Loved the Pearl...What about the Spirit?

M&MCruisin

I sailed on the Pearl this past March and LOVED it! I have read great things about the Spirit but I am not sure if I will like the smaller ship. Will the service on the Spirit be any different? How much different will the activities on a smaller ship be compared to the larger?

Also, wondering about Balcony locations. Are the balconys covered? I am thinking about category BD on deck 10. Its near the kids pool and arcade, but we dont have kids. Is it really wild on that deck? Im afraid of being on deck 9 (under the kids pool). We prefer to be near the rear of the ship. Your advice is appreciated.

We sailed the Spirit twice before sailing on the Pearl last month. Loved them both.

Yes, the balconys on the Spirit are covered. Don't know about aft on deck 10 being busy, we were always on 10 forward in a balcony. There seemed to be a little cabin more room on the Spirit to move around. I think that is because of the funky "desk" on the Pearl that is really just a table and chair. The beds on the Spirit were lower and didn't fit our suitcase underneath, they fit under the Pearls beds. No refridgerator on the Spirit, more storage on the Pearl but enough storage space on the Spirit.

The service on the Spirit was excellent. Just as many activities as the Pearl.

On the Spirit the kids pool was more geared toward little kids. Lots of the 10 - 14 year olds were in the adult pool. On the Pearl the 10 - 14 age group kept to the kids pool and the adult pool was mostly empty. (Though it was Alaska, so there weren't alot of adults in the pool.)

The Pearl is more modern and the Spirit more classic with a beautiful grand atrium and lovely teak on the prommenade deck.

The ships are different, but both great. I would go back on the Spirit in a minute.

We have done the Jewel and the Sun. And about to do the Spirit.

Smaller ships, not as many choices but still great. Depends on what is important to you.

As to Travel Agent. Find a new one.

Just got off the Spirit NYC-Caribbean yesterday and had a very good time. The one thing that puts me off (only a little) about that particular ship is that the main pool deck area (Tivoli pool) isn't the best for a sunny itinerary with it's limited chairs, although I think it was great for Alaska. They also now "check out" pool towels, rather than having an unlimited supply available in a bin, which I thought would eliminate some of the chair savers, but it did not. The majority of pool deck chairs are being saved by 7:45am.

The food was nicely presented, not gourmet, but then it didn't upset my sensitive stomach the way my own cooking does either.

Service was nearly always good enough to please me. One small complaint of rude service in the 8 days isn't enough for me to repeat the incident, but one large infraction by guests is, as guests were seen on more than one occasion putting their water bottles up directly next to the machines in order to fill them.

In the end, I got enough food, enough sun, enough courtesy and enough fun. The mood wasn't broken until JetBlue cancelled my flight out of NYC and lost my luggage until minutes ago.

My opinion after cruising her twice: The Spirit is a nice ship, fairly elegant in design, mostly well maintained and I'd ride her again without hesitation.:cool:

I sailed on the Pearl this past March and LOVED it! I have read great things about the Spirit but I am not sure if I will like the smaller ship. Will the service on the Spirit be any different? How much different will the activities on a smaller ship be compared to the larger?

Also, wondering about Balcony locations. Are the balconys covered? I am thinking about category BD on deck 10. Its near the kids pool and arcade, but we dont have kids. Is it really wild on that deck? Im afraid of being on deck 9 (under the kids pool). We prefer to be near the rear of the ship. Your advice is appreciated.

I just sailed her July 1 to the Bahamas and had balcony cabin 10152 BD. It was roomy for two, awesome balcony, very private and quiet even though it's on the same floor as the kids day care center, etc. The only time I ever heard them was walking past those areas toward the elevator or stairs. You'll love the ship! - Enjoy!

Archived