Carnival or RCCL?

coffeebeagle

I'm trying to decide between 2 identical cruises between Carnival (legend) and RCCL (Majesty) in April 2008. If we go with Carnival I can afford to splurge and upgrade to a balcony suite. We have cruised both lines before, but this time it's just my husband I and our 14 year old as my older 2 children are both out of the nest. Any suggestions or pros and cons would be most welcome. I can see good things about both cruises. I'm so confused. :eek:

I'm trying to decide between 2 identical cruises between Carnival (legend) and RCCL (Majesty) in April 2008. If we go with Carnival I can afford to splurge and upgrade to a balcony suite. We have cruised both lines before, but this time it's just my husband I and our 14 year old as my older 2 children are both out of the nest. Any suggestions or pros and cons would be most welcome. I can see good things about both cruises. I'm so confused. :eek:

I am confused too! Carnival Legend does 7 night Western Caribbean out of Tampa and Majesty of the Seas does 3 and 4 night Bahamas out of Miami.

How can these be identical cruises?:confused:

sorry someone else posted same thing while I was typing.

Although the Legend does not have some things like a climbing wall, I assume it still has many areas a 14-yr-old would enjoy like the giant slide at the pool.

Haven't sailed the RCL Majesty but was on the Legend this past January. There were many teenagers on the ship and the kids all seemed to be having a great time together.

Dianne

Balcony for sure. Also, I've only cruised with RCCL once on Monarch. She had woefully small cabins. If this is fleet wide then that is another reason to choose Carnival and the balcony. The other reason is that I simply found Carnival to be more fun.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!:)

I chose the Legend over RCCL for my cruise a few weeks ago. The only thing I liked better on my RCCL cruise in February was the pool was open all night. Carnivals pool closed at 10 and the hot tub at midnight. The fact that I got a balcony room on Carnival for less than an interior room on RCCL quickly made me forget about the pool.

Although the Legend does not have some things like a climbing wall, I assume it still has many areas a 14-yr-old would enjoy like the giant slide at the pool.

Haven't sailed the RCL Majesty but was on the Legend this past January. There were many teenagers on the ship and the kids all seemed to be having a great time together.

Dianne

The Majesty is one of RCI's older ships and does not have the bells and whistles. I wonder if the OP means the Mariner out of Pt. Canaveral?

Mea Culpa!

It was Grandeur of the seas. I have been looking at cruises until my head swam and I finally had it narrowed down to these 2. If you've ever worked 12 hour night shifts you will have a little sympathy on my HUGE mistake with the ships name and focus on the question between the 2 cruise lines. I am so sorry to have given this terrible misinformation in my first post and just ask for forgiveness and help.

Please.

No brainer for me. The Legand is a great ship. The service is some of the best you will find on any cruise line. The ship is 4-5 years old and all but spotless. The food quality is very good. We were loyal Celebrity passengers for years until we tried the legand and it was great.You will not be disapointed, I am going on the Miricale soon which is a sister ship,I hope it is as good!In my opinion Carnival is the best bang for the buck right now!And the spirit class ships are my favorite..:)

No brainer for me. The Legand is a great ship. The service is some of the best you will find on any cruise line. The ship is 4-5 years old and all but spotless. The food quality is very good. We were loyal Celebrity passengers for years until we tried the legand and it was great.You will not be disapointed, I am going on the Miricale soon which is a sister ship,I hope it is as good!In my opinion Carnival is the best bang for the buck right now!And the spirit class ships are my favorite..:)

Agree with you. We have cruised several Celebrity ships and love the cruise line but started cruising on Carnival only last year. Cruised the Valor in Nov. and April and cruised the Legend in January. Loved the Legend and its itinerary so much that we booked the Miaracle (a sister ship to Legend) for a cruise this January with the same itineary.

Dianne

I have never been on the Legend, but I was on her sister ship Miracle while she was doing the 7 day Western out of Tampa. Tampa is a great port to sail from; extrememly easy and well organized. I really liked the Spirit Class ships because the layout is really easy to navigate and nothing ever seemed to be crowded. The longest line I ever had to wait in was 7 people in front of me at the grill when we got back from port. I don't know much about the teen programs, since I was in my 20s when I went, but I did notice that the teen disco always seemed to be crowded. They carded everyone at the door and would not let anyone over the age of 21 into the disco during "teen hours". Whichever cruise you choose, I'm sure you will have fun! The ports are great. :-) Good luck!

Mea Culpa!

It was Grandeur of the seas. I have been looking at cruises until my head swam and I finally had it narrowed down to these 2. If you've ever worked 12 hour night shifts you will have a little sympathy on my HUGE mistake with the ships name and focus on the question between the 2 cruise lines. I am so sorry to have given this terrible misinformation in my first post and just ask for forgiveness and help.

Please.

Pretty comparable in terms of size and number of pax, but Legend has many more balconies. I was on Grandeur years ago and it was a fine ship, but it is getting up there in "ship years".

We booked the Miricale also. We are taking the 8 night western to Panama. I cannot say enough good about these 8 and 9 day cruises on Carnival. they seem to attract a little better class passenger and in turn I think the crew responds accordingly. The spirit class ships are so easy to get around it is amazing. We are hooked for now!:)

Unless you posted this on the RCCL board you will probably get more carnival votes here than anything. I cant tell you anything about either of these ships but we have cruised both lines. carnival has bigger rooms and better prices. In MY opinion RCCL has more activities to do especially on sea days. Everything else to us was pretty even. Having a balcony is wonderful! Just my opinion but I would also post on the RCCL board and get an equal opinion on both. Good luck.

While I thought the Grandeur was the nicest ship of the two (I wasn't that crazy about the Legend), I would (and do) choose Carnival over Royal Caribbean almost every time. I thought the Legend felt more like a Royal Caribbean ship than a Carnival ship -- and I don't think EITHER of them are like a Lexus. :p RCI ships have a more elegant decor, but we prefer the better food and larger cabins on Carnival. We were a bit bored on sea days on RCI, but the more sea days the better on Carnival. We don't climb rock walls, so the activities on Carnival suit us just fine. I think I'd let the balcony be my deciding factor.

CoffeeBeagle - If you're a coffee freak, go with Carnival.:D

If you've been on both lines, you know the cabins are larger, the food is much better, and there are more amenities available on Carnival ships....like comp espresso and cappuccino in the dining room w/all three meals each day! RCCL definitely doesn't offer that.

Archived