3mm shorty in belize/cayman

Scotttyd

It's pretty individual .... what time of year, where you're from and what you're used to. (You can easily find water and air temp averages for your locations on the internet.)

I get cold way easier than my husband does - but I like my water VERY warm, we hardly ever go in the "winter" because of me. Even tho many people would be ecstatic to go where you are going no matter what time of year!

So with that said, what I can tell you is that my shorty - which if I recall correctly is only 2mm -worked geat for me in Grand Cayman in early June. I only got slightly chilled on second dive after a couple days. And I do love my shorty for packing purposes and ease; I also usually take a long sleeved thermal top (which scrunches up small for packing) in case I get cold, then I can layer my core if I want.

Spousal unit usually dives with a shorty in the islands - I almost always wear a set of farmer jon's; in the summer she's been known to just wear a lycra skin when it was really warm....

Capt BJ: I just couldn't resist ... so funny - "spousal unit".

Just had to say "hi". Saw your avatar - ever since I did a day long charity thing at a Mini dealership, I have been enamored. And now my next door neighbor has a new one; I am jealous. My spousal unit is frequently known to dive only in a rash guard, I still wear my shorty even when it's 88 (water temp!) And he's an Army Warrant Marine Deck Officer currently in command of an LCU in Maryland, was on Army tugs before. He can't claim to be a Bering Sea vet, but he is known to be the only one in the galley eating going around Hatteras while every else is throwing up. :p Former residences in Boca and Tampa, school at Ft Eustis, now Maryland. Hoping for a transfer south SOON! Not to mention retirement by 51 - my dream!

I get cold easily. Last Aug., when in Belize, I wore only long lycra skin top and pants. It was fine.

In Costa Maya, I wore the same for the first dive, but felt a bit chilly. I wore my 3mm long wetsuit for the second dive and it was fine.

For Cayman and Cozumel, I wore the 3mm long wetsuit. This was in late Aug. when the temp was quite warm.

Archived