What to do in Rome for the 3rd time???

What would you all recommend we do in Rome on our upcoming cruise. We have been there twice before and have already visited the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, Colosseum, Trevi Fountain and other major sites.

Any recommendations for this time around?

Your help is appreciated..

We spent a week in Rome some years ago and saw all the key sites at that time. This trip we plan to repeat a number of sites including the Colosseum, Vatican, Trevi and major piazzas especially Navona. New this time for us will be Museum Borghese and the Campo Di Fiori area as well as Caffe Grecco. We added several days to our plans because we want time to sit at cafes and savour Rome. One of the cafes we plan to go to is part of Castel Sant Angelo; apparently some of the painted mosiacs are still visible on the ceiling of the outside cafe.

If we had the opportunity to be there on a Sunday morning we would definitely go to the Market at Campo Di Fiori.

(Pls excuse spelling mistakes).

Can't wait to be there.......

Kathy

You didn't indicate how long you would be in Rome. I'm assuming 1 day since you are on a cruise.

We have been to Rome twice (once for 1 day on a cruise & another time for two weeks). During our two week stay, we didn't get to see all we want to.

Like the previous poster.....I strongly recommend the Museum Borghese and the Campo Di Fiori (closes in the afternoon). We plan to go back to Rome for a few days before we do another Med cruise because I have to visit the Borghese Museum again!!!!!! Bernini's sculptures are amazing.

I never appreciated sculpture until I saw these works of art. They are spellbinding.

Stroll thru the Piazza Navon on your way to the Campo Di Fiori then walk to the Pantheon. Then I suggest you walk to Da Baffetto's pizza @ Via del Governo Vecchio 114 for lunch (the best pizza I have ever tasted).

I'm sure a gelatto will perk you up on your way back to the ship. LOL

FYI: taxis in Rome can only pick up fares at taxi stands; however, they are on almost every street corner.

I second Castel Sant Angelo. Right across from it is the pedestrian Bridge of Angels. Another recommendation is the Basilica de S. Maria Sopra Minerva. The Lippi frescoes are great. The church seemed lighter than the typical Roman church. I happened upon it somewhere between the bridge and Piazza Navona.

Last year, faced with a train strike and having been in Rome several times, we opted to hire a taxi at the dock and went to Tarquinia, less than 30 min away. It is an old Etruscan city with a nice park with a view and the National Museum of Etruscan Art. There is also a very interesting necropolis. We were quite pleased with our decision in having a relaxing but interesting day.

Sheila

We are just back from Rome last week and it was our first visit. I had read an article in an Australian paper which gave a lot of "other" sights than the standard ones.

Luckily we got to visit most of the standard ones with a few additions.

Gallerie Borghese - that statue of Paolina Borghese I would rate as my second most favourite after David in Accademia in Florence. I now believe that it would be possible to fall in love with a statue.

Knights of Malta - the view of St Peters through the keyhole is stunning and if the smog is low then it also photographs well. It is in the via di Santa Sabina

There is a park you come to just before the Knights of Malta which also has a magnificient view.

If you are going to these two then walk there from Isola Tiberina. It adds to the experience. We saw some people arrive by taxi, get out and take a quick glance and then rush off to somewhere else. Sad.

The Protestant Cemetery - we sat next to Keat's grave for about half an hour, lovely oasis of calm.

In St Peters square there are 2 markers that mark the focal point of the sets of columns at the end of the square. When you stand on them the columns line up perfectly, take one step off them and you can see the rear columns peeking out from behind. It is an amazing effect (well it is for an ex Mathematics teacher).

Bar Ristorante Zodiaco - serves fantastic meals combined with a spectacular view out over Rome. If you stand on the bridge in front of the Olympic complex and look slightly left and up you will see the Da Vinci Observatory. The restaraunt is next to it.

The Modern Art museum near Villa Borghese has some very special art on display.

I loved the twin churches in the Piazza Poppolo. We lit a candle in each.

Also nearby is via Margutta, used to be the artist quarters but now still has some studios plus some of the smaller and more exclusive art and jewellery shops. Pity about the current roadworks relaying the cobbles but it does mean you don't have to fight the scooters. Contiunue from here to the Spanish Steps.

So thats our list along with the favourites after three and a half days in Rome. We will be back.

David

Knights of Malta - the view of St Peters through the keyhole is stunning and if the smog is low then it also photographs well. It is in the via di Santa Sabina

There is a park you come to just before the Knights of Malta which also has a magnificient view.

There is even more in this area of the city. You could plan a day like this:

Take an early train and exit at Stazione Roma Ostiense which is in the south of the historic Rome. From here you can walk past the prostestant cemetery with the Pyramide of Caius Cestius. Walk up the Aventin. This hill was a rich quarter in ancient history and today there also some nice villas.

On top there are several sigths directly next to each other:

San Anselmo - the church and the huge monastary - worldwide Priory of the Benedictine monks

The seat of the Knights of Malta as mentioned above with its view trough the keyhole (it cannot be visited)

The churches of S. Alessio and S. Sabina. The later is about as original to an early christian basilica as you can find. Built around 430 it is intact in its substance though it was enhanced with marble in 824. Very remarkable are the main doors. These are the oldest christian wood carved doors made in 432. Just amazing how artist were already then able to bring stories from the bible to life and how it survived all the centuries.

After having a picknick-lunch in the park next to the church you could walk down hill to the circus maximus and either take a bus or metro to where ever else you like to go or walk on the Palatine.

Suggestions:

1) Borghese Gallery -- definitely, if you haven't already. Leave time to walk through the beautiful grounds as well.

2) Appian way -- visit the catacombs, the Roman tombs, ruins of a Roman villa, and see a beautifully scenic aqueduct.

3) Visit the Capitoline or National museums.

4) Visit some of the lesser known but beautiful churches of Rome (any guidebook has a list of some of the best).

5) Enjoy some time just taking in the city life in the Piazza Navona, Piazza della Rotunda (in front of the Pantheon) or in the vicinity of the Spanish steps.

what about going to the countryside?
I was just thinking the same thing. :) We have spent a lot of days in Rome on several ground trips there so decided to go into some villages in Umbria and had a magical day. We visited Tuscania, Civita de Bagnoregio, and Bagnaia. Rome is wonderful, but the day we had visiting these villages from Civitavecchia could not be beat. SO glad we decided not to go to Rome again to explore some new areas, and it turned out that it was a national holiday and not a good day to be there anyway. If you want more info, you can search for my posts, especially for "Bagnoregio", or I will be glad to leave more info here.

Have a great trip,

Donna

We, too, have been to Rome several times. Long stays, short stays, you name it. We will be on the Royal Princess at the end of August and we will be stopping in Civitavecchia. We were planning on just staying on board the ship this time. I think I saw that the ships are offering a bicycle tour into the Umbria region that visits some small towns. That would be fun and very non-stress. We'll decide when we get on board...

Best Wishes, Christie

Wow. Thank you guys...

There is obviously much more to see in Rome than the standard tour locations. I truly appreciate everyones responses. Now, I've got to do my research on how to get to those places. I'm mostly interested in the Borghese Gallery. I had forgotten about it, I had seen it in the Bachelor Rome and fell in love with it. LOL.. Not sure if we can take the Ship's "Rome on your own" tour bus and get dropped off at the Colosseum and then go from there.

We truly appreciate everyone's responses.

Wow. Thank you guys...

There is obviously much more to see in Rome than the standard tour locations. I truly appreciate everyones responses. Now, I've got to do my research on how to get to those places. I'm mostly interested in the Borghese Gallery. I had forgotten about it, I had seen it in the Bachelor Rome and fell in love with it. LOL.. Not sure if we can take the Ship's "Rome on your own" tour bus and get dropped off at the Colosseum and then go from there.

We truly appreciate everyone's responses.

If you want to do the Borghese gallery, you will need reservations. They are easy to make, through the site below or others:

http://www.ticketeria.it/ticketeria/borghese-eng.asp

One word of warning, you cannot make the reservations until about 3 months in advance -- the system just won't let you.

I'm mostly interested in the Borghese Gallery. ...Not sure if we can take the Ship's "Rome on your own" tour bus and get dropped off at the Colosseum and then go from there.

As I understand ship's "on your own" tours usually drop you off close to St. Peter's. From there you could walk to the Metro, exit at "Spagna" and walk through the Gardens of the Villa Borghese to the Galleria Borghese.

Cheaper and quicker would be to take the train to Stazione Termini. From there you have at least three alternatives: metro to Spagna and walk as above, walk directly to Galleria, take a bus.

Archived