Rome on a Saturday, Colosseum and Vatican museums

Our ship, HAL's Rotterdam, will be in Chetivechia for Rome on Saturday, October 28. Most people have advised seeing the Colosseum first thing in the morning, and hitting the Vatican and museums in the afternoon to avoid the crowds. However, on Saturday, the Vatican Museums close at 2. Would it still be a good idea to go directly to the Palatine to pick up tickets for the Colosseum in the morning, and then head to Vatican Museums by, say 11:30, hoping the crowds had thinned by then. Would two hours be time enough to get to Sistine Chapel for a quick look, and then spend an hour or so in the Basilica before heading back to the ship? Or would you advise reversing the itinerary, and start at Vatican and then go to Colosseum in the afternoon. Would also like to include Pantheon and, of course, Trevi Fountain in the day's schedule.

I had this same issue when cruising RCI's Brilliance in June. I ended up getting off the ship ASAP, taking the train into Rome and getting off at the Vatican stop, seeing the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's on my own, then taking the metro over to the Colosseum. There I purchased tickets at Palatine Hill, walked through the Hill and the Forum and then toured the Colosseum before calling it a day. Squeezing in Trevi and the Pantheon would've been a stretch, but it was doable.

I'm not saying this is the best way, but it worked for me. Admittedly, I lost time while waiting in the Vatican line in the morning, but it was highest on my priority list.

When I left the Vatican around 1230 - 1pm, there was no line.

I think your idea of getting tix at Palatine then doubling back to the Vatican might be a bit inefficient and I don't see the advantage.

Keep in mind that you will of course just have very little time to take in each place. Unfortunately, the Sistine Chapel was completely packed, making it hot and uncomfortable. I bailed out of there quickly, but hope to return someday.

However, on Saturday, the Vatican Museums close at 2. Would it still be a good idea to go directly to the Palatine to pick up tickets for the Colosseum in the morning, and then head to Vatican Museums by, say 11:30, hoping the crowds had thinned by then. Would two hours be time enough to get to Sistine Chapel for a quick look, and then spend an hour or so in the Basilica before heading back to the ship?

No, no! don't try this, you may spend your entire time at the museums in line! On days when the Vatican Museums close early, I have seen long lines of (unknowing, I presume?) tourists queueing up right until closing time. And they're out of luck! Generally speaking, the lines don't seem to thin out at all until the afternoon (1 PM or 2 PM), on normal days when the museum is open all day.

Get in line for the museums first; then go to St. Peter's; then go back to the forum. You'll no doubt be frustrated at wasting precious time waiting in lines, but at least you'll have a chance to see them all.

We were just in Rome on a Saturday. We didn't do the Vatican museums because the times it were open were pretty lousy for our schedule in port. Some of our tablemates did (they were on the same train as us going into Rome), and said that they did experience pretty long lines to get in the museum. And I'm guessing they probably got there before it opened based on what time we caught the train. (And the closing time seems to be a guideline, they closed earlier than the time listed when we were there) They ended up not doing the Colliseum because of how big the lines had gotten by the time they got there. (Heck, we did the Colliseum first, and by the time we left the lines to get through security were getting bad). Unfortunately, the hours for the vatican museum are just lousy if you want to do it and other stuff on the same day on a saturday.

Archived