eden rock vs sunset house

Scotttyd

SSSShhhhh .... Sunset House, keep it a secret ;)

But seriously, we stayed at Sunset House on a land vacation and it's not far from town, like a mile .... but I'd say more like 15 minutes walk. And in the heat if you have your own scuba gear ... There's also no sidewalk whatsoever and if there's traffic it's a little hairy. When we did it one afternoon, I ripped my skirt on a fence because I was so pressed against it to avoid the cars. I'd take a cab, even for the quick ride.

I've never been to Eden Rock but I think depth is probably similar (deeper isn't necessarily better IMHO). But if you go down to Sunset House, go see their mermaid. She's beautiful, she's in about 50 fsw. And ask them how to avoid the submarine (unless of course you want to wave at the cruise passengers.)

I'm biased - I've dove both many times but Eden is about a dozen dives and Sunset is in the hundreds. (daldog - we have another thing in common...). I've stayed many weeks at Sunset over the years. Both dives are similar in depth. The reef at Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto was in National Geographic way back when and famous for that. But face it....Eden Rock is one of, if not THE first dive spot you encounter walking from the terminal. If cruise ships are in, expect the place to be busy with walk up divers and snorkelers, and boat tours and and and

Sunset has been a diver resort for quite a long time - I first went over 20 years ago. Yes it is about a mile out of town. Need to stretch the legs? I've carried my gear. But a taxi ride is short.

Both sites have on site dive shop for rentals, lockers, and a ladder for easy in and out. But in my experience there will always be a ton of divers around Eden and it is not uncommon to not see another diver around Sunset.

After the dive Sunset House has "My Bar" - very popular place with the locals. You won't see many cuise pass' there....but may see crew as they know they can go a little bit out of town to escape.... When asked politely Sunset has been known to say "no problem" to a rental diver and lunch customer also using the pool....

Not an option with a cruise but fyi this is a fantasic place for your first solo nite dives. Spousal unit and I have about a hundred nite dives here too ... great place to find a spot, turn out the lite and see what comes to check you out. Some of my best u/w photos came this way. Octopus, slipper lobster, spotted eel .... great stuff ... and then there's that short walk to My Bar for a TING!

It is where I plan to take Dau to get certified later this year....

FYI, can you shore dive at sunset?

Shore Dive Sunset House - absolutely.... The common rule for shore dives around Cayman is "no outside tanks" meaning you rent your tank from the dive shop there....no biggie for a one day visitor....

You'll find everything you need to know at http://sunsethouse.com/

Hail a taxi .... just stand near the road. Need a taxi back - ask the bar tender altho typically off duty taxi drivers are there playing dominos so that's no problem either....

I doubt you'd be disappointed in either as far as marine life goes. It's Grand Cayman. As Capt BJ points out, Eden Rock will have more people splashing about. Sunset House will probably have the submarine coming down to the north side of their reef every hour or so.

• 3 weeks later...

hi....we stayed at the Sunset House in 2005..they were still fixing the place up from Hurricane Ivan damage...we snorkel..one day we walked down to Eden Rock and jumped in and drifted back to Sunset House...then the rest of the time we just jumped in at Sunset House and snorkeled our way down to Eden Rock..we could see the cruise ships from our balcony..and we are both strong swimmers so swimming down and back was easy....one day we rented a car and went to cemetary beach...but the rest of the time we just went from the Sunset House.....it was a great way to spend a week.....we loved My Bar....and we loved the Sunset House....nothing fancy but what more can you ask for with that reef within swimming distance......we were so close to the cruise ships when we snorkeled there was a rope between the ship and the edge of the reef...... we could have swum right over to the ship but of course we didnt....we also didnt find it crowded at all when the ships were there...which was just about every day.....we were supposed to go back to the Sunset House last summer...great deal..but I forgot my passport and we were unable to go......I am still working on going back to stay there again....we will be there in Feb on a cruise and I cant wait to see that beautiful reef....Marianne

Archived