Independent tours or ships

vfb2girls

We are sailing on the Legend and since this is our very first time in Grand Cayman was wondering what others have done when booking their excursions. I know that we want to visit the turtle farm, hell but not sure if we want to do the stingrays. Laying around on a beach is not something that we are interested in, we are more interested in seeing things...any suggestions? There are a few excursions through the ship but I have read that these excursions are crowded. I would like to hear from those who have taken their excusions through the ship..what your opinions were. I felt very comfortable booking independent for our Alaskan cruise but somehow this cruise is causing me to be a little more concerned. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hello,

we have been in Grand Cayman about 3 months ago on our Explorer cruise.

I am not going to advise you to any particular activity but I do recommend that you look at the activity guide for Cayman, I tried before to post the link but for whatever reason it did not work, so you may look it up on your own. There are many interesting things in there including some discount coupons.

Be aware of: there might be a time difference between you 'ship's time' and local time, so if you book something on your own take this in consideration especially if it might be close to your departure time.

Wes

That is one of the things I most worry about, making it back to the ship on time and the time differences. I realize that the tour operators state that they never have had anyone miss the ship but I also do not want to have to worry about making it back on time either and I know my husband will freak. This is the only port I am most concerned with since we do tender. I also am worried about when we do tender and I have an independent tour booked that we won't be able to get off the ship early enough. There was some problems with this with Carnival not letting some patrons off in time so they missed the transportation. When they compalined Carnival told them that they should of booked with Carnival not independent.

It is pretty normal and proper IMO for any cruise line that will give the priority to the guests that have excursions done through the ship - that is the cruise line's obligation.

But yes, there are some concerns for example: if you did book and are on an excursion done by the ship and the weather conditions are changing, and it might be too risky to get back on the ship - the tour operators(contracted by the ship) are in contact with the ship and will get you back sooner so you can get back, .... if you are on your own - you are on your own, someplaces the risk is greater than in others.

Wes

I agree.. Captain Marvins ROCKS!

We did the stingray/hell/turtle farm tour

last June and we made it back to the ship

in plenty of time! There was no restriction

to getting off the ship either early in the am.

We are sailing on the Legend and since this is our very first time in Grand Cayman was wondering what others have done when booking their excursions. I know that we want to visit the turtle farm, hell but not sure if we want to do the stingrays. Laying around on a beach is not something that we are interested in, we are more interested in seeing things...any suggestions? There are a few excursions through the ship but I have read that these excursions are crowded. I would like to hear from those who have taken their excusions through the ship..what your opinions were. I felt very comfortable booking independent for our Alaskan cruise but somehow this cruise is causing me to be a little more concerned. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hello vfb2girls, I will be on the Legend going to GC too. You might want to check out the following:

http://www.captainmarvins.com/hellturtle.htm

http://www.shoretrips.com/common/sea...M&tcode=005292

Personally, I am considering doing one of these with a submarine/semi-submarine excursion. There should be plenty of time to do the tour as they only last an hour or so. If you are worried, try to leave two hours before the ship is supposed to leave port so you have enough cushion for any problems that might never develop. Hope this helps! :D

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back off the Inspiration. Yes, as soon as the ship was cleared, ONLY passengers who had purchased Carnival excursions disembarked to the tender boats using the front gangway. BUT it was really no big deal because, anyone could get off using the rear gangway at that time as well. We had an independent tour with Moby Dick Tours (awesome!) so we used the rear gangway. There was no waiting to get off and no crowds. And after 9:30, anyone could use either gangway.

Worrying about getting off the ship in time is not an issue in this particular port...at least not on the Carnival ships.

Hey! We just got back from a 7 day cruise. One day in Cayman - with Peter of FatFishAdventures.com. We HAD AN AMAZING time with Peter! We rented a four man jet boat and Peter guided us on a Jet Ski. We went out first thing to Stingray City sandbar to beat the crowd. He got off and picked up a stingray for us! We fed it and he answered all of our questions. He then took us to his own private snorkeling location. There was no one else there. The reef was teaming with sea life. The visability was crystal clear! We were very hungry and tired, so he took us to a club called Kaibo and we beached our watercraft and dined on local conch chowder, fish and burgers while sipping on Margarita's and hearing about Peter's upbringing in Jamaica. It was a very rich experience. We paid $100 per hour for four hours and it WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY. The jet boat is a real kick in the pants. it got up to about 50 miles an hour. A reall thrill ride. My kids are 10 and 13 and they loved it. Peter will tell you how to find him. It was easy, not a single problem. We got back to the ship in PLENTY of time. Go to his web site.

We just returned from the Legend and by far our favorite of the week was our excursion with Moby Dicks in Grand Cayman. Very professional and fun tour guides, made sure everyone was comfortable and safe. Can't say enough good stuff about them. We had no trouble at all getting to their site or returning to ship on time. Plus, it was about 50% less than the ship's excursion!

Cayman time is one hour earlier than ship time. (i.e. 11:30 ship time is 10:30 Cayman time.) BUT, we found that most tours know this and give you the ship's time. If taking an independent excursion, just verify time with vendor.

Cayman time is one hour earlier than ship time. (i.e. 11:30 ship time is 10:30 Cayman time.) BUT, we found that most tours know this and give you the ship's time. If taking an independent excursion, just verify time with vendor.

This is NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!

Cayman Time is not always one hour earlier. It depends on the time of year. Cayman does not move clocks ahead one hour in the Spring and does not move them back in the Fall. From the end of October through the end of March, island time will be the same as ship time. Also, if you are on the Carnival Liberty (or possibly other Carnival ships?), they will switch ship time to island time while you are in Cayman and maybe a day after as well. Then, they will switch back.

So, the answer is that it all depends and to pay attention as to what time the island is on (and that depends on the time of year) and what time the ship is on (and that depends on the ship or line).

I personally like booking thru the ship for I tend to be a bit paranoid. I would say do the Stingrays. 4 years after we were there my daughters are still talking about it. A bit freaky at first but so much fun. I have done stingray tours other places and none, I mean none have been as good. I only wish that we could have stayed longer on the island as it was wonderful.:D

How long does it usually take Capt. Marvin to answer emails? I sent him questions two weeks ago and got no response at all.

I think you may want to email Capt. Marvin again. I have written to them several times with questions and they have always answered within a couple of days. Each response has been quick, informative and very helpful.

Archived