Flip Flops in the dining room

lmurf

I am one of those people that you probably saw wearing "flip flops" at WDW in July. I don't mean the Wal-Mart type, but I always wear my Crocs flip flops...and I'm a 50 year old woman. They might not look very pretty, and I'll admit that they don't offer any protection if someone steps on my foot, but the arch support and the cushioning under the heel are incredible. About a year ago I was having a lot of issues with a heel spur, and after several cortisone shots, I wasn't having any relief from the pain. We had a November trip scheduled for WDW and I really wanted to cancel, but my podiatrist told me to just wear a good pair of sneakers and I would be fine. I brought my New Balance sneakers (my podiatrist's favorite brand) to WDW, and I was absolutely miserable. They were good quality shoes, but didn't offer enough cushioning where I needed it the most. Shortly after that trip, I discovered Crocs and in no time my heel spur was no longer bothering me. Now I always wear my Crocs when I go to WDW (and I was there back in July) or any time that the spur starts to bother me again.

As far as whether or not you should wear flip flops in the dining hall, it wouldn't bother me one bit if you did. But I also don't tend to pay any attention to what other people are wearing unless they look really, really great, and then I notice.

Have you tried SAS sneakers and sandals? We both swear by them. And for women, the straps are designed so that they pass around the bunion areas. SAS also makes sneakers that look like shoes so that I wear the loafer types to meet with clients and no one knows.

"My daughter would be thrilled if she could wear flipflops in the dining room!"

Let me see, if I was her mother, what would I think about my kiddo wearing pool and beach shoes into a sit down dining room? Based on our family's standards for dress at different social events, I wouldn't have to even ask that question let alone seek someone else's approval.

We live in FL where just about everyone wear's flip flops or now the fad is the crocs.Our last cruise on Disney I wore them almost every night and if idid not wear them I wore a slight dressier sandal. Mine are not the dollar store or old navy type but they come from LLBean I have 4 pairs of them all in different colors. I plan on taking 2 pair with us next month to Hawaii. If I had a chouce at work I would wear the flops but I am a nurse and that is forbidden as well as the Crocs.

Lexo

Only 2 pairs to Hawaii? Last time in Hawaii, I brought 8 pair. lol. This year, I might only bring 6. That is the beauty of Hawaii. They look at you funny if you AREN'T wearing flops.

Flip flops are now part of banned attire in the white house. There is now a formal dress code for the white house visits due to lack of judgement by many of the past college sports teams. You will see flip flops in the ships' formal dining rooms but that does not mean it is proper attire for the type of venue. There are formal nights but the dining room on a ship is always a formal dining room not a chain restaurant. This type of debate will never be settled until the formal dining room and specialty restaurants just become another chain restaurant dining room for get in and get out eating rather than dining.

But it kind of is a chain restaurant since it is the same on every ship. :D ;)

Crocs are not flips, they are enclosed casual things. Did you see the special Mickey crocs at WDW?

Yes, I have a pair of the Mickey Crocs (not very attractive but they are fun to wear at WDW). However, for me, nothing is more comfortable than my Crocs flip flops at WDW. I have them in several different colors...I even wear them to work (I work at an elementary school).

Have you tried SAS sneakers and sandals? We both swear by them. And for women, the straps are designed so that they pass around the bunion areas. SAS also makes sneakers that look like shoes so that I wear the loafer types to meet with clients and no one knows.

No, I haven't tried those yet. In the winter, I usually go with Birkenstocks, but I might have to check out the loafer type ones that you mentioned...sounds like they are a lot less bulky.

I have worn thong dress sandals they are flat like flip flops but they are leather and go with the outfits that I have with me. So maybe technically they aren't considered flip flops because they are dressier. I agree that regular beachs ones should not be worn and that yes pedicures are required.

No, I haven't tried those yet. In the winter, I usually go with Birkenstocks, but I might have to check out the loafer type ones that you mentioned...sounds like they are a lot less bulky.

They also come as regular sneakers, casual wingtips and a couple other styles, all with laces.. Not cheap but great for those whose feet sometime complain about walking. The inner sole molds itself to your foot after a day or so and is removable for washing. A distributor located here in Paramus NJ holds sales twice a year, 20% off everything and 10% off SAS.

Can you provide a URL for SAS shoes please. I googled "SAS Shoes" but came up with nothing helpful. Thanks! I'd love some really comfy shoes besides my Crocs (which I love).

They also come as regular sneakers, casual wingtips and a couple other styles, all with laces.. Not cheap but great for those whose feet sometime complain about walking. The inner sole molds itself to your foot after a day or so and is removable for washing. A distributor located here in Paramus NJ holds sales twice a year, 20% off everything and 10% off SAS.

Thanks for the info. They sound great. Do you know if the distributor in NJ has a website where they can be ordered from when they have the sale?

Haven't heard from many guys about their flipflops...How about it, guys?

:confused:

You have heard from me. Read back. I would never wear them at dinner, unless eating at the Windjammer.

Thanks for the info. They sound great. Do you know if the distributor in NJ has a website where they can be ordered from when they have the sale?

This is a large retail store which carries a huge selection from many manufacturers, a super-store. Globe Shoes, Rt 17, Paramus NJ. The sale coupons only go to prior customers.

Here is their website.

http://www.globe-shoes.com/catalog_c132513.html

They don't seem to list SAS on their website but call their phone number, I have been buying from them, in person, for many years.

I guess if you saw them then they are allowed, no? I personally have a large array of more dressy flip flops with grograin ribbon and a variety of dark colors. I do plan on wearing them on casual night. As far as the flip flop noise I don't find it any more annoying then the clacking of heels.

Jenn

Are flip flops allowed in the dining room? I saw several on our last cruise, both men and women. Just wonderin...

I guess if you saw them then they are allowed, no? I personally have a large array of more dressy flip flops with grograin ribbon and a variety of dark colors. I do plan on wearing them on casual night. As far as the flip flop noise I don't find it any more annoying then the clacking of heels.

Jenn

Typically carpets in dining areas are used to reduce noise from heels. Otherwise bare floors are alot easier clean but are very noisey. Carpet doesn't work on flipping and flopping.

Archived