Paos Volcano National Park - OR

Diva Onboard

We are debating between a shore excursion to the Paos Volcano National Park or the Ultimate Costa Rica Tour which primarily includes the Cafe Britt Coffee Planation.

One of our concerns would be how strenuous the National Park would be (elevation 8,112 feet above sea level) and the fact that once you are there, you may not even get to see the volcano because of cloud cover.

If you have any info on either of these excursions, please post it here.

Elaine

The last time we were there, my wife and I were passed on the walk to the volcano's edge by:

a) a woman trailing an oxygen bottle on wheels behind her, and

b) an elderly women using a crutch.

That really happened.

The walk from the parking area is neither very far (guessing 1/4 mile or less) nor very steep.

Worst case is that you won't see into the caldera due to the clouds/fog. The park area has some amazing cloud cloud forrest vegetation and is, imho, worth the trip any way.

Paul

I was in Costa Rica last June and visited the Poas Volcano. It is a hike but on all paved or blacktop to the crator. It was letting off steam and quite cool to see. you can also hike up other trails after the main crator and see some beautiful bowls filled with water or a small lake. Amazing sites. Costa Rica is a beautiful country. I did nit visit Cafe Britt but another small coffe plantation in the north , very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to the Poas Volcano several years ago while on a trans-canal cruise. We did not find the walk from the parking lot strenuous. Our driver convinced the Rescue Squad stationed there to take my husband who was in a wheelchair to the edge, but I do not think that even pushing him would have been difficult.

You are correct however that, depending on cloud cover, you may not be able to see the volcano. Also, it was a long ride from Puntarenas, but we enjoyed seeing the country side and thought that it was worth it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived