Port or Starboard - Rome to Venice?

jeanaa

Hi,

Just wondered for you seasoned travelers out there who have cruised the Med /Greek Isles - which side of the ship did you prefer for your balcony? The cruise I am contemplating taking is from Rome to Venice, with stops at Naples, Santorini, Rhodes, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Athens, Katakolon, Corfu, Dubrovnik, and ending in Venice. Which side is best for viewing landscapes in the distance, sunsets, ports? Any advice is very much appreciated!

I sailed the Med last summer. I have a pretty poor memory, but I can tell you that if you want to see St. Mark's Square on your sail in to Venice, you need to be on the Starboard side. We had a balcony on the Port side, and it was still fabulous, but I was wishing for one of the opposite side right then!

Hi:

We were on the Golden (Barcelona to Istanbul) in 2001 and were on the port side. When we left Venice, the sun was just setting. It was the most beautiful sight in our many cruises. Port side faces the city. The people in Venice were waving to us and we to them. They were playing Boticelli's, "Time to Say Goodbye." Many people were crying it was so moving.

Port side was also good for viewing the bay of Naples, Vesuvius and the coast of Italy. Starboard had a better view of Stromboli and the volcano.

Hope this helps some. Have a great time. Tapper

We did the Barcelona to Venice, we had a starboard balcony and going into Venice it was on our side of the ship. As stated above the people were waving, the ship is taller than Venice, it is an amazing sight. I'm not sure with the other ports, I just remember how moving it was going into Venice.

Archived