Carnival or RCCL

CruisnCutie

hi im 13 yrs old and have been on 2 cruises this spring breal and last spring break both with rccl and i think you should totally go with rccl there kids program is the best thing about my vacation ! you'll love it. :D

hope this helps .. p.s we sailed on the soverign and the voyager !

Cruzincutie,

You don't mention how old the kids are.

You mention it is the kids first cruise. Is it yours?

You may get better advise if we know the above facts.

mcboo:)

You are so right, sorry I didn't give more info.

This will be my first cruise with children. They are under 6 yers of age..

My DH and I have cruised twice before, before kiddos.

I must say, I used to wonder why people brought children on a cruise, now I'm just as guilty! :eek:

Cruisncutie,

I would HIGHLY reccommend Carnival.

The Camp Carnival program is so great and the kids will love it.

If they were older I would have reccommended RCI but for the younger ones I feel carnival is the way to go. Also Carnival's cabins tend to be larger so you will have a better experience in that respect.

Hope this helps.

Mcboo:):):)

We have been on the Celebration and Rhapsody with our 6 & 8 year olds. The Celebration had a tiny children's room with not much to do. Rhapsody had a much better program for the children. We are sailing Elation in November and I expect the children's program to be good.

In general, Carnival might have a better kid's program, but it will depend somewhat on the ship. Just something to keep in mind.

The Celebration had a tiny children's room with not much to do. Rhapsody had a much better program for the children. We are sailing Elation in November and I expect the children's program to be good.

Yes, that kids room on the Celebration was a joke! You will find the kids area on the Elation to be QUITE large in comparison. It had many computer/video game areas, foosball, many arts/crafts areas, etc. My 7 year old didn't spend all her time there, but when we had her go, she did really enjoy herself. But of everything on board, my girls best liked the kids karoke that was nightly in the Cole Porter lounge. They couldn't get enough of it, both performing, and watching the other kids perform. Of course, the 24 hour pizza & ice cream was quite a hit also! :p

My son is 4 y.o. and we have been on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean recently. We loved Camp Carnival on the Legend (we went on a 2nd cruise because our experience on the 1st was so great). Kids' playroom was very nice and well equiped, programs varied and counselors were great. They also had paid group sitting to 3am. We never kept him there that late but it was nice to know you had that option if you wanted to see a late night comedy show or stay out late.

As for Royal Caribbean, our experience on the Serenade was completely the opposite. While their kids' area was very nice overall, the area for 3-5 year olds was very small and very "antiseptic"- no color and few toys out. Not a very warm feeling. Counselors seemed sort of militant too- one was not talking very nicely to the young children. When we went to pick up our son the one evening from camp he was just hanging on the rope gate that separated the young kids' area with this helpless look asking to be rescued. Meanwhile the rest of the kids were all just playing with one toy while the counselors sat talking to each other. After that night, we decided not to utilize their camp anymore. It seemed as though the programs and areas for the older children were better though.

Based on our experience on the Serenade, we decided to stay away from Royal Caribbean at least until he is older. We are going on NCL (Dawn) for the 1st time next month and are keeping our fingers crossed. We hope their kids' program is good.

We are going on NCL (Dawn) for the 1st time next month and are keeping our fingers crossed. We hope their kids' program is good.
I really hope you'll post your findings about NCL when you return. I've been on Disney once, CCL twice, and am now looking to RCI or NCL (to "broaden" our cruise line horizons!) for the next time we take our kids along (although I'm hoping to also book 1 without the kids soon:D ) Will be very appreciative of your info! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I can only speak for Camp Carnival.

My kids LOVE it. We're considering a land vacation, for a change, but the kids keep asking when our next Carnival cruise is.

I'm not comfortable with the "in cabin" babysitting. A total stranger alone with my kids. Don't think so.

My kids love the after hours "slumber parties" on Carnival. For $10.00 an hour, my kids get to see the new friends they've made, watch movies, play games and have fun snacks. I don't think they'd enjoy going to bed early in the cabin, with a stranger, watching the same movie that they've probably already seen during the trip.

Well, I am 14 and have been on 8 different cruises, participating in every program. We being Carnival Lovers, have only gone on Carnival. For 2-8 the Program is great. 9-12 Most kids just want to have some freedom and the Camp Carnival Program does not provide that, anything after that is useless. Just to let you know cause I have been throug hit all.

Archived