Fenway Park Tour

boomboom51

I would love to hear from anyone who has done this from the pier and how they did the transportation. I would like to do it in September when visiting on the Crown Princess.

Thanks in Advance

What you might do is put this question on the Ports of Call board and then to the New England forum. You might get some replies there.

Marilyn

Well, I'm not on the cruise (though I sorta wish I was), but I am a Bostonian and an avid Sox fan, so thought I'd offer my 2 cents.

Probably the simplest way to get to Fenway from the Black Falcon pier (where your ship will most likely be docking) is by cab. Unfortunately, the pier is in a part of Boston that, while up and coming and in the process of being developed, is still a little bit "out in the sticks" to us urban dwellers. ;) I don't know exactly what that might cost, but would guess around $25.00 each way.

We city dwellers would probably take the "T", which is our subway system (a subway system that includes above-ground components.) Our new "Silver Line" goes to the Black Falcon Terminal. This is a dedicated bus/trolley system that connects to the underground train-based part of the subway system downtown. Here's a link to a PDF map of the relevant part of the T system:

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/Schedules_and_Maps/System_Map/MBTA-system_map-boston-4.pdf

If you look at the right-hand margin, about the middle of the page, you'll see the reference to Black Falcon Avenue (which runs along the pier) and the SL2 branch of the Silver Line. You could take the Silver Line to Park Street Station (look near the upper left corner of the map, adjacent to the Boston Common.) There you would transfer to a Green Line train outbound (B, C, or D line, but -- not E line.) Get off at the Kenmore Square stop (the stop before the "Fenway Stop" but not the Fenway Stop, as it's actually too far away from the park) and it's a very short walk (maybe 3 blocks) to Fenway Park. Honestly, it's not as confusing as it sounds (but see why I said a cab would be the simplest?) ;) Here's a map of the Fenway area.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/Schedules_and_Maps/System_Map/MBTA-system_map-boston-3.pdf

The T stop is located about 1/3 way down from the top and not quite 1/2 way from the right-hand margin of the map.

Tours run every hour on the hour from the souvenir store across the street from the ballpark. Here's a link to the Redsox.com page with the tour info.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ballpark/tour.jsp

To return to the ship, just reverse the directions above, taking any Green Line train inbound from the Kenmore Square stop to the Park Street stop, transfer to the SL2 branch of the Silver line to the end of the line and, voila, back to your ship. Simple, huh? :eek: :D

There is also a third option. I notice that your cruise offers a couple of shore excursions that include motorcouch tours of Boston with the option of staying in the city to do more siteseeing on your own. If I were on the ship, I'd probably take this option and simply shoot over to Fenway for the tour of the park after the city tour ended. The motorcouch tours will likely drop you somewhere near a Green Line T stop in downtown Boston (there are a ton of them), and you could follow the directions above. And, again, you could return to the ship either via cab (from the ballpark or from downtown if you take the T back downtown) or via the Green and Silver lines as described above.

I hope that wasn't too confusing. It's really not as hard as it might look.

Whatever option you choose, I have no doubt that you'll have a wonderful time in our fair city, and that you'll enjoy your tour(s). You're going to be here at a beautiful time of year.

Happy cruising! :D

Since I'm from Boston I can help you out on this one.

Hail a cab and ask them to take you to South Station. Take the Red Line Inbound (towards Alewife) to the Park Street stop and then switch to the Green Line Outbound (towards Cleveland Circle, Boston College or Riverside). Take the Green Line to the Kenmore stop using any Green Line train, except the E (this is toward Heath). If on the Green Line - D branch, use the Fenway stop. (The Green Line Trains are labeled A thru E) If you go to mbta.com, there are maps of the subway system.

Just so you know, the last tour on a game day is 3 1/2 hours before the start of a game and is a shorter tour so the earlier you get there, the better. You can't buy tickets ahead of time either. You pay when you get there. You meet up for the tour at the Souvenier Shop on Yawkey Way.

It's not as confusing as it seem and so worth the trek. My other fellow Sox fans are spot on with the asvice. Fenway is my Mecca. The Red Sox are part of our family, our hearts and souls, and we live and die by them. I was at the park tonight and nice comeback!. There's nothing like Fenway and the tour is so much fun.

Go Red Sox

fenwaypark1000.jpg

GO SOX!!!!

I don't really have anything else to add since 5:00_somewhere and BBallwife explained it well.

Don't you just love the Bostonian screen names, lol. So may of us have reference to our beloved Red Sox!

soxyankees-704874.jpg

Really doesn't sound that confusing. I think I might try it!!! Beats 50 bucks for a cab.

Thanks

I'm really happy I didn't make it sound too daunting. It's really not that bad. But, I always remember how baffled my friends and family from the west coast are when they come to visit. They just aren't used to public transportation, and it always seems like a maze or something to them.

Glad it made sense.

And, yeah, nice to see other Sox fans on here. It IS in the blood, isn't it? I'd likely have some reference to them in my name, too, except my husband (SoxFanCruiser) beat me to it. ;)

GO SOX!!!

P.S. -- Redsoxfan11, love the map. ;)

I'm really happy I didn't make it sound too daunting. It's really not that bad. But, I always remember how baffled my friends and family from the west coast are when they come to visit. They just aren't used to public transportation, and it always seems like a maze or something to them.

Glad it made sense.

And, yeah, nice to see other Sox fans on here. It IS in the blood, isn't it? I'd likely have some reference to them in my name, too, except my husband (SoxFanCruiser) beat me to it. ;)

GO SOX!!!

P.S. -- Redsoxfan11, love the map. ;)

LOL, I knew that any true member of Red Sox Nation would get it. :) ;) My husand and kids are not quite as obsessed as I am, lol.

"Obsessed"? "Obsessed"?

I don't know this strange word, "obsessed", that you speak of. :confused:

In our house we refer to it as "dedication". :D

In fact, the only slight, teeny, tiny hint of a possible negative to our upcoming cruise (9/1- 9/12 on the Tahitian Princess) is that we'll be out of touch with the Sox for 12 days, and we'll miss the first week of Patriots season. I'm sure there will be some shaking and twitching from the withdrawal for a few days, but we've been asured that a few days in Tahiti and French Polynesia will help cure that. ;) I'm sure we'll survive.

Under duress I visited Fenway Park with my husband when we went to Boston last year (he is a huge fan) and for a tour of a stadium it is actually pretty interesting and the guides are pretty funny.

One thing I noticed was that some less mobile members of our tour group had trouble with the stairs.

We are planning another trip to Boston at some point and I have a funny feeling that it will feature a game...

I love Boston probably my favourite US city so far.

"Obsessed"? "Obsessed"?

I don't know this strange word, "obsessed", that you speak of. :confused:

In our house we refer to it as "dedication". :D

In fact, the only slight, teeny, tiny hint of a possible negative to our upcoming cruise (9/1- 9/12 on the Tahitian Princess) is that we'll be out of touch with the Sox for 12 days, and we'll miss the first week of Patriots season. I'm sure there will be some shaking and twitching from the withdrawal for a few days, but we've been asured that a few days in Tahiti and French Polynesia will help cure that. ;) I'm sure we'll survive.

LOL! Dedicated is a much nicer word. I could be considered a Red Sox stalker when I wait outside the fence to watch the players come and go before and after the game, lol. DH humors me. I actually called my kids from the cruise to get the scores. I did see some scores on the Colorado TV station on the Legend but I wanted details. I am anxiously awaiting the Patriots games too. I am going to Chicago in a few weeks to see the Sox. My friends are Cubs fans and detest the White Sox so I am bringing each of them a Red Sox tee shirt to wear to the game.

I'll be tired for the next few days since they are playing on the west coast but it is so worth it for this "dedicated" fan ;) (tied 4-4 bottom of the sixth ight now, lol)

Thanks for all the wonderful info.

I am also married to a die-hard Red Sox fan, who must do the Fenway tour. Can you estimate how long the tour is? Is it only during playing season? We will be in Boston on October 5, and if there are no play-off games, (I know...don't even think it) would it be open for tours?

Thanks for all the wonderful info.

I am also married to a die-hard Red Sox fan, who must do the Fenway tour. Can you estimate how long the tour is? Is it only during playing season? We will be in Boston on October 5, and if there are no play-off games, (I know...don't even think it) would it be open for tours?

here's some info for you. They are held year round.

Tours: Daily year-round (except Thankgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day) every hour on the hour from 9AM-4PM. Please note that on game days the last tour leaves 3 hours prior to game time.

Tickets: Adults $12; Seniors (60+) $11; Children Under (ages 2 to 15) $10

Groups - 50+ by reservation only.

For more information and group reservations, call the Fenway Park Tours Hotline at 617-236-6666 or e-mail tours@redsox.com. Tickets can only be purchased in-person, weekdays at the Red Sox Box Office, Gate A.

Here's the official link to the tours

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ballpark/tour.jsp

Visit the park where the Babe pitched, The Kid hit, Yaz dazzled and Manny and Ortiz still thrill young fans today. Soak up the rich history; hear the echoes of the past. Touch the Green Monster, imagine being one of the "Knights of the Keyboard" as you see the view from the Press Box, visit the State Street Pavilion Club before strolling around Fenway Park.

Tours now leave from the Souvenir Store across Yawkey Way hourly seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

2007 Fenway Park Tour RatesINDIVIDUAL Adults

Seniors

Children

Military and Active Reserve (with valid ID)$12

$11

$10

$10

GROUP RATES

(Parties of 40 or more) Adults

Seniors (60 years or older)

Non-Profit Organizations

Children (ages 2-15 years)$10

$10

$9

$8

ACCESSIBILITY

During winter construction, tours are not fully handicap accessible. Please contact the tour office at 617-226-6666 for additional assistance.

I'll be tired for the next few days since they are playing on the west coast but it is so worth it for this "dedicated" fan ;) (tied 4-4 bottom of the sixth ight now, lol)

Tell me about it. we had a little BBQ party last night, and the die hards stayed with us til the end of the game. Then, of course, there was a little winding down and wrapping up the night after that. Didn't get to bed until 2:30.

I absolutely adore my dog, but I was not terribly amused this morning when it was time for his walk. :rolleyes: ;)

I hate the west coast games.

And yeah, Pat's season is just around the corner! Gonna be a good year!

As a lifelong fan and resident it's important to point out to visitors that Boston is a drinking city with a baseball problem.

LOL!

Too true.

Tell me about it. we had a little BBQ party last night, and the die hards stayed with us til the end of the game. Then, of course, there was a little winding down and wrapping up the night after that. Didn't get to bed until 2:30.

I absolutely adore my dog, but I was not terribly amused this morning when it was time for his walk. :rolleyes: ;)

I hate the west coast games.

And yeah, Pat's season is just around the corner! Gonna be a good year!

LOL!

Too true.

Thank goodness for the 4:00 game today! I m optomistic for the Sox and the Pats and dare I say it..the Celtics! It's been too long of a drought for them. I remember paying the price of a small car for a ticket to see them at the Garden in the 80's, lol.

redsoxfan, i LOVE that picture with the rainbow! my family's season tickets are literally two-three rows down, the first row behind the walkway. amazing for games AND people-watching!!

i looooooooooove me some Red Sox. especially some Big Papi. :D

Need help all you Fenway experts

We intend to take the T to the Kenmore Station. Then walk to the park. But how do you cross the freeway? Are there places to walk underneath? I looked at satellite imagery of the area and it doesn't look feasible to get across the freeway.

Need help all you Fenway experts

We intend to take the T to the Kenmore Station. Then walk to the park. But how do you cross the freeway? Are there places to walk underneath? I looked at satellite imagery of the area and it doesn't look feasible to get across the freeway.

I just looked at Google Maps and was surprised to see that, on the map, the Mass Pike (the freeway) appears as if it passes over Brookline Ave.

However, the reverse is actually true. The Mass Pike is somewhat below grade here, and Brookline Ave. has a bridge that passes over the Pike connecting with Commonwealth Ave in Kenmore Square, right near the T stop.

No worries, just come up out of the T stop, go to the corner, take a left on Brookline Ave and you can walk right to Fenway Park.

Enjoy!

Hello from my vacation in Chicago!

I don't know how much Carnival charges for the Fenway Park tour but I see two $$ symbols which is $50 - 99. If you do it on your own and take a cab or the T (easy and reasonable) this is what you'll pay...A LOT less money and a lot less crowded: (Talk about a markup!) even if the cab is $20 you still save a bundle!

2007 Fenway Park Tour RatesINDIVIDUAL Adults

Seniors

Children

Military and Active Reserve (with valid ID)$12

$11

$10

$10

GROUP RATES

(Parties of 40 or more) Adults

Seniors (60 years or older)

Non-Profit Organizations

Children (ages 2-15 years)$10

$10

$9

$8

ACCESSIBILITY

During winter construction, tours are not fully handicap accessible. Please contact the tour office at 617-226-6666 for additional assistance.

Archived