The beginning of a horrible era.

DKMDE

I doubt it. Celebrity will stay tradtional. Don't even try to compare Celebrity to Carnival. :p You would have to sail both to see the class of Celebrity compared to Carnival...

I would not count out Celebrity trying it. Who would have thought that HAL (who has a reputation of being one of the most traditional cruise lines out there) would have put this into place?

I am not sure if I personally would like Freestyle dining. Reason being I cruise solo more then with companions. I enjoy meeting and getting to know people. I would fine it difficult to get to know people if there wasn't structure when it come to the dining schedule.

I can see both sides though. Sometimes we feel like dairy cattle being lead into the milking parlor every morning.

Being a truck driver, I am told where & when I need to be everyday. I guess I still need this when it comes to dinner on a cruise. LOL J/K

For right now I think the Traditional dining is more my speed. But I am not closed minded enough not to give Freestyale a try. :)

I can see that each appeals to different people. A choice should be given to the customers. If a cruise line sees it is losing customers to another Line because of the difference in dining styles. I can gaurantee you there will be a change or customers will given a choice.

I hope it is a choise when that time comes!

I was just curious; how many people who free-style cruise still dress up t the hilt for dinner? I love dressing for dinner in my evening gown and getting my hair done beforehand.If my husband and I were to arrive for dinner in extremely formal attire would we feel out of place?

I was just curious; how many people who free-style cruise still dress up t the hilt for dinner? I love dressing for dinner in my evening gown and getting my hair done beforehand.If my husband and I were to arrive for dinner in extremely formal attire would we feel out of place?

I'm curious to see how many people dress up on the NCL Spirit this December. I for one will not be dressing up, and I wish Carnival would make formal nights "optional" as NCL has done, where you can still eat in the main dining rooms if you choose to not dress up. That would make my cruise PERFECT. Eating on the Lido Deck on formal night is the only thing about cruising that I find less than ideal. But it still beats wearing a dress ;)

All the things you like about traditional dining can be had with freestyle. You just have to do your own planning. The schedule is not set for you.

Honestly, I can be happy with either way. I do like being able to adjust dinner time based on the port times, and how I am feeling at the moment.

With the proliferation of the specialty restaurants, which are very popular and which people are willing to pay extra for, I don't see how freestyle cannot grow in popularity.

While I can see what you are saying, I think this is where some problems might occur. I for one like to dress up~it's something different for me. But, I can see the point that others don't like to dress up, and that's their choice. But the problem is, you can't really satisfy both. And IF you did allow people not to dress up but rst in thr dining toom, then you end up with the same problem as wearing jeans and crocs in the dining room!:eek:

Another vote for anytime dining, we have done traditional once and really didn't like it. We love that you can go anytime you would like and work around the shows or later excursions. We have never had to wait for more than about 5 minutes (that was only once and it was a formal night).

We like meeting people . . . before you knock it you have to give it a try. I think that Princess has it fairly correct, you can choose -okay sometimes there is a waiting list for traditional because they usually have one dining room for traditional and 2 for anytime dining. You still have the dress codes (on the Caribbean Princess I actually saw them turn people away for wearing shorts :D ) and formal night.

While I can see what you are saying, I think this is where some problems might occur. I for one like to dress up~it's something different for me. But, I can see the point that others don't like to dress up, and that's their choice. But the problem is, you can't really satisfy both.

NCL has "optional formal nights" where some people dress up and others don't - seems like an ideal situation to me. Everybody wins.

And IF you did allow people not to dress up but rst in thr dining toom, then you end up with the same problem as wearing jeans and crocs in the dining room!:eek:

There's a problem with wearing jeans and Crocs in the dining room on regular nights? Uh-oh, I guess some people will be upset with me on the Fantasy next month...

NCL has "optional formal nights" where some people dress up and others don't - seems like an ideal situation to me. Everybody wins....

Does it seem kind of wierd to have pple in tuxes and pple in in cotton polos?:confused:

There's a problem with wearing jeans and Crocs in the dining room on regular nights? Uh-oh, I guess some people will be upset with me on the Fantasy next month...

LOL~Realy I don't care if you want to wear them~DO! ;) Just what I have read on these boards!!!:eek:

They sure play it up in their commercials, but I don't know anyone who has tried it that liked it. The biggest complaint is that the "free" dining was a mob scene, and you always felt compelled to do the pay dining choices.

I personally think you will see more supper clubs, but I still enjoy traditional "scheduled" dining.

Let me introduce myself to you. Our first cruise was freestyle and we LOVED it. I want to eat when I'm hungry, not at a preset time daily. Now, we did the Miracle early seating and did enjoy it but we really had a lot of skepticism about even trying it. If not for the excellent food and wonderful waiters, I wouldn't have enjoyed the experience simply because the time is too restrictive. I can't say positively, but I don't believe there was a "pay" dining on NCL that was as expensive as the Miracle Supper Club.

_________

Carla

I am not sure if I personally would like Freestyle dining. Reason being I cruise solo more then with companions. I enjoy meeting and getting to know people. I would fine it difficult to get to know people if there wasn't structure when it come to the dining schedule

On the NCL Star in June, they asked if you wanted to share a table with others. They had certain tables set up for anyone who wanted to sit with others.

I am really amazed at those that condemn this 'free style' cruising because some one they know said they didn't like it. Wow, you guys really lead a very sheltered life.

We have cruised NCL 6 times and do so specifically for the free style dining. We love it. We have also cruised Princess because they had free style also. All the people that know ithey don't like it, must love to run to the buffet and carry your trays and find a table because you stayed out on your excursions a bit too long to make dinner. You want to eat a late lunch, but have an early dinner, too bad. With free style dining, you go in when you want and eat when you want. Yes you don't have the same waiter, but is that so important. You can tell the new waiter you want two ice teas. To be honest, I have only met one couple who didn't like free style because he had a dietary requirement and it helped to have the same waiter.

With free style, you want to dine alone one night, say just with the wife or special person, you can do it. The next night you want to meet some new people, you do that also. With set times, this is IMPOSSIBLE. You MUST sit with the same crowd EVERY single night.

And to all those that think there are long lines, it just isn't so. Do you think everyone one the ship wants to eat at the same time??. We have never had to wait more than 5 minutes. We always like to eat about 7-7:30. We eat, make a show and still have some appetite for a midnight buffet.

But to condemn something without ever experiencing it, not very smart.

I consider myself to be a Carnival guy. I did NCL Pride of Hawaii last summer however and freestyle dining was great. I'm sorry to hear that Pride of Hawaii is going away. The cruise was pretty awsome altogether but the cruise lacked a certain energy that I've come to expect from Carnival. If Carnival could enact freestyle dinning, I'd love it. I don't think it likely though because NCL ships use a lot of space for restaurants. This would mean that older Carnival ships would have to be retrofit to accomodate this at very high costs. The space would have to be taken from other rooms on the ship and it may also mean less staterooms or smaller staterooms.

As long as Carnival is #1, I don't wouldn't be looking for such drastic changes aboard they're ships to happen.

On the NCL Star in June, they asked if you wanted to share a table with others. They had certain tables set up for anyone who wanted to sit with others.

This is all well and good don't get me wrong. However, I like being seated with people more then once. Especially if the conversation was good and everyone had a great time!

My problem is this. Being a Solo cruiser, I wouldn't even consider asking someone if I could join them the next evening for dinner!

I mean let's face it even though I think I might have made a good impression. My tablemates might feel otherwise! LOL Putting someone in that position I feel is just wrong! Now hopefully they enjoyed my company and will be invited me back. I just don't feel it is my place to invite myself. :eek:

As a Solo cruiser I would like the traditional style better. More time with good folks! :)

As an example I met a gal on my last cruise several years ago (12 I think) to this day Leah & I still correspond with one another. Her friendship is one I cherish very much. I just glanced @ a picture taken of us and her friend Kristen while @ of all places dinner. I think things like this will be lost with freestyle dining. :(

Thats why I say I hope there is a choice between ships or onboard ships in different dinning rooms. :)

I am in America. I am allowed an Opinion, I am able to voice that opinion here thanks to the good people of Cruise Critic. I just have an opinion and by golly I am sticking too it! LOL :)

NCL still has formal nights. I too enjoy the opportunity to dress as sharp as a tack for dinner. It is true that less people opt to dress up though. That just made me look that much better:cool:. Actually, I don't think that there was much difference in the number of people dressing formal on NCL and Carnival. I really liked the choice of restaurants availible in freestyle. I think Carnival would do well to bring these choices to they're guests.

When I started cruising, we had the same restaurant table for all three meals. With both the waiter AND the assistant waiter. Eventually, the busboy disappeared altogether for breakfast.

They've sort of converted breakfast and lunch over to "freestyle", and I don't like it. The people you get seated with are simply meal partners, whom I never really get to know, as opposed to strangers you meet the first night, and as far as we are concerned, become lifelong friends, or at worst, E-mail exchangers.

And the servers? They don't seem to have a vested interest in you. Yes, they serve you, but none of that "extra' stuff ever appears.

So usually, it's easier just to eat up on the Lido deck. Some meals, that's the only thing open nowadays.

And yes, I've also read that on Princess, there is a waitlist for traditional dining!

Count me as another who does not cruise NCL for freestyle.

They sure play it up in their commercials, but I don't know anyone who has tried it that liked it.

Lots of people love it. I know I would prefer a freestyle type of option and only the exorbitant prices on NCL have kept me from sailing them so far.

When I started cruising, we had the same restaurant table for all three meals. With both the waiter AND the assistant waiter. Eventually, the busboy disappeared altogether for breakfast.

They've sort of converted breakfast and lunch over to "freestyle", and I don't like it. The people you get seated with are simply meal partners, whom I never really get to know, as opposed to strangers you meet the first night, and as far as we are concerned, become lifelong friends, or at worst, E-mail exchangers.

And the servers? They don't seem to have a vested interest in you. Yes, they serve you, but none of that "extra' stuff ever appears.

So usually, it's easier just to eat up on the Lido deck. Some meals, that's the only thing open nowadays.

And yes, I've also read that on Princess, there is a waitlist for traditional dining!

Count me as another who does not cruise NCL for freestyle.

I get a kick out of those who swear they love Freestyle, and to make it easier they reserve the same table in the same restaurant at the same time everynight. :confused:

My problem is this. Being a Solo cruiser, I wouldn't even consider asking someone if I could join them the next evening for dinner!

I mean let's face it even though I think I might have made a good impression. My tablemates might feel otherwise! LOL Putting someone in that position I feel is just wrong! Now hopefully they enjoyed my company and will be invited me back. I just don't feel it is my place to invite myself.

Look at it another way: invite them to join you. Why is it okay for them to invite you, but not for you to invite them?

I've been on N. Jewel and several Princess ships and have to say we like Freestyle and Anytime dining also.

On the Jewel there were 10 (12?) different restaurants. How can you not like having the choice of Asian, Japanese, Steak, French, Italian, Mexican, diner-style, buffet (I'm sure I'm forgetting a theme) each night? We never waited, ate at different times, never even came close to missing a show. Never waited on Princess either.

We like Traditional also. It's nice to get to know your waiters each night.

I like them both.

When I book a cruise, there's alot that goes into my choice, not just the dining room. I consider the ship, itinerary, price. Then will we be seated at traditional or personal choice/freestyle.....as I said, I like them both, no problems with either.

I think the "freestyle" concept is a good idea if done right. Our one cruise on NCL was a perfect example of how not to do it. There seemed to be total confusion in the kitchen. Dishes often were sent out incomplete. Isn't Cream of Mushroom soup supposed to have "Cream of" in it? The steaming pile of chopped mushrooms wasn't pleasant. Princess seemed to have the right idea of offering both options but seems to be going off track by allowing those assigned to Traditional to use the Anytime dining rooms. I'm confident if Carnival decides to offer an anytime dining option it will be only when the other lines have worked out the kinks or at least highlighted them to Carnival can fix them.

I've done both and love both. Freestyle was wonderful as we ate when we got hungry. It's nice not to have to eat lunch at a certain time so you'll be hungry again if you have the early seating. It's total freedom of eating when you want. We enjoyed food as well as the service and never had a wait time. As far as the waiter knowing what you want to drink and all that, how hard is it to say "ice tea please". Does it take up too much of your vacation time? I find some of these comments a bit funny. Some people, most who have never tried freestyle, just don't want to admit there just may be another way to do things and it's not too bad! Most of my cruises have been Carnival and I love them. But I have nothing bad to say about freestyle. I tried it, I liked it.

I have seen the NCL boards and can't explain it:confused: . I was just saying that I don't personally know anyone who enjoyed it.

I loved freestyle ("anytime" dining) on our Regent cruise. I admit it may work better on a smaller ship, and the Voyager carries 700 passengers. Since that's all I've ever done, I can't imagine the "old" style of always being seated at the same time with the same people. We loved meeting new people every evening. A big factor in our deciding against Crystal was that they had the traditional seatings.

Archived