eastern carribean souviners

When we were in Nassau we visited the straw market. Every stall sold the same junky items, I'll bet that almost everything there was made in Taiwan.

However at the very end of the straw market, on the outside corner next to Senor Frogs was a man who carved animals and fish out of wood using a machette. We watched him for a while and were impresssed by his skill and the uniqueness of his creations. I would look for him when you go to Nassau.

Have fun!

We buy the carved sticks/canes from the guy the above poster mentioned outside the straw market. Our DS (13) collects these from every island we visit each time we cruise. DH usually goes around the corner & purchases the two men a couple of beers (the bigger guy can open his with his teeth:eek: ) & then they do a great job craving & sanding a cane for us. They can be a little expensive, but they are just beautiful.

In Nassau, there are usually a few craftmen/women who are actually carving or weaving baskets right in front of you. At least you can see that the items are hand made. You will find them in the straw market too. It is obvious when you see 10 of the very identical woven beach bag or placemat, that they are machined somewhere else. Of your 3 stops, I'd say concentrate your buying in Nassau.

Archived