HELP!!!! What to do about makeup???

JPerry

Ok so I only have 1 month until the big day. My cousin is a hair stylist and she will be doing my hair the day of the wedding. I called Royal Romance to book a makeup appointment before the wedding and they said for the cruise we are going on they do not have an outside salon and that i should contact Royal Caribbean. So I called RCCL and thay said they do not pre book salon appointments, not even for weddings!!!!! GRRRRR! Im so mad, I am clueless when it comes to putting on makeup :( Any advice????? Im so upset!!!!!!

I don't know if this will help you - but this is what I'm doing. I'm going to a cosmetician (for me, at Shoppers Drug Mart - I'm in Canada) and getting a free makeup session. She'll then help me select products so I can do what she did to me...she'll show me how to apply it, what to apply, etc...

Which port are you going out of? We are sailing out of Port Canaveral, and their visitor's bureau has a great website that lists local businesses, including salons and spas. Maybe you could check out the visitor's bureau for your port city.

Don't be upset! I was in your boat too! I can help, I can help! :) I was completely makeup ignorant. Never wore a drop of the stuff until last year. Even though I was dabbling into makeup finally, I never really knew how to put it on right or what colors looked good for my skin tone, eye color, hair color, etc...

I decided I would not pay someone to do something I could probably learn to do myself. I also could carry the experience on through the days after the wedding and such.

I broke down and went to the Clinique counter. Tried Lancome as well, but I wasn't thrilled with the service I received there. That's just MY experience though. I'm sure there are other Lancome consultants out there that are fabulous. Some of their products are great too. I just order those online now so I don't have to deal with that rag at the counter! ;)

Anyhoo...I told the lady at Clinique what type of "look" I wanted for everyday (I prefer the more natural look) and that I wanted to learn a good look for a beach wedding. She sat with me for about 2 hours, going through application techniques, color choices, and whatnot. She did half of my face and I did the other. No pressure to buy at all, but the products were so great that I did end up buying quite a bit.

I can now "put my face on" in less than 15 minutes and not to be conceited, it looks pretty darn good. I also have some time to practice and play with new colors before the wedding as well. For the price of one session with a makeup artist on the ship, I was able to buy my own products to use all the time and received some great advice. It's sort of empowering! lol

I would highly recommend checking out the Clinique (or other line of your choice) counter and asking for help. It took a HUGE load off of my mind (and my wallet!) :D

I did the same thing as "luvmybear", except that I used the MAC Cosmetic Counter at Nordstrom...I love their makeup!! I think most of the major cosmetic counters offer this type of consultation, and I think they all do it for free, but of course they are hoping that you purchase their products.

Ok so I only have 1 month until the big day. My cousin is a hair stylist and she will be doing my hair the day of the wedding. I called Royal Romance to book a makeup appointment before the wedding and they said for the cruise we are going on they do not have an outside salon and that i should contact Royal Caribbean. So I called RCCL and thay said they do not pre book salon appointments, not even for weddings!!!!! GRRRRR! Im so mad, I am clueless when it comes to putting on makeup :( Any advice????? Im so upset!!!!!!

These are here in Cocoa Beach.

One of the best makeup artist here in Cocoa Beach is

Let's Face It 2055 N. Atlantic Avenue, Cocoa Beach, phone 321-784-4526

Makeup, permanent cosmetics etc (this is all she does is make-up)

Second one is Stylz located at 5505 North Atlantic Ave. Suite 101 Cocoa

Beach and phone number is 321-784-2148 - call for an appointment since open at 10:30 but will come in early for a special appointment. They have been around for about 18 years and with a lot of experience.

Always

Shirley

If you do a makeup counter consultation, remember that, when the pictures are being taken AT the wedding, the flashbulbs are going to wash you out.

Dont be surprised if the makeup artist puts your makeup on heavy.

To get a little perspective on the new-made-up-you bring a digital camera along and have someone take your picture from fairly close up, and also from about 5 feet back.

You may find that you actually need more makeup in order to look your best.

It depends on personal choice and how you want to look in your pictures.

Men have it so easy!

Excellent point SAS80! I can never bring myself to apply my makeup heavy enough, and except for when I go out to an event where I am glammed up, I don't even look like I'm wearing makeup in most pictures!

I actually love using black eyeshadow on the outside of my eye with a silver or gray on the inside (I have brown eyes). It's very dramatic!

You have time to become a pro and get the look that you are most comfortable with. So - don't just hit one cosmetic counter and brand. Give a number of them a try and see what works best for you.

I am a Bare Escentuals convert - it is easier than liquid to apply IMHO, and easier to learn, I think. You can use the eye shadows and liners wet or dry to vary the look and intensity, contour with with a number of neutral shades, add glow and/or sparkle.

If you live within a reasonable distance of a BE boutique, you could pay a visit. The sales staff is very helpful - full of great ideas.

Also, the department store cosmetic counters are great, especially if they have a consultant for one of the lines in and you can make an appointment. One suggestion - the lighting in the most stores is terrible for judging makeup. Step outside into natural light and check the mirror, snap a picture, etc. to really see how you look.

While the makeup is being applied have a detailed conversation - and explain your situation.

You will need to do your own makeup on board ship during the honeymoon anyway - so you might as well take the plunge and learn!

Wishing you a perfect wedding and a lifetime of happiness!

Thank you all for your tips!!!! I am going to head to the makeup counters this weekend! Im actually excited about it now!!!! I do wear a little makeup but i have been putting it on the same way for about 10 years.....and its not that great, so im looking forward to learning new techniques!!!:D

Thank you all for your tips!!!! I am going to head to the makeup counters this weekend! Im actually excited about it now!!!! I do wear a little makeup but i have been putting it on the same way for about 10 years.....and its not that great, so im looking forward to learning new techniques!!!:D

My biggest lesson learned was using a foundation brush vs. a sponge. You use a LOT less makeup with the brush vs. using a sponge and it goes on so much lighter. Who knew? :confused:

Well i went to the Clinique counter today and met a very nice girl there that helped me with my makeup. I told her my dilema and she was happy to help! She put makeup on half my face and she had me do the other half. It ended up costing me about $140.00 after all was said and done but i ended up with a facial toner, moisturizer, 2 eye shadows, foundation, face powder, and a base coat for my eyes to put on before putting on my eye shadow. She made me a makeup chart to help me remember how to do it. I think it helped me out quite a bit. The colors she used were not much different than what i usually wear but i figured once i get the it down i can switch up the colors a little. Jeez, good makeup is expensive!!!! Im used to buying cover girl and makeup that is not very expensive. Oh well im sure it will be worth the $$$. :)

Well i went to the Clinique counter today and met a very nice girl there that helped me with my makeup. I told her my dilema and she was happy to help! She put makeup on half my face and she had me do the other half. It ended up costing me about $140.00 after all was said and done but i ended up with a facial toner, moisturizer, 2 eye shadows, foundation, face powder, and a base coat for my eyes to put on before putting on my eye shadow. She made me a makeup chart to help me remember how to do it. I think it helped me out quite a bit. The colors she used were not much different than what i usually wear but i figured once i get the it down i can switch up the colors a little. Jeez, good makeup is expensive!!!! Im used to buying cover girl and makeup that is not very expensive. Oh well im sure it will be worth the $$$. :)

I'm glad you had a good experience! It was a sticker shock to me as well when I dropped all that money on my makeup. However if the product is good, you don't have to use that much of it and it lasts longer. Kind of like salon shampoos vs. drugstore ones. It'll even out when you don't have to buy it quite as often! :)

I still use some drugstore makeup. I use Cover Girl Volume Exact mascara and Revlon Colorstay eye shadow. I also still use my NYC lipgloss. It's like $2 from Wal Mart and it's the best I've found yet.

Have fun with your new makeup! :D

I'm glad you had a good experience! It was a sticker shock to me as well when I dropped all that money on my makeup. However if the product is good, you don't have to use that much of it and it lasts longer. Kind of like salon shampoos vs. drugstore ones. It'll even out when you don't have to buy it quite as often! :)

I still use some drugstore makeup. I use Cover Girl Volume Exact mascara and Revlon Colorstay eye shadow. I also still use my NYC lipgloss. It's like $2 from Wal Mart and it's the best I've found yet.

Have fun with your new makeup! :D

h

A quality handbag is the same way

My two daughters also wear very little makeup. The wedding last weekend took place in FLL and we went to MAC by Macy's store at Broward County Mall. The lady did a prep the day before and she was right on time last Sunday...charged $65 per person, and she did a fantastic job.

John & Shari

I made my appointment for my make-up the day we boarded the ship. It was a little expensive but it was worth it. Are you getting married the day the ship leaves the port or in one of the other ports?

Okay, this is a weird question... has anyone used or use false eyelashes? You just see movie stars wearing them and they make a huge difference. I think I tried them on one halloween and they were awful. I would love to wear them, espcially for pictures if they look natural and wouldn't drive me crazy. ;)

My two daughters also wear very little makeup. The wedding last weekend took place in FLL and we went to MAC by Macy's store at Broward County Mall. The lady did a prep the day before and she was right on time last Sunday...charged $65 per person, and she did a fantastic job.

John & Shari

Did you just ask her if she would do a personal makeup session for the wedding? I never would have thought to ask that but it's a great idea! I'd like to think I do a pretty decent job on my makeup, but I want a little something "extra" for my special day!

I made my appointment for my make-up the day we boarded the ship. It was a little expensive but it was worth it. Are you getting married the day the ship leaves the port or in one of the other ports?

I am getting married the day the ship leaves, and i called RCCL and they said they do not pre book salon appointments...not even for weddings.

I have been practicing putting on my makeup......Im not crazy about it though. It does look much better than the way i used to do it but not what i had wished for. :(

I will keep practicing and maybe go t another makeup counter, i have already spent about $200 in makeup and i cant bring myself to buying more.

I am getting married the day the ship leaves, and i called RCCL and they said they do not pre book salon appointments...not even for weddings.

I have been practicing putting on my makeup......Im not crazy about it though. It does look much better than the way i used to do it but not what i had wished for. :(

I will keep practicing and maybe go t another makeup counter, i have already spent about $200 in makeup and i cant bring myself to buying more.

Now you do know that you don't HAVE to buy anything, right? If you feel obligated (which I do as well, so don't be offended! :) ) you can just purchase something small or just one item. You don't have to buy every product they put on you. I know I never have! :D

Also, check with your local hair salon. They might have a stylist who is also a makeup artist that can help you apply the products you already have to your liking. Now that I know how to apply makeup in the general sense, my stylist has been very helpful with tips and suggestions about how much to use in certain types of lighting and whatnot. She also did a run with me to make sure I could do it and she's going to have me come back in December for another trial just to make sure I have it right.

Did you just ask her if she would do a personal makeup session for the wedding? I never would have thought to ask that but it's a great idea! I'd like to think I do a pretty decent job on my makeup, but I want a little something "extra" for my special day!

My two girls called MAC which is in Macy's store at the Broward County Mall, and they were advised to come in the day before so the person that would actually do their makeup would be able to see what looked good on them. Keep in mind the day of your wedding will be very hectic morning and you will be given a specific time to be at the port...our time was actually pushed up a half hour from what we were initially told.

You should have your hair and makeup done prior to getting to the port and beleive me when I tell you this even though the makeup lady was right on time, I did not know that we were going to make it to Port Everglades by 10:00. Having a professional there proved to be a real plus...keep in mind you may be a bit nervous that day too. We had also brought our own hair dressers from the Tampa area too which was another good idea that really helped that morning. Being as organized up front will make the early morning part of that big day somewhat less stressful.

John & Shari

Archived