A great sea day to/from Rarotonga

I've beenn on the TP where it's been a great sea day--also have made that trip that wound up being almost 4 sea days--just out there bouncing around--No Roratunga--no Raitaia--Bora Bora a day early still a fun cruise--going to do it a third time next March.

Beautiful picture--

Nancy:D

We are on the TP 8/12 and we are all hoping the seas cooperate for us just as they did for your trip. I followed your thread before and after you all returned and it sounds like we're in for a great time! Thanks for your encouragement about the chance of seeing Rarotonga! :)

Marcia

The seas were so calm we had joked about being able to waterski off our aft balcony! If you have nothing planned for Rarotonga, I recommend when you get off the ship, turn left down the street for about a 15 minute walk. You will pass a bank (get change if you need for the shuttle bus), some stores and a small car rental place. About a block or so further, around the corner on your right will be the bus stop. Fare for a roundtrip is approx $6 per person. Take the bus and tell the driver you want to get off at the Fruits of Rarotonga stand. Nice place to hang out, snorkeling, watching sand crabs, etc. Try a sandwich across the street at the stand. Continue in the same direction on the shuttle bus for an island tour around the rest of the island. You'll still have time to stop in some shops on the walk back to the ship. Have fun!

OK, we are so ready... leaving on Thursday and almost there. Thanks for your pictures. I hope that our trek out to Rarotonga is as smooth and nice as your's was.

Beautiful pictures!! I'm getting so excited! :):)

The seas were so calm we had joked about being able to waterski off our aft balcony! If you have nothing planned for Rarotonga, I recommend when you get off the ship, turn left down the street for about a 15 minute walk. You will pass a bank (get change if you need for the shuttle bus), some stores and a small car rental place. About a block or so further, around the corner on your right will be the bus stop. Fare for a roundtrip is approx $6 per person. Take the bus and tell the driver you want to get off at the Fruits of Rarotonga stand. Nice place to hang out, snorkeling, watching sand crabs, etc. Try a sandwich across the street at the stand. Continue in the same direction on the shuttle bus for an island tour around the rest of the island. You'll still have time to stop in some shops on the walk back to the ship. Have fun!

This sounds exactly like what I want to do. We're in Rarotonga on a Sunday. Will the bus run? If so, better get the fare in advance since the bank will be closed, yes?

Great pictures Thanks,

How much money (U.S.)would you recomend we would need to convert at the bank for the bus ride,sandwiches, etc. ?

...did the shops all take credit cards or will we need to exchange more USD to NZD?

Thanks!

KTE

(8 more weeks for us!)

The internet cafe and post office shop only took cc for over $20. and would NOT take US dollars... I just walked over to the bank next door and used my bank card and took out $20 New Zealand dollars...

Can someone please comment on air connections to Tahiti, and the travel time framework.

Have wanted to visit Tahiti and Cook Island for several years now, but being seniors thought that the flights would be too long.

I read someplace that from NY Tahitian Air goes direct and also read that some one went to LA and then to Tahiti.

cruiseonly.....you are correct. There are flights from New York JFK to Tahiti. I'm not sure of the time frame but I think it's in the 13 to 13-1/2 hr. range. I know it's one loooong flight!

We live in PA and are flying to LA, staying over, and then on to Tahiti. Our Air Tahiti Nui flight from LAX leaves at 4:10pm and arrives in Papeete at 9:30pm.....so with the time change that translates to about 8 hrs. 20 minutes.

We are doing back to backs, and our second cruise sails from Tahiti to Hawaii, so on our return we are flying from Honolulu to Los Angeles (5 hrs.), staying over, and then flying from LA home to PA the next day. We are doing our flights in segments to break up the flying time for health concerns....and for our sanity!

The flights are longer than we would like, too, but there isn't any other way to see the islands, so we decided to just take the plunge and deal with it. I know I'll be much happier two weeks from now to have the longest flights out of the way.

Where are you flying from? We are flying from St. Louis to LAX and staying 3 days to visit our son. We leave LAX at 1:30PM and have a direct flight to Papeete, arriving at 6:30 PM--with the time change it is an 8 hr. 15 min flight.

Returning flight leaves Tahiti at 10:30 PM and gets into LAX at 9:30 AM the next morning ( 8 1/2 hr. flight) We leave LAX at 1:30 and arrive in St. Louis around 6:30 PM. We are seniors too and I dislike these long flights but it will be worth it to see Tahiti.

Micked10

Archived