How's the Iced Tea?

NYmomma

Unfortunately the iced tea in the Horizon Court is not very good. The strength is inconsistent, but tends to be pretty strong. At home I drink iced tea all day long, all year around.

Onboard, I find that it is usually necessary to put cold water in first (about 1/3 of the glass) and then add Princess' version if iced tea. Otherwise it's too strong and very dark colored.

On our upcoming cruise, I plan to bring some of those little tubes of tea mix that can be added to a 16 oz. bottle of water. Crystal Light is good, but so is WalMart's version (I like the peach flavored tea), and WalMart's is only $1.78 for a package of 10 of those tubes or a canister of 6 little tubs (each tub makes a 1/2 gallon pitcher).

• 1 month later...

I am diabetic and am allowed NO sugar in any drink. Whats left?? Water. Also cannot have sodium as I have had 2 congestive heart failures. I found the most wonderful product at COSTCO. It is an herbal tea called CHATIME. It comes in strawberry and peach flavors. NO sugar, No sodium and NO carbs. It is in plastic bottles. Delicious. I can add a little soda water and think it is wine (sort of). Anyway for those who want something to sip on anytime.,..this is it. I sometimes mix a little Crystal Lite in it if I want more punch.

Not too relevant but the iced tea in the dining rooms on Royal Caribbean is sooooooooooooo good! I'm not a big iced tea drinker when at home but on the Radiance I was slamming it like it was going out of style!

I can't remember what the Princess Iced Tea is like, I'll take your word that it is bad. :D

A month and a few days to go! :D

Since this seems to be the only complimentary cold beverage on Princess after breakfast (except tap water:)), I was wondering: How's the Iced Tea?

I know there is a lot of folks on the post that don't like the ice tea, but tea is all I drink at home, and I find the Princess tea, very acceptable... not great, but good. And, if you add a little OJ from the buffet it's really good.

We are ice tea drinkers year round. Agree not the best but not the worst.

It is not instant - I will not drink instant.

Dining room is fine.

Horizon court - we do as others have mentioned. Dilute 1/3 water to 2/3 tea. Also it is frequently just made and very warm to the point that the ice melts in the glass immediately. I always take another glass with just ice in it and add as it melts because it is much better when ice cold.

If you ask nicely, you can sometimes get one of the jumbo cups from one of the bars, or from the Horizon Court kitchen staff (if it's not peak meal-time). You can make a respectable HUGE glass of iced tea by filling that with ice & pouring two cups of strong fresh-brewed tea over the ice.

That's what I keep next to me when I'm sunbathing. :)

If you like "sweet tea," mix some sugar in hot water (not much water) & pour that over the ice before you start brewing your tea.

If you keep the glass in your refrigerator or put a note on it in your cabin (or speak to your room steward), you can keep the glass (rather than having to ask over and over again) & keep reusing it.

.....now you know that's a shame.......surely they have to know that most people dislike the tea, can't they upgrade it???? All of us in the dining room with our little individual packages of peach, raspberry, lemonade....people brewing their own tea at their table......everyone concocting up their own beverage......what a game!!!!:D

In all seriousness, two questions....is the tea they serve sweetened or unsweetened and is it or is it not INSTANT??? I'm hearing conflicting reports.

Viola, you put all of this into perspective.....I wish good health for you and happy sailing!!!!:)

.....now you know that's a shame.......surely they have to know that most people dislike the tea, can't they upgrade it???? All of us in the dining room with our little individual packages of peach, raspberry, lemonade....people brewing their own tea at their table......everyone concocting up their own beverage......what a game!!!!:D

In all seriousness, two questions....is the tea they serve sweetened or unsweetened and is it or is it not INSTANT??? I'm hearing conflicting reports.

Viola, you put all of this into perspective.....I wish good health for you and happy sailing!!!!:)

The tea served is unsweetened and it is made from the same type of syrup that the coffee is. Not instant, but instant even surpasses this stuff (and that is saying a lot). Yes, I agree, such a shame that they can't do something about this. I know on our last HAL cruise, the iced tea was simply fantastic, but Princess tea, YUCK! Down right nasty.

I, too, don't like brewing tea at the table, but I often drink decaf tea, and I don't think I've ever found decaf ice tea so I have to brew it.

I can usually tell if tea is instant by how cloudy it is. If it's made from a powder it will be very murky, the stuff made from a syrup is fairly clear. It all depends on what you're used to. We're big tea drinkers so I always brew it, but I like it strong.

I like this idea, I am going to try it on my next cruise!! Thanks!!

Here are a couple of ideas to do if you want ice tea.

Sweet Tea: Order a pot of tea, and they will bring you a pot of hot water. Put some of the hot water in a cup and add sugar to dissolve, and add tea bags to the pot. Take bags out and add sugar water and you have sweet tea.

The other is to get a pitcher from the room attendent. Bring along Lipton Cold Brew and make a pitcher of tea if you tend to drink a lot. They also sell individual Lipton Cold Brew tea bags so you could make one glass at a time.

But be sure to leave a note NOT TO TAKE the pitcher so that you can make it everyday. Also leave a note not to take the pot that came that morning because you have tea in it for later.

It was bad enough to make me buy a soda card..which I've never done on any previous cruises.

I'll second the Lipton Cold Brew. I use them every day at work. Next time, I'll bring or buy a big insulated mug and some bags for deck time

I've weaned myself off of soda at home and from going out to eat, and I swear I save at least 50 bucks a month, which if I think about it, is like a free cruise a year LOL

:D Could not agree with Caroline (NC) more. The ice tea is not for Southerners, and is definitely "Yankee Tea". Especially bad on the buffets. It is unsweetened, and over brewed. Give me Wendy's or even Hardy's tea. Much better at the dining rooms. Suggest tea lovers bring home brewed tea along with carry on booze

Archived