Website with tropical outlook-what does it all mean? Tropical storms?

We're sailing the Mariner on Sunday and I found this website:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/ABNT20.html

There are several satellite maps if you click around the site, but it's a bit difficult to figure out.

Is there a better site out there which might tell us which area may be impacted by a potential tropical storms?

It looks like the only thing around is a Tropical system off the coast of Mass. It looks like it will be well out to sea by Wed. The only other thing they are mentioning is the formation of something 700 miles away from the windward islands.

I wouldn't worry, if anything comes up they will take the ship out of harm's way.

Only thing out there right now is a tropical depression (Clouds & some rain) until it forms an eye and some circulation it's just rain. When it gets closer to the lesser antiles where the warm water is it will probably limp along and may even break up if it stays near the equator and trade winds. It will probably be a week or so before it even hits the lower island. You will be up near Virgin Islands so doubt if you will see any of it.

Only weather the locals are watching is up in bermuda

http://www.abcactionnews.com/Default.aspx

Only thing out there right now is a tropical depression (Clouds & some rain) until it forms an eye and some circulation it's just rain. When it gets closer to the lesser antiles where the warm water is it will probably limp along and may even break up if it stays near the equator and trade winds. It will probably be a week or so before it even hits the lower island. You will be up near Virgin Islands so doubt if you will see any of it.

Only weather the locals are watching is up in bermuda

http://www.abcactionnews.com/Default.aspx

Your post caught my eye when I saw abcactionnews,,,We live in Palm Harbor and watch them all the time,,,only trust Dennis Phillips when it comes to storms:cool: ....

We're in Seminole... It's been so quiet so far this year.....

Do you get the feeling that our local weather guys can hardly WAIT for something tropical to talk about?

:-)

Exactly right,,,weather down here mostly the same blah,blah, so when somethings brewing way out there they get really excited and I get really nervous....Were you here in 2004? Hope we don't get another season like that:o ......

Exactly right,,,weather down here mostly the same blah,blah, so when somethings brewing way out there they get really excited and I get really nervous....Were you here in 2004? Hope we don't get another season like that:o ......

Yes, we've been here for 22 years - in the same house, less than a mile from the gulf. I remember when Charlie was bearing down, and we had decided not to evacuate, and I was lying in bed at 4 am wondering whether we should just get up and hit the road to Orlando. Then Charlie took that right turn, hit my good friends in Cape Coral (who ran east with practically NO notice) and then took out all my brothers' oak trees - in Orlando!

Not a lot of fun. But the weather men LOVE it. They get to put on their yellow rain slickers and act like idiots, running around in a HURRICANE!

Yes, we've been here for 22 years - in the same house, less than a mile from the gulf. I remember when Charlie was bearing down, and we had decided not to evacuate, and I was lying in bed at 4 am wondering whether we should just get up and hit the road to Orlando. Then Charlie took that right turn, hit my good friends in Cape Coral (who ran east with practically NO notice) and then took out all my brothers' oak trees - in Orlando!

Not a lot of fun. But the weather men LOVE it. They get to put on their yellow rain slickers and act like idiots, running around in a HURRICANE!

Your so right:D ....We have friends in Cape Coral also,,they moved down two years ago and missed Charlie....Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope we luck out and the storms go somewhere else:cool: ...As for Orlando we were looking at hotels up there in case and actually did book one, and then Charlie went there,,,can't figure where they will go,,,hopefully somewhere else:D ....

I have to admit-I should have been a weather person! I'm fascinated by storms-the formation, the technology etc.

Looks as if we'll have smooth sailing. Thanks so much for the help and I sure hope my Florida posters have an easy hurricane season!

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/hurricanecentral/?from=wxcenter_news

http://flhurricane.com/

These are two other sites besides the NOAA one I have on my favorites. I live in Brevard county about 30 miles south of Port Canaveral in Palm Bay, Florida. Here at work everyone goes crazy analizing the storms and whatnot....:rolleyes:

--just thought I would put my two cents in....

Katie

Happy sails to you.........

I don't trust any of those storms regardless of whos reporting. During Charlie it was on a dead line for us and then the last few hours turned to Port Charlotte, so I called my Mom and she said she hadn't heard she was watching a movie. "Mom turn off the movie and watch TV' Fortuneately she only lost her birdcage and some minor damage. Sh ethrow all the furniture in the pool so it was safe when the cage blow away.

Here since 81 and 2 years ago was our worst, hopefully we can go another 20+ years

Class 2, Class 3, Class 4... RIGHT TURN!

We were right under the tracking line until that right turn. My friends in Cape Coral just grabbed their kids and dog and started driving east. Not an option on the Pinellas peninsula. No way to leave once it's too late.

On the bright side, by the end of that season our three teenaged boys could get our plywood up in less than an hour!

OK this whole thread is starting to stress me out....

I don't trust any of those storms regardless of whos reporting. During Charlie it was on a dead line for us and then the last few hours turned to Port Charlotte, so I called my Mom and she said she hadn't heard she was watching a movie. "Mom turn off the movie and watch TV' Fortuneately she only lost her birdcage and some minor damage. Sh ethrow all the furniture in the pool so it was safe when the cage blow away.

Here since 81 and 2 years ago was our worst, hopefully we can go another 20+ years

My cousin lived in Miami during Andrew. I woke up early, saw the radar, and called and actually WOKE HER UP! I said 'Jodi, there is a CLASS 5 HURRICANE headed directly at you!" She got up, they evacuated and weren't able to be in their home for weeks after.

Archived