Help with information about Pan American Pier...

Bonnie Voyager

Okay, here is the scenario...We will be boarding Serenade of the Seas the same day that some Cruise Critic friends will be disembarking Serenade of the Seas. We would like to meet up at the cruise terminal just to say "hi". Is it feasible to assume that our friends can disembark and still be at the terminal around 10:00/10:30a.m. and that we can arrive at the terminal at 10:00/10:30a.m. and that there is a predetermined location at the terminal that we would all be granted access to so we can meet up and say "hi"? Does anyone understand what I mean? I know our friends won't be able to enter the boarding area and we won't be able to enter the disembarking area, but is there some "central" area where we can make a plan prior to our friends departing the week before to have them meet us as they disembark the ship and prior to us embarking the ship? Whooooaaaa, that was a mouthful! Any help would be appreciated! :D

Okay, here is the scenario...We will be boarding Serenade of the Seas the same day that some Cruise Critic friends will be disembarking Serenade of the Seas. We would like to meet up at the cruise terminal just to say "hi". Is it feasible to assume that our friends can disembark and still be at the terminal around 10:00/10:30a.m. and that we can arrive at the terminal at 10:00/10:30a.m. and that there is a predetermined location at the terminal that we would all be granted access to so we can meet up and say "hi"? Does anyone understand what I mean? I know our friends won't be able to enter the boarding area and we won't be able to enter the disembarking area, but is there some "central" area where we can make a plan prior to our friends departing the week before to have them meet us as they disembark the ship and prior to us embarking the ship? Whooooaaaa, that was a mouthful! Any help would be appreciated! :D

You can meet your friends in the parking lot after they fully disembark (with their luggage) and before you enter the building. I seem to remember the areas very well separated and that is the only area I can think of to meet if I had your dilemna.

You can meet your friends in the parking lot after they fully disembark (with their luggage) and before you enter the building. I seem to remember the areas very well separated and that is the only area I can think of to meet if I had your dilemna.

Hmmmm, not very glamorous, is it? ;) I do think our friends will have sent their luggage ahead with the onboard baggage check-in option so at least they won't have that to worry about. They will most likely be grabbing a cab and heading to Old San Juan. We will have already checked-in our luggage, so meeting in the parking lot is a possibility if that's all we have to work with. I am hoping to find some "landmark" to use as a meeting point. So we will at least know where in the parking lot to look for each other.

Bonnie, most likely they will be off the ship well before you are headed to the pier. Are you staying in Old San Juan the night before? Have you considered having them just have their taxi bring them to meet you in Old San Juan.

Bonnie, most likely they will be off the ship well before you are headed to the pier. Are you staying in Old San Juan the night before? Have you considered having them just have their taxi bring them to meet you in Old San Juan.

No, we are not staying in OSJ. I had already thought of that! We will be in Isla Verde and will probably leave to head to the pier around 10:00/10:30a.m. We will have done the OSJ bit the day before and don't want to go back there on embarkation day. We are just hoping to be able to cross paths briefly and say "hi" to our CC friends. We were hoping that they could "linger" as long as possible on the ship before disembarking (be the last group off) and then they could wait a little while in the port area until we can get there. We've been friends for years now but have NEVER met in person. That is what I LOVE about these boards! Some of my dearest friends are folks I've met here! It is always so exciting to finally meet face to face. Hopefully we will figure out a plan that is workable for both of us! :D

We had a 3:04 pm flight home so we "took our time" getting off the ship. We disembarked around 10:00-10:30 so I don't see why they couldnt "take their time" too. :D

As far as a "meeting place" - don't really recall any convenient areas to meet.

We had a 3:04 pm flight home so we "took our time" getting off the ship. We disembarked around 10:00-10:30 so I don't see why they couldnt "take their time" too. :D

As far as a "meeting place" - don't really recall any convenient areas to meet.

Thank you! I thought that they could probably "linger" as long as reasonably necessary! ;) We may just have to meet up in the parking lot like the prior poster stated. I've looked at photos of the port and it appears there is a covered area that extends out the front of the building. Perhaps we can hook up there. Do you recall such a spot? Here's a photo of what I am referring to but I don't know how old the photo is or if it is actually the Pan Am terminal...

1214752162046404671S425x425Q85.jpg

I'm sure it will be a mob scene at 10:30 on embarkation day with busses and taxis everywhere picking up the disembarking passengers but all we really want to do is say "hi" and meet these nice folks face to face for the first time and chat about the cruise for a few moments before they head off in one of those cabs and we begin the boarding process! Surely this will be workable. :D

Bonnie

Please keep in mind that it is hot as can be outside at the terminal. It's not uncommon for people to pass out in line while waiting to board the ship. The line is outside, not inside like in most cruise terminals. I would try to avoid getting there too early if posssible.

Bonnie

Please keep in mind that it is hot as can be outside at the terminal. It's not uncommon for people to pass out in line while waiting to board the ship. The line is outside, not inside like in most cruise terminals. I would try to avoid getting there too early if posssible.

Our "rendezvous" will occur in mid March when the average temps in san Juan are about 82 degrees. Certainly something to keep in mind though. I didn't realize we'd be waiting outside to board the ship. I have read many reviews that said they started boarding at 11:00/11:30 though, so I was using that as my gauge of when to arrive and allow time for the quick "get-together".

Bonnie, That could be the pan am pier, but I don't remember an awning like that coming out into the parking lot. I do remember a long covered walkway parallel to the ship and a large parking lot with no shade. If you meet at the pier, I think it will be a hectic, and little bit crazed visit. Enjoy your cruise!!

Thank you! I thought that they could probably "linger" as long as reasonably necessary! ;) We may just have to meet up in the parking lot like the prior poster stated. I've looked at photos of the port and it appears there is a covered area that extends out the front of the building. Perhaps we can hook up there. Do you recall such a spot? Here's a photo of what I am referring to but I don't know how old the photo is or if it is actually the Pan Am terminal...

1214752162046404671S425x425Q85.jpg

I'm sure it will be a mob scene at 10:30 on embarkation day with busses and taxis everywhere picking up the disembarking passengers but all we really want to do is say "hi" and meet these nice folks face to face for the first time and chat about the cruise for a few moments before they head off in one of those cabs and we begin the boarding process! Surely this will be workable. :D

Sorry to say that the photo is not the Pan Am Pier that the AOS uses. That one is on the other side of port.

The last time (a couple of years ago) that we used Pan Am, it was an older facilty that needed renovations. I think the parking lot suggestion is probably your best bet.

Sorry to say that the photo is not the Pan Am Pier that the AOS uses. That one is on the other side of port.

The last time (a couple of years ago) that we used Pan Am, it was an older facilty that needed renovations. I think the parking lot suggestion is probably your best bet.

Thanks! Having never been to the Pan Am pier it's hard to know what to expect! We will be sailing on Serenade but I know it leaves from the same pier as AOS. It sounds like it will be the parking lot or nothing! ;)

Hmmm. I don't recall anyone having to wait in line outside. Of course we purposely arrived later (@ 2:30) and there were only 5 people in front of us :) We stayed 3 days precruise and were still "enjoying" Old San Juan. The "in" part of the terminal is seperated from the "out" part and I would imagine those people arriving early would be allowed to wait in the "in" part and only if that area filled up would the line go out the door. I may be wrong.....anybody ?? There were chairs (some) too.

Thank you! I thought that they could probably "linger" as long as reasonably necessary! ;) We may just have to meet up in the parking lot like the prior poster stated...

all we really want to do is say "hi" and meet these nice folks face to face for the first time and chat about the cruise for a few moments before they head off in one of those cabs and we begin the boarding process! Surely this will be workable. :D

Bonnie, I have a feeling that your friends will find a little heat and logistics to be small challenges compared to getting to meet up for a few minutes. Bet they'll be real flexible. Friends can't pass up a great "small world" opportunity like that if they can help it!

Bonnie, I have a feeling that your friends will find a little heat and logistics to be small challenges compared to getting to meet up for a few minutes. Bet they'll be real flexible. Friends can't pass up a great "small world" opportunity like that if they can help it!

Well, my friend, I'm game if you're game! ;) See you there! :D

Archived