Cruiseship bumps into pier in NY this morning...

danixbanani

It will need a minor paint job nothing more. It hit its nose(superstructure not the one under water)...its not a major issue. Its being reported elsewhere that it will leave pretty much on time. It can be "fixed' by the crew...and probably will be as soon as the government investigators release them to do it. Its the Captain who is responsible not the pilot who gives advice only...except in the Panama Canal...

As I said on the carnival thread, I would be stunned if the cya gummint lets it leave without much more "jump through hoops, lets drugtest the whole crew and most of the passengers" crapola.

Look at what the gummint did in Minneapolis! The NTSB is somehow keeping the local recovery divers out of the Mississippi. Unconscionable.

Keep in mind that it wasn't the Captain that hit the pier. It was the Harbor Pilot that they put on the ship to prevent that kind of acciDENT.

Not true. The pilots that board are there to offer advice, they do not control the ship. The exception is the Panama Canal, where the pilot does take control of the ship (so I've heard/read, I haven't yet cruised there or have any direct knowledge).

Archived