Transfer to Port

:confused: I asked this question on a couple of the other boards not sure which place is the best place to ask about port questions. Need to get from London to Dover via train or bus? Any one done either, any suggestions. Also can we leave our luggage at the port before we get on the ship so we can tour Dover?? Can anyone help me please? Thanks-will be on Norwegian Dream 09/22. Jean:confused: :confused:

Hi, Jean:

I have been doing some research into the subject of (do your own) transfers.

I know that from London you could get to Dover by motorcoach from Victoria Station coach station (they have a few others around the city) or you could go by rail into Dover Priory Station and I understand the ferry service provides free buses to the pier. Another alternative is by car service or limosine. That's all I have for now. I am also interested in knowing if you can leave your luggage at the pier in order to see a little of Dover. I heard there are some interesting sights such as Dover Castle and a WWII museum. If you get any additional information let me know. I will be doing my own transfer from Heathrow to Dover more than likely.

• 2 weeks later...
You could go by rail into Dover Priory Station.

I find going from London (Charing Cross or, less often, Victoria Station) by train to Dover Priory Staton is the best way to get to the ship. There are cabs at the Priory Station and they will take you to the cruise terminal for five pounds, total. You can get the train schedules at http://www.britrail.net/book_tickets_fr.html

I asked this question on a couple of the other boards not sure which place is the best place to ask about port questions. Need to get from London to Dover via train or bus? Any one done either, any suggestions. Also can we leave our luggage at the port before we get on the ship so we can tour Dover??
You're in the right place. The best thing to do is to search this forum, and also the Britain forum and the Europe forum. You will find a wealth of experience and hints that no single post could summarise, including the answers to all your questions.

One tip: use the advanced search feature under "Search this forum" when you've got the forum's thread listing up - that will help you to focus on the threads or posts that will be of most help.

We just got back from a fabulous trip to the Baltics on the Constellation.

We took a cab from our hotel to Victoria station. We grabbed a luggage cart. The ticket window was close to the front. I purchased tickets while my husband waited with the luggage. They pointed me in the direction of the tracks. We stopped at a typical train station/airport kiosk to buy juice and danish. The 8:04 a.m. train was waiting so we got on. It was less than half full, so we were able to take 4 seats which faced each other with a table in between. On one side we piled the suitcases. We ate breakfast at the table and 2 hours later we were at Dover Priory. Just make sure you get on the correct cars. Some trains split in 2 somewhere along the line. Everyone on the train knew which cars were correct, because there is an electronic sign in the car. It is just easier to get on the correct car with the luggage. But since the train is sitting there, it is not a mad dash. Since Dover Priory is the last stop, you are not rushed to get off. Again, there are luggage carts. We used the elevators (lifts) to get to the the other side of the track where the terminal building was. We caught a cab to Dover. The ferry bus was at the train station, but they could only take you if you are going to the ferry.

Celebrity let us drop off our luggage at the office when we got there at 10:15. We stayed for about 5 minutes while they xrayed the luggage. Just enough time for a bathroom stop for me.

We started to walk towards the castle but decided it was too far, so we grabbed a cab coming into the terminal and went to the Dover Castle.

A hint about Dover Castle. You have to sign up ahead of time for the tunnel tour. But figure out how much time you want to spend on the Castle and do the tour last. The tunnel tour lets you off half way down the mountain. As you walk down the road going out, there is a staircase going down to the road on the left which is pretty close to the town of Dover. I understand there are taxi stands there. Otherwise you can go to the Castle dropoff entrance, which is different from the drive and park entrance and maybe get a cab there when the drop someone else off.

Have a great trip. For me it was a perfect vacation.

We used Londontown. com and enjoyed them immensly. They gave us a mini tour to the port and a slightly different minitour back. They picked us up at the hotel and returned us to the hotel. We stayed before (made sure luggage made it) and after (too tour London) so this worked out great for us. We also used them for our trip to and from Gatwick.

Archived