Embarkation Day and Shore Excursion question

chick geek

We have booked Regents Monte Carlo to Dover cruise in June 2008 and are considering a Regent pre-cruise hotel stay. We noticed a few shore excursions that we liked on embarkation day and was wondering if anyone has ever booked on that day. I called Regent and the answer was "fuzzy" at best. While they said that you cannot prebook, they said that the travel concierge might be able to get us on the tour that day if it isn't full. Our TA said that Regent has a rep at the pre-cruise hotel and can assure us arrival to the ship in time for an excursion - a somewhat different answer. Having just come back from the PG, embarkation day seemed an unlikely day to book an excursion, but then again, you never know. Would appreciate any comments as this will help determine where we stay prior to the cruise.

We were on the same cruise last year and it was one of our favorites taken. Everything was perfect.

We did not transfer to the ship until noon - which was early boarding time. They were in port at 7am (we watched the sail in) but we had to wait to access the boarding area. It's not a big open area, the security was tight as well (as it should be!). If you stay in Monte Carlo, it's very easy to get around on your own. A bit hilly, but easily walkable. There are also several tour companies with 1/2 day and 3/4 day tours that are do-able that would drop you at the ship. We try not to take Regent Transfers to the ship. A cab is usually less expensive and easier to deal with then the transfer. And no sitting around a hotel lobby just waiting. We check our luggage with the bell captain, go out and have fun, come back and retrieve our bags and head for the ship.

We flew into Nice and caught a taxi to our hotel in Monte Carlo. We did some day tours by train, but the hotel offered a wide variety of bus and other tours. The hotel people were very accomodating and I am sure could arrange a tour which drops you at the ship. In our case, we took a taxi to the ship (the Voyager), although we had to wait about 45 minutes for the taxi at the hotel. Everything worked out well. We saved quite a bit and had more flexibility by booking the pre-cruise days ourselves. Regardless of how you book it, you will have a great time!

Ez is a great town to visit, one of my favorites, but honestly, I can't imagine doing it day of embarkation with an overnight flight the night before, unless you are able to get sleep on the plane with no problem. If you are coming in a day early, however, may be do-able.

jhp- we are doing 2 night precruise with Regent - just deciding on where -might do 2 nights on our own at Eze if they won't do custom package. I agree, Eze seems magical and we want to enjoy it as much as possible.

Archived