Whale Watching Help

ShamrockFL

I tried this on the Australia Board, and no one is into whales over there. :( But a kind soul suggested that this group may be more adventurous, so I'm trying you. Now don't let me down like the others did!!

I'm lookig for help in finding a good whale watching trip for mid-September. One place I have time to try it is in the Brisbane area. Do any such tours leave from Brisbane? I have also seen that there are tours in Nelson Bay which I might be able to manage out of Newastle. Can anyone recommend any providers anywhere? I realise that probably the best place is Hervey Bay, but not sure that I'll be up that far. Keeping my fingers crossed for input.:D

I have been to Nelson Bay a few times and I know they do whale watch tours. The company is called Moonshadow cruises. I have done dolphin cruises and they are great. Sorry, I haven't done a whale watch one though. But in the whale watch season, Nelson Bay would be good. Plus, I love Nelson Bay! The whale watch cruises run from May to November. It sounds great!!

Sorry I'm not much help.:)

I can't recommend any of these (as I haven't personally been on them) - but here's a few links to some tours closer to Brisbane:

This one leave from Redcliffe (about 30 minutes north of Brisbane CBD):

http://www.ozhorizons.com.au/qld/bris/moreton/ww.htm

This is a Gold Coast based one (I think they have pick ups in Brisbane):

http://www.goldcoastwhalewatching.com.au/

Enjoy it!:)

OK, I feel a bit dumb asking this, but since everyone is so helpful on this board I'll throw this out there. We will be cruising up the Queensland coast in September, which I understand will still be during the whale watching season. We are hoping if there are some whales around we might spot them from the ship. Has anyone seen any whales on a cruise... in the sea that is, not the swimming pool :eek:

I have spent hours and hours gazing over the side on two cruises on the Pacific Sun.

All I have seen are mutton birds, the Pacific Star and some whale blows in the distance. (the mist from their blow holes when they surface).

I've seen nothing else. Sometimes you think you are the only thing on the planet.

One thing was amazing on our last cruise in May was when we were 2 days out of Isle of Pines and heading to Sydney (ie, in the middle of nowhere) and 4 swallows were flying around the Lido deck and the funnel. They landed occasionally on the rails and then took off for another flyover.

I thought at first that there was a nest on board and then I thought about how the ship is cleaned from top to bottom every day and the staff would soon find it.

So I spoke to one of the staff and he said the tiny swallows often fly in for a rest and a visit as they travel over the ocean. Amazing. :eek:

Has anyone else seen them?

We also saw the occassional little bird out there. When DH cruised on the Fairstar years ago, they had an albatross following them, often landing on board. How cool would that be??

Karen

We saw the flying fish too when we were on the Star in January/February. We also had another pair of birds (I have no idea what they were) that were flying right next to the ship, just above the waterline - they would take turns at leading. We watched them through the binoculars, they had the most muscular wings - it was incredible. They were with us for hours that day - we would go back and check and there they still were ... they were gone the next day though. I guess they were using the draft from the ship to help them???

Archived