Need advice for dive mask/snorkel for beginners

lumpkin

Hi, we are going to snorkel and SNUBA on our Princess Cruise in late August, and I want to get family (10 yr old, 13 yr old, and myself) a mask that clears easily and fits well, without having to go thru the fitting process. I was going to order from scuba.com, the following:

Tusa Liberator Plus with purge, adn the Oceanic ultra Dry snorkel.

Does anyone know if these are good items, and truly fit well, and does the snorkel stay dry? They are pricey, but I assume they will last for many years.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, we are going to snorkel and SNUBA on our Princess Cruise in late August, and I want to get family (10 yr old, 13 yr old, and myself) a mask that clears easily and fits well, without having to go thru the fitting process. I was going to order from scuba.com, the following:

Tusa Liberator Plus with purge, adn the Oceanic ultra Dry snorkel.

Does anyone know if these are good items, and truly fit well, and does the snorkel stay dry? They are pricey, but I assume they will last for many years.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just bought masks and snorkels for my two kids, ages 15 and 11. I took them to a large dive shop to make sure we got a good fit. I really didn't know if adult masks would be too big for the 11yo, and I was pretty sure kids' masks would be too small. My 15yo has a somewhat slender face, as I wasn't sure if that would limit his selection. As it turned out both kids had 3-4 choices that fit equally well and ended up with adult masks.

We did try on a couple of different Tusa masks including a Liberator, though I don't think it was the Plus with purge. All of the Tusa masks were very, very comfortable and even fit my 15yo. Nice! I don't think you'll go wrong with that one. We bought Cuda dry snorkels. I think any better quality dry snorkel should be fine.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip!

Thanks, SNS101, for the quick reply. For my kids, comfort will be the make or break aspect of whether they are willing to wear them anytime in the future after our snuba dive. So good to know your kids found them very comfortable....I think I will be making this purchase this weekend.

I want to get family (10 yr old, 13 yr old, and myself) a mask that clears easily and fits well, without having to go thru the fitting process.

Hopefully I am not too late. I second SNS101 on the part about going to a dive shop ... especially if you're going to spend good $$ to get one that lasts. You can't be guaranteed a really good fit unless you try them - you might get lucky but chances are it won't work for all of you because everybody's face shape/size is different and masks really vary.

(And I also own a TUSA mask for diving - not a Liberator -and it's fine but I am not wild about it. Not that a TUSA Liberator might not work for one of you - just to point that what is comfortable for someone else isn't relevant.)

Thanks, Daldog. No, you are not too late. I did not order yet. The reason I was leaning towards the Tusa Liberator PLUS is that it was advertised as fitting the widest variety of faces/heads, and as being very comfortable. Also, the snorkel was advertised as the only one that is truly 100% dry. Of course, one can't always believe advertising! I was hoping to save a trip to a dive shop, since finding the time to bring everyone there was going to be difficult. I will consider your good advice!

You will love any Tusa mask. They are pretty much known for the quality of their masks and fins. After buying a $175 mask from a different company I just got a Visio from Tusa. It is great; lots of extra visibility.

As for the dry snorkel, any brand should work they all work on the same principle. It is well worth the extra money. It changed snorkeling and scuba for me forever. I promise you will love it!

Good luck!

I was hoping to save a trip to a dive shop, since finding the time to bring everyone there was going to be difficult.

Yes, I understand! Too bad you don't have time to order 1, and have everybody test drive it in a pool somewhere.

Just to be clear .... if you do decide to go for it, I didn't mean to imply that TUSA doesn't make a fine product or that it is uncomfortable. The mask skirt is plenty comfortable, the view is great. But for me and my face, with my particular mask, it leaks around my nose - I just live with it and clear it alot :) .

Also, I'd be curious to hear somebody who owns a mask with a purge valve speak to whether its worth it. I have never tried one; I would think if you get a good one that fits, and somebody teaches them how to clear properly before you snuba (easier done with a little depth) you'd probably not need that. I'd agree with everyone else that the dry snorkels are very nice to have.

PS Which late August cruise? We're on Caribbean Princess 8/19.

Daldog, we are on the Crown Princess, also leaving on 8/19, from Brooklyn. We live in NYC so this saves us the airfare......

Not much time to test-drive the mask before the cruise....the purge feature is just $2 extra, so I figure if it does not work great, they will just have to clear their masks the usual way....the price is worth taking a chance on.

Have a great cruise!

Archived