Blue Hawaiian-Kauai, Fairwind II-Kona, OLL-Maui

redcc55

These are the excursions we've booked for our PoAM 8/25 trip. All other ports we're on our own renting convertibles thru thrifty.

Anyone have experience/comments with the excursions in the title?

Thanks,

Red

• Administrators
These are the excursions we've booked for our PoAM 8/25 trip. All other ports we're on our own renting convertibles thru thrifty.

Anyone have experience/comments with the excursions in the title?

Thanks,

Red

Hi, Red, welcome to Cruise Critic! I know you are so looking forward to your Hawaiian vacation, and these boards are a great way to research and plan! :) These message boards have a search feature -- it's at the top of the boards in a vanilla-colored bar with blue links. If you click "search" and input the terms you mention in the title (I'd do one search for each activity), and limit the search in the box on the right to the Hawaii ports of call board, you will find tons of useful information on all three of those activities. They are all very popular and have been discussed extensively here.

To get you started, here are recent threads on these three activities:

Blue Hawaiian -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=591725&highlight=Blue+Hawaiian+kauai

Fair Wind II -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=571338&highlight=Fair+Wind+Kona

Old Lahaina Luau -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=588614&highlight=lahaina+luau

This type of search will also bring up trip reports for folks who have done these excursions.

Hope that helps you get started, at least!

I did both actually. Back in April on a POAl cruise.

Fairwind was an absolutely fabulous day. The kids loved it. We found it much more appealing than a snorkel-only trip. I mean who can snorkel for three hours? They fix a good lunch, provide gear and tubes and float boards and all sorts of stuff. The slide and the diving platforms are a great distraction. My kids snorkeled for about 1/2 hour and then spent the rest of the time diving off the boat. Great fun. You are taking a bit of a risk though as they have a 24 hour cancellation policy so if you miss port, you pay for nothing. Watch the weather reports for Kona a couple days before you're going to be in Kona just in case. Likewise I recommend being on one of the first tenders if not the first tender. I was early for my trip, but it gave me peace of mind.

Blue Hawaiian on Kauai was a terrific trip. All the helicopter companies pretty much make the same clockwise trip around the island. BH had newer equipment though (which made DW happy after the news of a couple crashes on Kauai in March). They did a good job narrating and had music piped through the headphones. The DVD they record was well done and reasonably priced. (can't say the same about the Fairwinds DVD ... too expensive).

I would recommend both.

Archived