help with the little details -venice

Hi, our group of 6 adults are ironing out the details of our short visit to Vencie hoping to make the most of two days. Our cruise begins in Venice but our vacation will start in Amsterday a few days earlier. I have a short list of questions that I would love to get some feedback on. Please read on.

We are taking a direct flight from AMsterdam to Venice, do we still have to go through customs since our departure city is in the EU?

Appears land taxi is the fastest way to get to the port, any comments? Assume we will need two taxi's for the 6 of us plus luggage.

Instead of the ship shuttle, we were thinking it would be cheaper to take water taxi at night back to ship. Any idea on the cost of water taxi from St Mark's to the Port?

Is walking back to the port at night safe? I read this should take about an hour, anyone disagree?

Any idea how long the vaporetto ride from P. Roma to Murano will take? Or the ride from Murano to St Mark's? I think we have the routes down, either the DM or 42 to Murano from P. Roma, and then the 42 from Murano to St Marks, anyone disagree?

Thank you in advance for you posts, the information we've received on these boards has been instrumental in our plans. Thank you again!

Hi, our group of 6 adults are ironing out the details of our short visit to Vencie hoping to make the most of two days. Our cruise begins in Venice but our vacation will start in Amsterday a few days earlier. I have a short list of questions that I would love to get some feedback on. Please read on.

We are taking a direct flight from AMsterdam to Venice, do we still have to go through customs since our departure city is in the EU?

Appears land taxi is the fastest way to get to the port, any comments? Assume we will need two taxi's for the 6 of us plus luggage.

Instead of the ship shuttle, we were thinking it would be cheaper to take water taxi at night back to ship. Any idea on the cost of water taxi from St Mark's to the Port?

Is walking back to the port at night safe? I read this should take about an hour, anyone disagree?

Any idea how long the vaporetto ride from P. Roma to Murano will take? Or the ride from Murano to St Mark's? I think we have the routes down, either the DM or 42 to Murano from P. Roma, and then the 42 from Murano to St Marks, anyone disagree?

Thank you in advance for you posts, the information we've received on these boards has been instrumental in our plans. Thank you again!

We were on the Millennium for the 5/25 sailing from Venice to Barcelona. We flew from the US to Venice via London Gatwick. We had to clear Passport Control in Venice, which took all of 30 seconds.

A land taxi is definitely the easiest and most cost effective way to get from the airport to the port, though you'll miss coming into Venice via the sea. You'll need two taxis for six plus luggage.

The Port of Venice runs a free shuttle bus during the day from the terminal to Piazzale Roma, where you can catch the Vaporetto around Venice. It's about a 15 minute walk from the terminal to Piazzale Roma. (The free shuttle takes the same route you'd walk so you might want to take the shuttle and pay close attention to the route.) It's well lit (and well travelled). You can easily catch a Vaporetto from San Marco back to Piazzale Roma then walk back over the bridge to the terminal. This would be much less expensive than a water taxi from San Marco.

The trip from Piazzale Roma to Murano is about 30 minutes each way. I'm not sure there's a direct vaporetto from Murano to San Marco; you might need to change boats in Piazzale Roma.

Have a great cruise!!

Frederick

A few things to mention:

There are direct vaporetti from St. Marco to Murano. Additionally, the regular service from St. Marco to the airport goes via Murano. However, the stop you want is not called San Marco but San Zaccaria. If you stand with your back to the water facing San Marco, the San Marco vaporetti stop is to the left, and San Zaccaria a short walk to the right past the Doges Palace.

The individual Vaporetto fares are quite expensive at 6 euros per journey on the ACTV vaporetti. However, you can buy a two day pass for 25 euros which will include the trip to Murano via the No. 42 ACTV, but not the Aliguna airport boat.

Once you get back to Piazzale Roma its still quite a long walk back to the ship. We shared a land taxi from Piazzale Roma back to the ship which cost about 7 euros between us.

Its a great journey coming from the airport by boat. However, the public services will still give you what could be quite a long walk with your luggage. The land taxi is quicker and can take you to the ship.

Paul S

Because you will be starting out in Amsterdam, you should only have to go through immigration there. When you travel to Venice, you will still be within the Schengen zone, so no further checks should be necessary.

Frederick (above) had to go through passport control a second time because the UK is not one of the Schengen countries.

Lisa

We were on the 6/18 sailing of Millennium out of Venice. Celebrity ran a shuttle boat from the pier to St Mark's for $20 per person per day (good for the entire day). Knowing how much we paid for a water taxi to get us from our hotel to the pier ($154), I would be surprised if it would be cheaper than the $20/person shuttle pass.

We took the Vaporetto to Murano and on the way stopped at P Roma. I would estimate that it was about 20-30 minutes ride to Murano from P Roma.

I believe fsdorado is confused and lisiamc mistaken with regard to passport control and customs. Travelling within the EC you go through the blue zone at customs rather than the green (although you still need to go through red if there is anything to declare).

With regard to pasports, it is the passport of your home country which determines the line you go through. Therefore even if you have travelled from an EC country, if you have a US pasport you need each time to go through the non EC line.

Now that there are so many countries in the EC, for a UK national flying at a busy time back through Stansted the queues at passport control can be longer for EC passport holders than non EC passports!

Paul S

I believe fsdorado is confused and lisiamc mistaken with regard to passport control and customs. Travelling within the EC you go through the blue zone at customs rather than the green (although you still need to go through red if there is anything to declare).

With regard to pasports, it is the passport of your home country which determines the line you go through. Therefore even if you have travelled from an EC country, if you have a US pasport you need each time to go through the non EC line.

Now that there are so many countries in the EC, for a UK national flying at a busy time back through Stansted the queues at passport control can be longer for EC passport holders than non EC passports!

Paul S

Paul,

We flew from Dallas to LGW. We did NOT pass thru passport control. We went thru a BAA security check before being let into the airside (secure) portion of Gatwick. We definitely went thru passport control in Venice (and have the stamps in our passports to prove it). We had nothing to declare so we did not have to go thru Customs. On the flight from Barcelona to Gatwick, we just had to pick up our luggage and go thru the Blue "nothing to declare" line without going thru passport control (since we were coming from an EC country). In any case, the OP shouldn't need to go thru passport control since they're coming from Amsterdam.

Frederick

fsdorado,

Firstly apologies, my misreading of your post was that you left the airport at Gatwick, not that you went through airside in transit.

By passing through the red green or blue channels you are "going through" customs. On an international flight I wuld be extremely surprised if you wee able to leave the airport without going through one of the three channels.

If your journey originated outside the EU then you should go through green rather than blue, as there are defined duty free allowances for travellers coming trom outside the EU, but not for passengers whose journey commenced in the EU.

I fly around Europe on a fairly frequent basis. In every airport I have had to go through passport control. Usually it is enough to hold up your UK passport and they waive you through, but in every instance it has still been necessary to go past an official at the passport control booth, and on occasions my passport has been checked. For EU residents I understand it is not necessary to carry an actual passport, provided you have some other form of ID. However, without a passport or other approved photo ID you will not be allowed on the plane.

Paul S

Paul S

Paul S

I knew I would get some good input, thank you. We'll be prepared for customs and hope it takes us only a few minutes, I'll have ants in my pants waiting in line knowing Venice is only a short drive away!

Murano appears doable too!

e are taking a direct flight from AMsterdam to Venice, do we still have to go through customs since our departure city is in the EU? You go through passport control at Amsterdam. Your bags go on to Venice

and in my case earlier this year I on arrival went to the baggage area, got my bags and was told to exit terminal as were many others. They do some spot-checking so not everyone is checked.

Appears land taxi is the fastest way to get to the port, any comments? Assume we will need two taxi's for the 6 of us plus luggage. And the most expensive it will run you around $100 per taxi. You have to have a few facts to know which is best.

Taxi x 2 $200. Pro will drop you right at your hotels stop (if it has one) if not then

Alilaguna- a public water taxi stops at St. Marks if you hotel is in walking distance

Runs about $16e leaves from same area as water taxi’s at airport, ½ hour

Blue Bus: leaves out front of airport, 53 each, bags under bus, takes you to Pizza Roma where you get on Vapertto. 5e each 20 mins.

Instead of the ship shuttle, we were thinking it would be cheaper to take water taxi at night back to ship. Any idea on the cost of water taxi from St Mark's to the Port? Take either the ships deal or you can take public taxi, which usually runs on day’s ships are in port. Don’t depend on P. Roma shuttle some times there is no shuttle to ship and it’s an uphill, downhill hike and with bags it’s a killer

Is walking back to the port at night safe? Yes but as in city pay attention to business

I read this should take about an hour, anyone disagree? If you go directly but that’s hard to do

Take the public taxi.

Any idea how long the vapertto ride from P. Roma to Murano will take?

Depends on traffic not more than ½ hour on the #1, 20 min on the 82 the express

Or the ride from Murano to St Mark's? Again depends on traffic and how many are getting on and off at various tops.

Best buys are 24, 48 or 72 hour tickets 72 hours is 30e. Vapertto police are in high gear this year and checking all tickets time and time again, fine is 72e. Also take care in St. Marks with food, water as they have imposed several fines due to littering. Fine is 500e Also ALWAYS get a receipt. The tax police are out in force this year as well fines are large. Fine is 150-500e with no real rime or reason as to which it is.

Remember and tourists are the main source of this income.

What do you mean about water and food in St. Marks? Do they not allow it anymore? Receipts for what? And what are the tax police looking for? We always have a receipt for the items we purchase and the tax is always automatically added. Please explain. Sharon

In Italy one must obtain and keep the receipt for a restaurant. If you are stopped coming out of a restaurant without one you commit an offence and both you and the establishment can be in trouble.

Hence the need to keep the receipt for your food etc.. I always keep all of them just in case.

As for St. Marks - whilst eating or drinking at Florians is one of the great pleasures of Venice - it is very expensive. My wife and I had a light lunch there on our first wedding anniversary, which was lovely but it was one of those occasions where I paid the bill without thinking of it in GBP! Florians is on the side of the square closest to the lagoon.

Matthew

What do you mean about water and food in St. Marks? Do they not allow it anymore? Receipts for what? And what are the tax police looking for? We always have a receipt for the items we purchase and the tax is always automatically added. Please explain. Sharon
al

Its simple. When Italy joined the EU they have agreed to follow certain EU rules. That and the fact that many Italian and Non-Italian Merchants have never reported what they sold correctly is causing a cracking down and they are now requiring that every person who purchases an item must have a receipt for that item until it is consumed. As an example I buy a bottle of water. I pay for it and walk out the door. Merchant just doesn’t report that item as sold. He owes less tax. So the tax police check you coming out the door and your receipt had better match one he has on hand or you both get fined. Or if like most of us you buy water, you pay for it, you have it and don’t give second thought about receipt, you walk out the door and bingo they nab you. If he has a receipt and you don’t you pay the whole fine.

Here are some links where you can read about these things. The bottom line is pay attention so something like this doesn’t ruin your trip.

http://www.travel-budget.com/italy/venice_tickets.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/14/travel/main2927983.shtml

http://www.comune.venezia.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/EN/IDPagina/144

I have never had a problem with the tax police but I have had run-ins with the vapettero police and once threaten to swim back across the canal after a hassle over ticket. Its interesting that you can have food items from the merchants in San Marco Sq. of course a simple cup of coffee can cost you 12-15e just to sit down. Also take note that sitting not in the cafes in the sq is also a fine item.

Re: Pizza Roma to San Marco ½ hour San Marco to Murano about 40 min. Hopefully that was clear.

When we were in Venice in May, we had the hotel (Marriott Courtyard) call us a van taxi which fit 6 of us and all of our luggage to go to the ship. The Marriott is by the airport. The cost was 55E. There may be larger vans at the airport or you could have one called. It would be more cost effective for 6.

When we were in Venice in May, we had the hotel (Marriott Courtyard) call us a van taxi which fit 6 of us and all of our luggage to go to the ship. The Marriott is by the airport. The cost was 55E. There may be larger vans at the airport or you could have one called. It would be more cost effective for 6.

Thanks, at 55 euro taking 1 van vs. 2 taxis sounds like a bargin

Archived