Suite next to elevator?

HAL92

I'm considering booking SZ 5098 on the Eurodam for next summer. This room is right next to the outside elevators. I've never stayed in a room so close. Two questions: does Eurodam have those glass elevators on the outside like the Vista-class ships? .....and also, if you've ever stayed in a cabin with a balcony that's right next to one of these glass elevators, was the elevator intrusive on your balcony? It wouldn't be bad at all if it didn't have a balcony, I'd just prefer not to have people looking out the glass elevators on to my balcony.

In my experience on the Westerdam, I can't recall any time when I looked into the verandas while on the glass elevators as I was too busy enjoying the view outside.

I read another thread a few days ago (think I can find it now?) in which someone who had stayed in one of the cabins next to the elevator stated that there were no instances of staring, adding there were one or two passengers that looked over, but he just waved and smiled at them. I think unless you're going to sunbathe in the nude or be out there in your underwear, there's not much to worry about. :)

Thanks for the input. I will see if my TA can come up with any other superior verandah suites for that sailing, but if not, then that sounds good. I don't plan to go nude on the balcony or anything, but it's nice in the evenings to sit and relax on the balcony without worrying about people staring at you....but like you said, most of the time people look out to sea, not at the balconies, when riding the glass elevators. I've been on vista-class ships four times in the past, and when riding the glass elevators I've never really looked at the balconies.

And it's safe to assume that the Eurodam actually has glass elevators, correct?

Yes, the Eurodam has the glass elevators.

I'm wondering about the blocked view on the elevator side, and also the light from the elevator at night. I think the light would be intrusive.

GN

Yes the light could be intrusive at night.....but yoiu don't really look out the side of the balcony that much so a blocked view wouldn't really be much of an issue, you can still see everything. But yes, I see what you're saying since the elevator "sticks out" farther than your balcony, your view would be partially blocked on one side.

Has anyone ever stayed in a room with a balcony right next to an elevator? They would know better than anyone.

Thanks for your help.

As KK said, they're quite visible ... but most people riding the elevators either face the door or out to sea, and don't really gawk at the balconies to the side.

We noticed the same thing. No one seemed to be looking at the balconies, but rather at the sea (or they were facing the door).

We were one cabin over from the first cabin (next to the glass elevator) and unless you leaned out, you really couldn't see the elevator. I also wondered if we'd hear the "dings" from the elevators (both the glass and the regular), but we heard nothing. We were just a few doors down from the Neptune Lounge, which was really nice. We loved the location.

Has anyone ever stayed in a room with a balcony right next to an elevator? They would know better than anyone.

Thanks for your help.

Hi HAL92!

I just returned from an Alaska Cruise on the Oosterdam! It was a family trip and we had 3 suites all next to the glass elevators...Rooms 7066, 7067 and 7068!

We all loved our rooms! I had read a few posts on here before our cruise about concerns being next to the glass elevator and was starting to get worried. But after being there....I have no idea why anyone would be concerned! Unless of course you are a nudist! LOL:D

What exactly do you plan to do on your balcony that you are worried about a quick glance from someone on the elevator? I was out there in my robe or night shirt many times! You see more in the pool area! LOL

And...you definitely cannot see into the rooms at all, I checked it out while on the elevator myself!

First of all .....we loved how convenient it was to be right next to those center elevators...close to everything!

there were benches to sit in the elevator area where we would all meet to go to dinner together...easy meeting spot without walking down a long hall. Only a few doors away from the Neptune Lounge! There was no view obstruction at all! The elevator didn't stick out that much! And I never noticed any lights from the elevators at night....the glass is tinted dark! And we never heard the elevators either!

The elevator passes pretty quickly unless it is stopping at your floor and even then its pretty quick. The other positive is that you are only next to one other balcony...

so if you happen to have smokers out on the balcony next to you, you are only subject to one rather than possibly getting smoke from both sides!

Anyways....my experience was totally positive along with our other family members who were all next to the glass elevators. I cannot think of one negative to being in that location! I WOULD BOOK THAT ROOM AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT!

I hope this helps....If I missed anything, feel free to ask!:)

Hi HAL92!

I just returned from an Alaska Cruise on the Oosterdam! It was a family trip and we had 3 suites all next to the glass elevators...Rooms 7066, 7067 and 7068!

We all loved our rooms! I had read a few posts on here before our cruise about concerns being next to the glass elevator and was starting to get worried. But after being there....I have no idea why anyone would be concerned! Unless of course you are a nudist! LOL:D

What exactly do you plan to do on your balcony that you are worried about a quick glance from someone on the elevator? I was out there in my robe or night shirt many times! You see more in the pool area! LOL

And...you definitely cannot see into the rooms at all, I checked it out while on the elevator myself!

First of all .....we loved how convenient it was to be right next to those center elevators...close to everything!

there were benches to sit in the elevator area where we would all meet to go to dinner together...easy meeting spot without walking down a long hall. Only a few doors away from the Neptune Lounge! There was no view obstruction at all! The elevator didn't stick out that much! And I never noticed any lights from the elevators at night....the glass is tinted dark! And we never heard the elevators either!

The elevator passes pretty quickly unless it is stopping at your floor and even then its pretty quick. The other positive is that you are only next to one other balcony...

so if you happen to have smokers out on the balcony next to you, you are only subject to one rather than possibly getting smoke from both sides!

Anyways....my experience was totally positive along with our other family members who were all next to the glass elevators. I cannot think of one negative to being in that location! I WOULD BOOK THAT ROOM AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT!

I hope this helps....If I missed anything, feel free to ask!:)

Thanks so much!! That really helps out. Most of the responses I've gotten in this thread have been positive....and no I nor anyone in my family plan to go nude on the balcony...sometimes we like to sit out there at night and relax but WITH clothes:D

I was more worried about the noise from the elevator or people looking in to the room, but you said those aren't factors....since you can't actually see in to the room from the elevator. Also, you know how there are white dividers between two balconies....well, is there one of those on the other side of the balcony facing the elevator as well? Someone said that you can't really see the elevator unless you step out to the railing, so is there some sort of wall between the balcony and the elevator? From what I remember on the vista-class ships, there is something there........

And yes, now that I think about it there are actually some positives of being close to the center elevators, like not having to walk down long hallways to get to your suite........the more I think about it the more inclined I am to book 5098.....thanks to all who responded!

MissWindyCity...I did that exact same cruise two years ago :D(Alaska on the Oosterdam), but in suite 7048. How did you enjoy it?

Hi,

We also had the suite next to the glass elevators on the Oosterdam in December. NO PROBLEM at all!! In fact, we choose this location. Better to have the elevator next to you then some noisy neighbors. We never heard the elevator, and half of the time we did not even notice it or think about it when on the balcony. Would book that location again in a heartbeat.

Barbara

We also had suite next to elevator on an Oosterdam Alaskan cruise. I was worried at first but quickly got over it. Not an issue at all. In fact, we loved the location and would take suite there again in a heartbeat.

Thanks so much!! That really helps out. Most of the responses I've gotten in this thread have been positive....and no I nor anyone in my family plan to go nude on the balcony...sometimes we like to sit out there at night and relax but WITH clothes:D

I was more worried about the noise from the elevator or people looking in to the room, but you said those aren't factors....since you can't actually see in to the room from the elevator. Also, you know how there are white dividers between two balconies....well, is there one of those on the other side of the balcony facing the elevator as well? Someone said that you can't really see the elevator unless you step out to the railing, so is there some sort of wall between the balcony and the elevator? From what I remember on the vista-class ships, there is something there........

And yes, now that I think about it there are actually some positives of being close to the center elevators, like not having to walk down long hallways to get to your suite........the more I think about it the more inclined I am to book 5098.....thanks to all who responded!

MissWindyCity...I did that exact same cruise two years ago :D(Alaska on the Oosterdam), but in suite 7048. How did you enjoy it?

HAL92 -There was definitely some sort of partition next to the normal part of the balcony and you couldnt really see into the elevators unless you went all the way to the railing. And when you are in the elevator... you have to intentionally be looking from the outer section of the elevator off to the side! We definitely never heard any noise from the elevators.

I actually loved being able to get off the elevator and be right next to your room. Makes it so much easier to run back and forth to your room for anything. As a matter of fact....I found myself many times running back to the room to use my own bathroom rather than finding a public restroom in the hallways because it was so easy!

I loved our cruise on the Oosterdam! My brother and I took our parents for their 50th Wedding Anniversary and two other family members joined us. So...we had 3 suites all next to the elevators. Everyone had a great time...it was a wonderful family celebration!

I just finished downloading my pics...so I will be posting a link for anyone that wants to see!:)

Also, you know how there are white dividers between two balconies....well, is there one of those on the other side of the balcony facing the elevator as well? Someone said that you can't really see the elevator unless you step out to the railing, so is there some sort of wall between the balcony and the elevator? From what I remember on the vista-class ships, there is something there....

HAL92 -There was definitely some sort of partition next to the normal part of the balcony and you couldnt really see into the elevators unless you went all the way to the railing.

I was just looking a photo, and it's a little hard to be sure, but it appears there is a wall/divider that goes all the way up to the ceiling. See next post. :)

Originally Posted by MissWindyCity viewpost.gif

HAL92 -There was definitely some sort of partition next to the normal part of the balcony and you couldnt really see into the elevators unless you went all the way to the railing.

I was just looking a photo, and it's a little hard to be sure, but it appears there is a wall/divider that goes all the way up to the ceiling. See next post. :)

Yeah...that's why I seem to remember you had to actually walk to the railing to look into the side of the elevator. I think if you are sitting on a chair or lounger...you can't really see into the elevator!

And I believe it's the same if you are in the elvator looking out the side...you would only really catch a quick glimpse at the front section of the balcony!

Archived