you drop your S&S card. They pick it up and have instant access to your room and your safe. Mind you, I've never been worried about that actually happening, it's just a possibility. ;)

how do the safes work?how many safes in a room?

One safe per room. Use any magnetic swipe card. As others said, don't use S&S card. I used my AAA membership card and it worked fine. You open the safe, put stuff in it, then close it and swipe the card thru the reader to lock it. Then, when you need to unlock it, swipe the card again and it unlocks and automatically resets so you can use that card again or another card for future times. It's much simpler than you think.

Archived