Hotel choice for London (Hilton)

Hello,

My husband and I will be arriving in London on October 7th to take a cruise out of Dover on the 8th. We will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary. I have accumulated enough points with Hilton to get a night at any of their categories of hotels. So I thought we would splurge. We are arriving at Gatwick at 7am and want to hit the highlights of London in the day that we have. Then spend the night and get up the next morning and travel to Dover for the cruise. Here is a list of the hotels that are available. Do any of you know anything (pros or cons) about any of these hotels?? Thanks in advance for all your help!!

The Trafalgar London, The Waldorf Hilton, Hilton London Green Park hotel, London Hilton on Park Lane Hotel, Hilton London Euston Hotel, Hilton London Tower Bridge Hotel, Hilton London Metropole Hotel, Hilton London Paddington Hotel, Hilton London Islington Hotel, Hilton London Hyde Park Hotel, Hilton London Olympia hotel, Hilton London Kensington hotel, Hilton London Docklands hotel, Hilton London Canary Wharf Hotel, Wembley Plaza, Hilton Croydon hotel, Hilton London Heathrow Airport, Hilton Watford Hotel, Hilton Dartford Bridge Hotel, Hilton Cobham, Hilton London Gatwick Airport, Hilton Bracknell hotel, Hilton London Stansted Airport Hotel, Hilton St. Anne’s Manor (Bracknell), Hilton Maidstone hotel, Hilton Milton Keynes hotel, Hilton Basingstoke hotel, Hilton Brighton Metropole hotel

Thanks,

Lori and Keith

I've stayed in the Park Lane - great location just a short walk to Buckingham Palace and most of the sights - also just behind the hotel there are some lovely pubs that do nice food.

Islington is another nice hotel - short walk to the tube.

jj.....

Of your long list the only ones suitable for sightseeing in the centre are:

The Trafalgar London, The Waldorf Hilton, Hilton London Green Park hotel, London Hilton on Park Lane Hotel, Hilton London Euston Hotel, Hilton London Metropole Hotel, Hilton London Paddington Hotel.

Given that you will probably be coming into London Victoria and departing to Dover from Victoria, the most convenient are:

The Trafalgar London, The Waldorf Hilton, Hilton London Green Park hotel, London Hilton on Park Lane Hotel.

Of these The Trafalgar is the only one that gets consistent indifferent feedback. The Hilton on Park Lane is probably the most expensive of this subset so if you can get this for the same as the others then this gives you more bangs per buck. The Waldorf and the Hilton Green Park have better locations, walkable to many of the places you will want to visit.

handfordr,

Thank you for the wonderful input. We are actually arriving in London via Gatwick, and not sure how we will get to Dover yet (train?). I don' t know if that matters with the suggestions that you have below...but I thought I'd mention it. I am still researching how we will get from London to Dover for the cruise. And all of the hotels will be covered via points. So if they are more expensive, it will not be much difference to us with the points. We just want the best deal for the points that we are using. Would love to splurge, if it makes sense (I don't know if a category 6 hotel in London is the same as one in the States).

Thanks!

Lori

You can check hotel reviews on http://www.tripadvisor.com. Trains from Gatwick (both the Gatwick Express and the cheaper regular service trains) arrive into London Victoria. You could then catch a cab from the train station to your hotel. Arriving at the time you do, I would pick the Gatwick Express as it will be less crowded at that time of the morning (unless you arrive in the weekend, in which case the regular train will be fine, but a little slower).

Trains from Victoria to Dover take almost 2 hours. You can use http://www.trainline.com to search for timings and prices. Travelling at non-peak times will be cheaper if you have flexibility with times. You can also travel to Dover from Charing Cross station (which is near Trafalgar Square).

Archived