Dance Studio Cruise

KC_fn

DD and I just returned from a cruise on RCI Mariner, with a group of girls from her dance studio (and parents). The excuse for the cruise was that the girls were featured "Guest Performers". They're advanced-level dancers, age 15-17, and have mucho experience performing. We also did this a couple of years ago, on Carnival Pride.

This time around, they got to dance twice, in the main theater, and were listed in the daily Compass. Each performance was 10 numbers, lasting about a half hour; they performed tap, jazz and lyrical (the Savoy has a great tap stage). The time slots weren't the best -- once at 10:30 pm, once at 2:00 pm on a sea day when most of the ship was up at the pool -- so the audiences were small, but very appreciative. As a bonus, the girls had a private workshop with one of Mariner's professional dancers, which was great fun for them.

I've heard there are also dance cruises where the kids do master workshops/intensives, or even competitions.

Anyone else been on a dance studio cruise?

HI

I just heard today that our grand daughters dance school is looking at

rccl in July. We love any excuse to travel and have been waiting for them to do the cruise route....usually it's Dancing in Disney and Universal. That's fun but this should be much better.

I'll be anxious to hear more details.

Barb

We are doing our 3rd "Stars At Sea" Cruise with RCCL onboard the Enchantment this October during Halloween week. Our studio usually takes around 20-30 dancers from ages 8-25. Along with parents and family members, we have 192 people cruising this time. We've always only had 1 show in the main theater, usually immediately following the main show and we've always had a great crowd. They are listed on the front page of the compass as "Stars At Seas" performers and the CD always makes sure to mention them nightly. Our girls and guys are doing tap, jazz, modern, and hip-hop and since it's Halloween, they're doing a big production number of Michael Jackson's Thriller. We've never had the opportunity to do a workshop with any of the RCCL dancers...boy that would be great, but with our own rehearsal and everybody enjoying the cruise, it's not a big deal. We do the dance cruise every other year instead of National Competition, and we have a blast!!

I really wouldn't want to do a competition on a cruise ship. They're to stressful! I want to enjoy my cruise, and not have to stress out over a competition all week.

Archived