San Diego- cost of cabs?

skittl1321

We are currently booked to stay at the Ramada Inn Limited- airport. Internet reviews tell us not to expect much, but that it's in a safe area. They have a free airport shuttle, which is one fewer cab ride that we'll have to pay for- we do not plan on getting a rental car.

That said, how much do cabs tend to cost? We'll need a cab to the zoo and back (7 miles each way) as well as one to the cruise terminal (5 miles?) and then the cruise terminal to the airport.

We are planning on arriving on the 30th for a cruise on the 1st- so the only day we're hoping to tour around is the 31st.

Would it be worth it to rent a car? It seems like it would be more trouble then it's worth, as we'll have to get it back to the rental place and then get to the port.

I have researched rental car prices in San Diego for our stay in September and you can get rates as low as $21.00 a day from some of the bigger companies. Not sure how many taxis you are going to be taking but at that price it might be worth getting a rental?

Cheers

Pete

I would expect to pay about $20 each way from there to the Zoo in a cab. You could also look into taking the bus. Not really a bad location, but you are a lot further west (Point Loma) there, so you have to pass the airport on your way the the Zoo again.

Here is a sample bus route:

TO: ZOO

1. At 08:07 AM take the MTS BUS route 28B OLD TOWN

2. Get off the stop at OLD TOWN TRANSIT CENTER (ARRV) at approximately 08:25 AM.

3. At 08:31 AM take the MTS BUS route 10 CITY HEIGHTS

4. Get off the stop on UNIVERSITY at PARK BLVD at approximately 08:49 AM.

5. At 08:55 AM take the MTS BUS route 7 DOWNTOWN

6. Get off the stop on PARK BLVD at ZOO PLACE at approximately 08:59 AM.

7. walk 0.2 mile W to ZOO

Schedules and maps for your routes

Bus route 28

Bus route 10

Bus route 7

Fare Information

Regular Fare: $ 2.25

Senior & Disabled Fare: $ 1.00

You can do your own search here:

http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Information/Trip_Planning/index.asp

A car might be a better plan. All the major (and minor) car rental companies are very close to the airport and will pick you up, and most will shuttle you to the port when you drop off your car as well. The port is only about 2 miles from the airport.

All the major (and minor) car rental companies are very close to the airport and will pick you up, and most will shuttle you to the port when you drop off your car as well. The port is only about 2 miles from the airport.

Thanks for offering some insight on car rentals! Do you have any idea which car rental agencies will shuttle you from the airport to the cruise terminal in San Diego? That would save me some money, since I'll be dropping off my rental car prior to embarkation. Thank you.

I don't know of any of the majors (Avis, Hertz, Alamo, Enterprise, etc.) that will NOT do this, and even some of the little ones like "Rent a Wreck" will do this. I would recommend renting on-line at one of the sites that will allow you to compare prices. Most do NOT require payment in advance. Make a reservation, then call the local (San Diego) office directly to confirm that they will shuttle you to the port.

Here are the agencies that service the airport:

http://www.san.org/airport/ground_transportation/car_rental.asp

Archived