Sydney/Cape Breton Link!

I found this link today while looking for something else.. info is hard to find about Sydney sometimes... this should be helfpul to some of you still planning:

http://capebretonisland.com/directory/Accommodations_-_Travel_Info/Activities_and_Attractions/

This is really a lovely area IMHO only with lots to offer.. just remember how foggy it can be if you decide to do the Trail while you are there.. it can be a great day or a real bust:(

Caroline...I thought you felt it to much to try to rent a car and drive part of the Cabot Trail??? I'd love to get somewhere to take in the fall foliage...any ideas?

That's why I posted that a day on the Cabot Trail can be divine or a real bust!! If it's foggy (and you won't know till you get there as it can be clearer in Sydney and foggy on the peninsulsa) you will really waste your day by private car or tour.

The fall foliage (if nature cooperates and it's "in bloom") should be beautiful in Sydney itself and out near Baddeck. The drive to Louisbourg would be pretty but IMHO you'd probably do better in Baddeck. Also Halifax area (and sailing in) and around Portland... Sydney is a lot further north though and unless they have another kindy of "freaky fall" like they did last year when the nighttime temps were still in high 50's in late Sept. the foliage should be prettier there earlier than on the first "leg" of the cruise.

I was able to find a rental car through Enterprise in Sydney. It was only like $35 canadian for the day. We are going to go to the Fort Louisberg. Since the Victory gets there at 7:00 a.m. we are picking the rental car up at 8:00, plan on being to the fort by 9:00 to 10:00, spend 4 to 5 hours at fort and eating lunch there, and return to Sydey at 2:00, getting back at Sydney around 3:00. This should leave us two hours to walk around Sydney before getting back on the ship at 5:00 for a 6:00 p.m. departure. Hopefully it will be a pretty fall day on 22 Sep. Best part is we can alter our plans if the weather is lousy.

Has anyone rented a car in Sydney before? Enterprise had two locations in Sydney, one at Airport and one Downtown. We picked downtown and hopefully it isn't too far fromt he port. Hopefully directions to the fort are also pretty good and it's easy to find.

Sydney isn't very big at all.. so you should have no trouble getting car from the "downtown" location. and do allow some time to walk about.. Sounds like you have the perfect day planned and the way we will do it next time... Louisbourg is fascinating and way, way too much to do in an hour and a half. The eateries there looked very good.. also didn't have time to sample them:(

The locals have info on tours, local vendors etc. in terminal by the ship.. you can get a map there.. we did the ship tour (big mistake) to Louisbourg --it wasn't really that far from town.

Caroline, a couple of ? about driving the Cabot trail. Is there a way in Sydney to check on the fog? On a good day, how long would the loop take (we dock at 8, go at 5, so assume we have maybe 6 hours)? Most descriptions say to go clockwise, but counter looks like you could go partway and then return.

Thanks.

Gerry

I doubt that the folks in town would know how foggy it was unless the whole area was simply socked in.. when we went to Louisbourg they said fog would be pretty bad that day and by 11:00 it was very clear!

A friend from Toronto who spent almost a week on Cape Breton last summer told me that if I didn't have at least a whole day to forget the trail bec. there are so many scenic areas etc. and that time of year with foliage etc. there are tour buses, RVs, more cars --it's their "high season"... I guess you could do it in 6 hours if you didn't stop, have lots of traffic etc. Starting at Ingonish would be best..

Remember the cardinal rule of the "non-ship tour day".. allow plenty of time for any unexpected happenings that could cause you to be late... you don't want to be waving at the ship, but from it! :eek:

I know when you drive in Mexico, Americans need to contact their insurance agent in advance and/or purchase special temporary coverage at border. Does anyone know how driving in Canada is treated by American car insurers?

Archived