Ultimate Balcony Dining*

mrtractor

We will be going on only our second Princess cruise and our first time in a Princess suite. I happened to notice on Princess's website something about "Ultimate Balcony Dining."

Can you folks tell me what that is and how to get it?

How many guests, if any, can you have?

What sort of menu do they offer?

Is there an extra charge?

Is it only available for suite guests or for anyone with a balcony?

We'll be in a PS on the Crown - A750.

Thanks in advance!!!

MrTractor<---------is just planning on "Living Large" for a week..........

We will be going on only our second Princess cruise and our first time in a Princess suite. I happened to notice on Princess's website something about "Ultimate Balcony Dining."

Can you folks tell me what that is and how to get it?

How many guests, if any, can you have?

What sort of menu do they offer?

Is there an extra charge?

Is it only available for suite guests or for anyone with a balcony?

We'll be in a PS on the Crown - A750.

Thanks in advance!!!

MrTractor<---------is just planning on "Living Large" for a week..........

Since you have a full suite booked, you can order off the dining room menus for lunch and dinner and are given an expanded room service menu for breakfast. No extra charge for this.

But if you choose the ultimate balcony dining, then yes, there is a charge of $100 per couple.

This is a special dining offering that comes with staff to serve your meal, flowers, a free picture, champagne, etc.

....living large! Large in price.

Has anyone actually ever had a dinner party in a Princess Suite? On NCL, you just ask your bulter to set up for as many people as you want. Or as many as they can seat according to the size suite you are in. We've had as many as 6. The butler and the room service staff serve dinner on white linen, course by course, just like if you were in the dining room. You tip accordingly at the end of the week. (If they've provided those types of special services, we tip extra generously).

$100 seems a little steep for a photo and some flowers, doesn't it?

MrTractor<-------not picking on Princess, just trying figure out what to expect.........

There is also a special menu involved for the UBD!

The UBD would be served, pretty much on the same order as you are used to on other lines, except there would be that charge of $100 for every two people that attended.

Expanded room service is no extra charge, but all the food will be delivered at once, just like with regular room service and it will not be served.

......denims! I could only wish tha I were so warmly welcomed everywhere I post! A legend on NCL? UhhhhYIKES! I try to make it fun when I can. Or when some wetblanket doesnt' try to spoil it for me! Now that we are booked on a Princess Cruise, stay tuned. I'll be posting over here more. I see you are very close to a Canal cruise. What ship was that again?

Toto2Kansas,

Does that special menu include any wine? Maybe that's the difference. If so, then maybe it's not so far out of line. If we did the same thing on NCL, we'd likely order off the specialty restaurant menu. Besides, that would be a better comparison. That's typically an extra $15-20 each. Add a photo for $20 and a couple of glasses of wine at $7.50 each and you're pretty much at the same thing. Not quite, but almost!

MrTractor<-----isn't a legend, but has a reputation, for sure..........

.....in the ball park. For Surf and Turf at Cagney's the alternative steak n' seafood house on most of NCLs modern ships the charge for that is $25 per person. Add a split of Champagne (which we don't really like anyway) for about $20, two cocktails for $7.50 including tip each and a photo for $15 that comes to about $100. I wouldn't say it was a bargain, but it's about what you would pay for that ala carte.

Now on NCL, (sorry, I've been on so many of these in everything from the OS to an inside I can't help but compare) in anything above a mini suite, you have the services of a butler. They will do all that for the cost of the alternative dining. And you typically will get at least one bottle of wine on the lower end PHs all the way up to a bottle a night in and OS and basically an open bar in the Garden Suites. I'm not sure if I'll try it or not.

Depends on how many tractors I sell this year!!!

MrTractor<------likes to dine out with friends most of the time - unless we are just too tired to leave the room!....:( ....

.....in the ball park. For Surf and Turf at Cagney's the alternative steak n' seafood house on most of NCLs modern ships the charge for that is $25 per person. Add a split of Champagne (which we don't really like anyway) for about $20, two cocktails for $7.50 including tip each and a photo for $15 that comes to about $100. I wouldn't say it was a bargain, but it's about what you would pay for that ala carte.

Now on NCL, (sorry, I've been on so many of these in everything from the OS to an inside I can't help but compare) in anything above a mini suite, you have the services of a butler. They will do all that for the cost of the alternative dining. And you typically will get at least one bottle of wine on the lower end PHs all the way up to a bottle a night in and OS and basically an open bar in the Garden Suites. I'm not sure if I'll try it or not.

Depends on how many tractors I sell this year!!!

MrTractor<------likes to dine out with friends most of the time - unless we are just too tired to leave the room!....:( ....

here 's a link to the menu.

http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com/UBD.pdf

Bill

We had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on the Crown over the Easter holidays--We had the surf and turf--don't know where they hide those gigantic lobsters--certainly can't even find them in the Grille.

The table white linen, flowers etc.--photo--starts with appetizers etc--

Since it was so great on the Crown--we tried it on the TP and expected the same as the Crown--they mean't well--but don't have that gigantic lobster--We had an aft OS on the TP--we were really treated well--gigantic balcony etc.--Since there is no butler--Room Service becomes your best friend--We would have tables set up for a party 15 minutes after we returned from an excursion--they took care of everything--They were so dependable--you always feel better about things happening on time it's hard not to be there and supervise--NOT NECESSARY oin the TP.

Yes you can have guest for the Ultimate Dinner--Depending on space I would guess

Nancy:D

We've had as many as 6 for lunch before in a suite -- not a problem. We had the menus ahead of time (this was for lunch) and everyone just ordered what they wanted. For us, room service was hit or miss -- sometimes we had place mats, sometimes a tablecloth, sometimes just the tray. It really depended on who delivered it. I am guessing at night they would be more apt to do the table cloth.

Wewould like to try this since hearing so much about it, Cruising in March on the Crown. I asked Princess at booking how to go about booking this and was told once on board but the person didn't know who to call/see! Any info? Hi Nancy (Seal) We are doing a repeat of last year. glad to hear the TP went well.

Melody

We just called Room Service--they can only do a few each evening--because the guy (in the tuxedo) stays in the hall by your door--and will enter when he thinks that you are through with whatever your eating at the time and then call the chef to prepare the next dish.

Do this as soon as you get on--as I remember they will tell you when you can do it--Anyway you'll love it!!!

Last year on the Crown was our second b2b for the Southern Caribbean--I know a lot of us take that one over and over

The night we did this it was terribly windy--our photos really show that--hair flying all over the place!!

Nancy:D

The UBD was well worth the $$$ (IMHO). On the Crown we had an amazing server -- her name was Jovelyn (Jovey) and she made the evening very special. I think if you click on the link to my pictures that I uploaded the ones from dinner.

We each had a cocktail of our choice. We had appetizers, salad, surf and turf, and let me tell you the filet was HUGE and the lobster tail was incredible! Then we had desert and cookies and coffee. And we had beautiful fresh flowers all week, a free photo of us (actually the photographer gave us two photos), and the split of champaigne. It was amazing and well worth the $100.

Thanks for the help. I take it the earlier on in the cruise is better since flowers are involved to enjoy. Do you think if we call on boarding they might be available the next night which is formal night? Paul, my husband will love the idea of formal night lobster in shorts!!!!

Melody

We also did the UBD on the Caribbean Princess last week - it was wonderful! Well worth the $100. Be prepared for more food than you can eat.

We called room service as soon as we boarded on Sunday (around 12:30) and reserved for the next evening with no problem. Our waiter later told us that they only do 2 each evening - so definitely call as soon as you board so you don't miss out!

We've had as many as 6 for lunch before in a suite -- not a problem. We had the menus ahead of time (this was for lunch) and everyone just ordered what they wanted. For us, room service was hit or miss -- sometimes we had place mats, sometimes a tablecloth, sometimes just the tray. It really depended on who delivered it. I am guessing at night they would be more apt to do the table cloth.

We had many dinners served in our suite on the Dawn, except for the food, it was just like regular room service. No tablecloths, no placemats, just trays of food. :(

Another thing to think about is where the sun is at what time in the evening. For instance, for us, the sun was "beating" in on our side (portside) of the ship in the late afternoon. So, we went ahead and scheduled our dinner for around 7:30 so we'd get the sunset while we started our dinner.

We did ours the 2nd full night at sea so, yes, we did enjoy our flowers the entire week. I hated leaving them. . . oh well.

We also did the UBD on the Caribbean Princess last week - it was wonderful! Well worth the $100. Be prepared for more food than you can eat.

We called room service as soon as we boarded on Sunday (around 12:30) and reserved for the next evening with no problem. Our waiter later told us that they only do 2 each evening - so definitely call as soon as you board so you don't miss out!

Maybe your waiters only did 2 a night ! I'm sure with 3000 paxs that they do more than 2 a night. To me it seems like going to alot of trouble for the charge of $200.00.

Has anyone ever ordered the UBD for two nights ?

mrtractor...should know how to use the search function by now. :D

(yes, i'm turning into one of "those people." eek!)

(p.s. i always love your tag lines!)

I'm glad Mr. Tractor asked this question and I'm sure he very well knows how to use the search function !

I'm rememberinig being on a "bus" or whatever with open sides with the two of you--can't remember where we were off to--but, I do remember holding onto the side as we went racing along

I also remember a guy sitting by you on that trip--we saw him a lot after than time--since we were b2b I have too many ports to remember well

Hope all is well with you

Our next cruise will be the Panama Canal on the Island from LA--to LA

No airports/planes to deal with.

Nancy

Archived