Sheraton Fishermans Wharf, San Francisco

SUNDOWNER

I really can't help you with most of your questions, but this hotel is quite close to pier 35. It is a nice hotel and all the things around fisherman's wharf are within walking distance. The cable car station is about 3/4 blocks away.

Marilyn

Hi -- glad you got Sheraton on Fisherman's Wharf.

Map:

http://www.sfvisitor.org/maps/html/Wharf.html

You may have already seen this map -- but if you know the cross streets of your hotel locate it on this map. Pier 35 is within walking distance but without luggage so you will have to take a cab when you embark. Pier 39 has lot of shops etc. If you like Sea Food, try the Clam Chowder soup from the vendor stalls (not restaurants). If you can get reservation for Alcatraz -- try on-line -- that is definitely worth a visit. Alcatraz Ferries are from Pier 41 which is within walking distance of your hotel. If you wish to take a couple of bottles of wine with you, check out Safeway or Cost Plus (both within walking distance). The restaurants around Fisherman's wharf are mostly tourist restaurants -- except for Scoma's (also around $18 to 20 for main dish) with good view and good food. For quick meals, there is a MacDonalds and some Pizza Places. Also, from one of the nearby streets, there is 2-hour bus tour for $20 pp. It looked a good value.

To anyone knowledgeable, please feel free to critique my views and make suggestions.

Have a good time.

/Sultan

I dont want to sound alarming but just give a word of caution.

All the areas around Fisherman's Wharf are very safe -- except for Pickpockets as in any tourist city. So leave most of the contents of your wallets that you dont need in your room. Pickpockets operate in twos and threes -- one jostles or bumps into you and the instinct is to check the pocket. Now they know which pocket has your wallet! Sounds ridiculous but true. We are going on a bus tour of Eastern Europe and that website had an even more interesting comment -- someone yells "Pickpocket" and everyone checks their valuables! It is one of the Pickpocket members that is doing the yelling! Just be aware of your surroundings in Fisherman's Wharf area because 90% of the persons there are tourists. But relax and enjoy./Sultan

We booked this hotel Friday, we go on 9-29 and stay two nights, then on to the cruise ship for a 15 day repositioning on the Spirit... I booked via priceline, said a 3 star hotel in the FW area, bid 70 and we got it!! within seconds. I then went and looked at the sheration web site for the hotel and I am happy with our choice. Just bid on priceline for a 3 star or above and see what happens. The web sites that do hotel reservations had this hotel at 149-160 a night...

I am so glad to hear it is so close to the things we wish to do for a full day in SF...we plan to go to Alcatraz and book online, no lines for me.

Thanks

I understand the Argonaut Hotel (Kimpton Group Hotel) is wonderful-located at Fisherman's Wharf. I've stayed at the Tuscan Inn, Fisherman's Wharf (also Kimpton Hotel) and it was really great-wine hour in evening, morning coffee, tea, hot chocolate and biscotti, yoga basket to your room at no extra charge, good beds, quiet (inner courtyard rooms)-loved it and would stay there again. We stayed at the Harbor Court Hotel on the Embarcadero last weekend (yes, another Kimpton Hotel!) and had an amazing view of Treasure Island and the Bay Bridge, though the rooms were small. We were able to walk (20 min) to SBC Park and watch the SF Giants. Check out tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews-it's great!

Thanks for all info:) On a Monday in Sept., will there be a lot of demand for the "tourist things" -- afraid to book ahead of time since flight might be late or later getting to FW because of traffic, etc. -- what you think??:confused:

Please share any tips or info as it comes to mind to help us

"out of towners".:cool:

Archived