$$$ Limit on SeaPass?

ericso

Hi there, I'm new to cruising, and my girl and I will be sailing over the southern Caribbean, boarding the Adventure of the Seas on december the 16th.

But among other questions this one came up to my mind now, How much does the cruise line will charge me to open my account with the SeaPass if I'm payin with credit card, I mean is there a daily rate?? or maybe you just leave a open voucher, without caring that I have 500 dolars of limit for example.

Did I explain myself??

Thanx

And sorry for my english.

Hi there, I'm new to cruising, and my girl and I will be sailing over the southern Caribbean, boarding the Adventure of the Seas on december the 16th.

But among other questions this one came up to my mind now, How much does the cruise line will charge me to open my account with the SeaPass if I'm payin with credit card, I mean is there a daily rate?? or maybe you just leave a open voucher, without caring that I have 500 dolars of limit for example.

Did I explain myself??

Thanx

And sorry for my english.

Hello erisco, and welcome to the Cruise Critic

the cruise line does not charge you anything for opening / creating the on board account / Sea Pass.

The Sea Pass is just like a credit card that you will use it on board the ship to pay for: drinks, whatever you buy in the stores, cassino, spa services (if you use them) specialty restaurant. All the items that you need to pay for, are charged to your Sea Pass card and you will sign a receipt for every purchase, The Sea Pass is also your key to your cabin and your ID when you leave or enter the ship.

Before you open the Sea Pass account, they will check your credit card and keep the numbers on file. At the end of the cruise you may pay your Sea Pass account in cash or leave it on your credit card (that is where they will transfer the balance) and pay it as you normally would pay for your credit card. Your limit on the Sea Pass account will be whatever is your limit on the credit card that you use to open the Sea Pass account.

Did I answer your question ?

Wes

Does that mean they will "max out" your credit card with a hold? I've heard there used to be a problem with this in europe, they would place a hold for the available amount & then you could not use the card anywhere else.

Does that mean they will "max out" your credit card with a hold? I've heard there used to be a problem with this in europe, they would place a hold for the available amount & then you could not use the card anywhere else.

Hi mail-girl,

I believe they do that with debit cards ( hold) but not sure about credit cards ...... but it is possible - they want to make sure that there is enought money left on the card card to pay for what 'you' have spent.

But I have also seen people (that did not have credit cards) that would just leave some cash with the cruise line's 'workers' during the boarding process ( not sure what is the min).

Wes

If you have a low limit card, I think you mentioned $500, there could be problems. I think they somehow check the charges periodically but don't put them through until later. You could very easily exceed $500 on board.

The Purser's office will know your credit card limit. Remember that the auto-tip of $10.00 pp/pd will come off your credit card. They'll put a hold on that amount. If you want to put cash down, I think that it's $250.00 pp (not sure, so someone correct me!). As Trish said, it's very easy to spend over $500.00 onboard :D .

ericso, your english is fine! You'll have an open voucher up to whatever the limit is on your credit card ($500.00 or $5000.00 :D ). If you want to put down cash to lower your credit card bill, there's no problem.

Ok, so if give them my Amex I wont have any trouble at all. The problem will be paying afterwards :D .

Hi erisco,

yes that will be a problem afterwards especially if you spend a lot during the cruise , and that is easy to do.

I have read another of your posts, that you are going to do something special during that cruise - congratulations.

Enjoy your cruise,

Wes

Hi erisco,

yes that will be a problem afterwards especially if you spend a lot during the cruise , and that is easy to do.

I have read another of your posts, that you are going to do something special during that cruise - congratulations.

Enjoy your cruise,

Wes

Thanks Wes, yes I'm plannin to make it special, but I dont know how predictable it can be, anyway I have 4 months to think about it.:cool:

I'll keep you informed

No problem with Amex since there is no credit limit.

Cruise line puts a hold on your credit card. It is somewhere around 60.00 Per Person Per Day. The cruise line can be contacted to find out the actual amount for a particular cruise line. Some of the cruise line web sites have this published but you have to hunt around for it.

You have to be very careful what your credit card limit is. Many people go on shore and cannot buy anything because of the hold.

Keep in mind it is only a hold and the card is not charged until the end of your cruise with only the amount that you actually spend.

Archived