Yellow Fever vaccine?

pipster37

It depends where in South America you are going.

If going into the Amazon basin, you'll probably need Yellow Fever protection.

If going to Buenos Aires and 'round the Horn, no.

Check with your local health dept or CDC for info.

I had to get the yellow fever when I went to the Amazon on a Princess cruise. I flew into Buenas Aires last January for a cruise to antartica and did NOT need ANY vaccinations. The yellow fever vaccination isn't common enough to be had at a regular doctors office, we had to go to a public health clinic.

We did a South America/Antarctica last winter on HAL (Prinsendam). We visited a travel clinic and they confirmed what HAL had told us -- that we would need yellow fever shots. I would first get confirmation that I needed it before I go for the shot -- also, not everyone should take this shot so you need to consult a good travel physician and check that out also (I do believe that you can get a certificate to carry that will work if you are not a candidate for this innoculation).

The reasons that you would need this innoculation are two fold: first, do you need it to keep yourself healthy and second, will it be required to enter any countries that you will visit.

The shots last for 10 years -- my DH had no issues with his at all, I had some minor issues (a sore itchy rash on my arm and I did not feel quite right, though not that wrong, for about two weeks).

Good luck whatever you do.

We did 30 days in South America Argentina -- Around the Horn - Up the West Coast -- Thru the Panama Canal -- Did not need any shots.

Again -- I hear unless your are planning to go into the jungle areas - they are really not needed.

To Cujosmom, We have not decided. For the last 2 years we have been on Oceania and have booked way in advance, to find out some people book a month before and got some great deals. We were booked on Oceania this April and had to cancel, I came down with a severe sinus infection and my doctor said it may be unwise to fly and cruise, so we would like to go somewhere Oct or Nov. Thinking of trying the Azamara to South America. I called them and they said you do not need visas until Jan. 08., but I was concerned about the yellow fever. I found a website that has a great price on the SA cruise with Azamara Dec. 11, I think they also have sometime in Nov. but I believe the ports are different. We are still deciding. Pip

Thinking of trying the Azamara to South America. I called them and they said you do not need visas until Jan. 08., but I was concerned about the yellow fever. Pip

I couldn't find anything on the internet about a new requirement for a visa starting in Jan 08. I wonder is this for Brazil only? Or are they talking about the visa one pays for at the airport when you arrive in Chile? Anyone know the specifics?

Pipster, I think some things may have gotten mixed-up in your conversation with Azamara. If your cruise goes to Brazil you most certainly need personal Visas now, and they are a bit of a pain and quite expensive ($100 if you go to a consulate in person (it takes at least 2 days to get the Visa) or $110 + expenses if you use a Visa Service). You would also need passports. I do not know about your other countries (you do not need a Visa for Argentina) but it is a good idea to carefully check the Visa requirements for each country on the US State Department Web site and than confirm on the specific countries web site. Do not be too trustful of Azamara since we got bad Visa info from Celebrity for our SA cruise last February (they corrected their error a few weeks before the cruise).

Hank

Pipster--as Hlitner said, you do need a visa to enter Brazil. You got bad info from Azamara. We are on the 11/29 sailing and plan to go to the consulate around the first of September. My understanding is that you have to enter the country within 90 days of the issue of the visa.

Archived