Facility to burn DVD or CD's??

relate2

Is there a facility on the Pacific Sun to burn my photos to a DVD or CD at the end of each day?

Hi Relate2

I'm sure I saw that you can take your camera to the photo shop and get your pix burned to a disk there - but sorry, I have no idea of the price. Something tells me that it is probably not all that cheap ...

Cheers

Pieboy

Gidday again

Piegirl reminded me that the Camera Shop had a special on burning to disk towards the end of our cruise ... check out the Pacific Dailies at www.com-memorate.com/pix2.html for more info ...

But she also had another bright idea which was ... perhaps you should think about buying a bigger extra memory card/chip/thing to take with you ... that purchase might be cheaper than actually getting the burning done on board and you can just save and burn when you get home!

Cheers

Pieboy

HI

on our last cruise, we burnt a few memory cards to cd although this time we have purchased a photobank storage device (which is essentially a laptop hard drive inside a memory card reader) for about $40 from ebay - I think the laptop hard drive was about $80 on top of the $40. We plan on downloading all of our photos and videos to this and then printing them off when we get home.

Cheers Rach

I think we paid about $10 a couple of years back. they also had a good special where they printed all your photos for a cheap price. they turned out ok for the most past. you couldnt edit them or just print some. it was a good way to see what you had taken and to share with friends on board.

i also second the idea of just buying a larger memory card as they are fairly cheap now

Is there a facility on the Pacific Sun to burn my photos to a DVD or CD at the end of each day?

Thanks.

Hi Relate2,

I'm glad you are going on your cruise. I haven't been on the Pac Sun yet (going in December 2007 though!) but we went on the Pac Star a few months ago and if you take your memory card to the photography shop they definately do it there so it would probably be the same on the Pac Sun. You have to hand it to them by a certain time and then it's ready the next night. I'm sorry I can't remember how much it cost, but they turned out very well.

Best wishes, Pink Poodle. PS Have a great holiday !

Thanks everyone for your help. I already have a 2gig card for my camera, but I know I will be taking thousands of photos and videos as photography is my hobby. The only problem, it is a Memory stick pro duo which are just about the most expensive memory card you can get. I can buy a 2gig SD memory for my old canon camera for $31 but for my Sony it is over double the price at $65 and that is on the cheap if you bought it in Harvey Norman it would be around $100.

Can anyone tell me if you can buy cheap memory cards anywhere on the cruise?

Also do they burn to DVD's instead of CD's as it may work for me to have my 2gig card emptied to one DVD instead of 4 CD's? Like I would be happy to pay $10 to burn 2gigs of photos to a DVD but would not be happy about paying $40 to burn 2gigs of photos to 4 CD's

Thanks

Robert

I can buy a 2gig SD memory for my old canon camera for $31

Holy cow that's so cheap now! I remember paying about $80 for my 1 gig Ultra SD card about 2 years ago!

Can anyone tell me if you can buy cheap memory cards anywhere on the cruise?

You can buy them in Port Vila but the prices are not very cheap. About what you'd expect to pay here. But if you're desperate for extra memory it's ok I guess.

Holy cow that's so cheap now! I remember paying about $80 for my 1 gig Ultra SD card about 2 years ago!

You can buy them in Port Vila but the prices are not very cheap. About what you'd expect to pay here. But if you're desperate for extra memory it's ok I guess.

Hi Jo, and that is the price for the genuine Scandisk card if you want a generic 2gig SD card they are $25.

Where do you get your cards from Robert?

I'm thinking i'll have to go out and get a 2G SD card now :)

At that price i'd suggest getting extra cards here before you go because they're definatley not that cheap in Vila!

We were there last Oct and tried to find an extra XD card from Mr Minx's Fuji camera and were surprised to see the prices were quite high. From memory it was about $50ish for a 512mb XD card at the Fung Kwei duty free. XD are always dearer than SD though, but I don't think there was much difference in price over there.

MsMinx you are doing better than me. My husband (grr) had to have a 1 gig compact flash card when they first came out and it cost $400.

I have bought a few cards on ebay. Mostly from the Aussie based sellers and have had no problem with them at all. Got a memory stick pro duo for the psp a lot cheaper than in the shops.

I am pretty sure it is only $10ish for the cd burning.

Where do you get your cards from Robert?

I'm thinking i'll have to go out and get a 2G SD card now :)

At that price i'd suggest getting extra cards here before you go because they're definatley not that cheap in Vila!

We were there last Oct and tried to find an extra XD card from Mr Minx's Fuji camera and were surprised to see the prices were quite high. From memory it was about $50ish for a 512mb XD card at the Fung Kwei duty free. XD are always dearer than SD though, but I don't think there was much difference in price over there.

Seeing as though it is not talking about cruises and travel agents who advertise here I suppose I can tell you. I get them from MSY technology, they sell all types of electronic gear from computers to memory cards. If you just type msy into google you will see them. Just one thing they are always very busy so be prepared to wait a while in the line. They have been around for more than 10 years but are not the normal shop you really need to know exactly what you want before you go to the store.

MsMinx you are doing better than me. My husband (grr) had to have a 1 gig compact flash card when they first came out and it cost $400.

I have bought a few cards on ebay. Mostly from the Aussie based sellers and have had no problem with them at all. Got a memory stick pro duo for the psp a lot cheaper than in the shops.

I am pretty sure it is only $10ish for the cd burning.

The cd burning will still end up too expensive for me, needing 4 cd's for my 2 gig card. That is why I wanted to know if they also burn DVD as I wouldn't mind paying the $10 for a DVD but not $40 for 4 cd's.

They don't do DVDs, and CD burning cost more than $10, I think it was $19.95 from memory. A rip off! You'd be much better off taking a laptop or buying a storage device as others have done.

They don't do DVDs, and CD burning cost more than $10, I think it was $19.95 from memory. A rip off! You'd be much better off taking a laptop or buying a storage device as others have done.

Gee, that's a big price hike:eek: . It was only $10 in April last year.

Karen

Thanks ADF for that information.

Well my plan B went to buying another 2gig card. I got a Scandisk memory card duo 2gig for $58 from MSY. I decided to miss out on a few luxuries to make sure that I have a good record of my trip as I feel it will be a while before I get another one..

I would have had heaps of space for photos but with the modern digital cameras taking very good videos as well I would not have had enough space on one card.

Archived