Help me choose a hotel in FLL!

xan51090

We are cruising out of FLL the early part of 2008 and have been looking at hotels to stay at 1 night pre-cruise. After much time spent reasearching on these boards, trip advisor, review sites, etc., we've narrowed it down to 3 - HIX & Embassy Suites both on 17th and Hampton Inn/Plantation. We want a place where we can walk to restaurants & shopping for last minute things (wine, liquor, etc.) and are in a safe area at a reasonalbe cost. Shuttles are a plus. Anyone who has any insight, pro or con, on any of these hotels please comment. Thanks in advance!:)

We are cruising out of FLL the early part of 2008 and have been looking at hotels to stay at 1 night pre-cruise. After much time spent reasearching on these boards, trip advisor, review sites, etc., we've narrowed it down to 3 - HIX & Embassy Suites both on 17th and Hampton Inn/Plantation. We want a place where we can walk to restaurants & shopping for last minute things (wine, liquor, etc.) and are in a safe area at a reasonalbe cost. Shuttles are a plus. Anyone who has any insight, pro or con, on any of these hotels please comment. Thanks in advance!:)

I would go with the Embassy Suites on 17th Street.

Plantation is all the way out in, well, Plantation.

The Embassy is on the water and two blocks to the beach.

It's under 15 minutes to the port from Plantation, not too far in my book. The other nice thing about Plantation is that it's not geared to the tourist, therefore your not paying a premium for lodging, restaurants or shopping as you would in the tourist areas. So bottomline, you want more bang for your buck look to the suburbs. ;)

I too am looking for lodging for the 1st of january. I keep stumbling across the Confort Inn FLL. Any cons to this hotel.

What I've seen so far is that is was mediocre, then was remodeled and now is at least good. Any first hand experience ?

Price is good, location is very good, everything else is subjective and I cant tell from photos.

We are booked at the Hampton Inn Plantation...with a free airport/hotel shuttle, close to a mall, restaurants and a Super Target etc, plus free breakfast, it seemed like a perfect deal to me. All the reviews I have read have been great as well.

Since the hotel does provide airport/hotel shuttle, I can only imagine that the hotel could not be that far away from the airport.

Oh, I forgot to mention that they also have a shuttle to the cruise pier!

Bequia, last month we drove from Plantation to LBTS (granted it is the only time we've ever driven this) it took us 40 minutes with traffic. Could that have been a fluke?

Not sure what LBTS is?

I Googled it for you, it's only 10.7 miles from the port. Google says it's 18 minutes away, that's nonsense, it's all highway, easily under 15 minutes. Forty minutes, no way, even during the week during peak rush hour, there's so many alternate routes that will get you there in under 15 minutes. Heck, it's barely 10 minutes to the airport.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=7801+SW+6th+St,+Fort+Lauderdale,+FL+33324&geocode=&daddr=Port+Everglades&f=d&hl=en&sll=26.113712,-80.252949&sspn=0.006859,0.009978&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13&om=1

We booked the Hampton Inn Plantation for our November cruise. We paid 132.09 (including taxes) for 4 people. Since it is part of the Hilton chain, we get Hilton points & airline miles (they let you double dip).

None of the Ft Lauderdale hotels will bring you to the Port of Miami or even Miami Airport. :o

I'm thinking about flying into FLL too because of cost. Could you find out how much a taxi would be from where you live to port of Miami? I would appreciate that. Thank You:)

I'm thinking about flying into FLL too because of cost. Could you find out how much a taxi would be from where you live to port of Miami? I would appreciate that. Thank You:)

A taxi runs anywhere from $70- $85 depending on traffic. There is however the Tri County Airport Express shared ride shuttle service that charges $18 per person from FLL to the Port of Miami. No reservations required, just show up and go.

When you arrive at the airport, collect your luggage and go outside the baggage claim area, lower level, curbside, contact one of the starters (customer services reps.) wearing a white shirt with "AIRPORT EXPRESS" in red on the back of the shirt and an emblem on the sleeve and over the breast pocket. Let the starter know what service you are interested in and he/she will assist you.

http://www.floridalimo.com/Pages/sharedr.html

My husband and I stayed in the Hampton Inn/Plantation this past Jan. and it is our favorite of the Fort Lauderdale area Hampton Inns. We called for their shuttle at the airport and were taken to the property which is across the street from a large shopping mall. The Hampton was quite pleasant and in a nice setting. We took a long walk the next morning before checking out and taking their shuttle to the ship. The staff was very friendly and eager to please. We will definitely stay there again on our next cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.

None of the Ft Lauderdale hotels will bring you to the Port of Miami or even Miami Airport. :o

That's not true.......the Ramada Inn cruise port/airport offers a cruise package. We stayed there in May and they picked us up at the Miami cruise port. I know alot of people on here bash that hotel but we really enjoyed our stay and have booked it again for 2 nights this Nov. (pre-cruise)

I appreciate all this info because I've spent all morning checking out FLL/port Everglades hotels on the internet. The Embassy Suites sounded good, but it's all booked for the day I need in Jan.'08. I will look into the Hampton Inn - I would really like to book a hotel so I don't have to keep researching - it's making me crazy!!!!

I just booked the LaQuinta for 1 night in Jan. for $108. It has shuttles to and from airport & to pier, and expanded cont. breakfast. Good reviews, too.

Good price. Haven't seen it that low, so far. Which LQ location and who did you book it through, if I may ask?

Richard

We are taking a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in early March, and we're looking at the St. Regis; the location looks very good for both the airport and Port Everglades, and we can just relax overnight there before boarding.

This should put us in "cruise" mode! :)

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregis/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1512

Give the Hampton Inn - Plantation a look. I have booked it for one night before our Christmas cruise. The AAA rate is $107, plus tax. This is just about the best rate I could find in the FLL area for 12/22. As others have posted, free airport and cruiseport shuttle and breakfast is included. Also, my in-laws can (who live near Tampa) can leave their car there during the cruise. Thanks to those who recommended hotel this to me! :)

Did you check Extended Stay? They are right next door to the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street and it's a newer hotel.

I'm looking for feedback on this hotel. Has anyone stayed there or know anything about it?

Give the Hampton Inn - Plantation a look. I have booked it for one night before our Christmas cruise. The AAA rate is $107, plus tax. This is just about the best rate I could find in the FLL area for 12/22. As others have posted, free airport and cruiseport shuttle and breakfast is included. Also, my in-laws can (who live near Tampa) can leave their car there during the cruise. Thanks to those who recommended hotel this to me! :)

just checked this hotel for 1/5/2008 for one night AARP rate $197!!

We recently stayed at the FLL Hilton....exactly 1.5 miles from the airport and 2 miles to the port. AND 1 mile from my new favorite restaurant of all time The Rustic Inn crab house :D

We ended up staying there a total of 3 nights...got a poolside room with a lanai...loved it.

Archived