Question for Splinter or other San Diegans

lucywestie

Hey there, we just booked two nights at the Best Western Lamplighter Inn on El Cajon Bv. I read all the glowing reviews about it on Tripadvisor etc. but one mentioned that it was "a mile from the ghetto". Sounds a bit of a strange comment :confused: but just wondering what the whole area around there is like? For the price we are paying would we be better up on Hotel Circle which seems to be just a short ride away and is that maybe a slightly safer area? Also meant to say we are trying to keep the cost per night to under $120.00 if we can help it. I just dont know what a good area versus a "dodgy" area

Thanks for all your help so far

Pete

Hi Pete,

You are a very, very long ways from the cruise terminal and airport. There are many hotels that are cheaper and closer to both airport and the cruise terminal.

What type of accommodations are you looking for (e.g., how many people, queen or king, kids, one night, etc.)?

Are you from Ontario, Canada? I was there about a week ago.

Tom

I agree. You are far east here, and in an area of town where I would not walk at night. Not scenic at all. Close only to San Diego State University, and lots of traffic on the freeway to get into downtown San Diego or the port or Balboa Park during morning rush hour, and back in the evening. Can you cancel these reservations (I hope they are not non-refundable if you already paid).

Mission Valley or Old Town would be much better bets, or even the Balboa Park Inn or La Pensione in Little Italy. You should be able to beat that price in those areas with Priceline or other on-line discount service.

Ok thanks to both of you for the advice. We cancelled the Lamplighter and have moved to Hotel Circle. Just figured that even though the Hotel Circle may be busier, in a way that will be a good thing. Lots of tourists etc. Cheers to you both.

Splinter, guess I owe you a beer or two for all your info you have provided over the last few months:)

Cheers again

Pete

Yup, in Port Hope, Ontario. Approximately an hours drive east of Toronto or about 2.5 hours west of Ottawa [well if you go 20 over the speed limit and keep a wary eye out for the O.P.P[POLICE]] ;)

We are spending 3 days in the San Diego area post cruise. First night up near Lake Elsinore as I am taking my wife hot air ballooning then two nights in San Diego to do some sightseeing, bit of tourist stuff, check out some stained glass stores and generally relax after two weeks at sea!

Hi Pete,

My grandmother was born, in what she called "new London". Avout two weeks ago, I spent a week up there doing genealogy research. I even drove over and back to Toronto, one day, looking for information at the Ontario Archives office - no luck there, but a beautiful drive.

I will be going back next April - to do more research in Sarnia, looking for information on my Great-Grandparents, who are suppose to be buried in Lambton County.

Tom

Hi Tom.

I did a quick search on Google. There is a pretty good website.

www.tourismsarnialambton.com

Covers all the areas you are interested in and has maps etc. online. You might have found it already, but its a place to start. Might list local churches etc which is probably a good place to start. My mum in the UK has slowly been doing lots of research on our family.

Archived