Renting a scooter?

Looking for some info from anyone who has had to rent a scooter to take on the trip. My husband is recovering from a spinal fusion he had 3 months ago, and we are 8 weeks out from our cruise on the Valor (he refuses to consider delaying the trip, although that would probably be the sensible thing to do :rolleyes: ). At this point, I am thinking that a lot of walking is going to be a problem for him and would like to get a scooter that he can use on the boat and on shore - But - I am not sure that it would fit through the doorway of our balcony room. Do you need to get a room that is designated as handicapped-accessible in order for a scooter to fit through the doorway? Do you arrange for the rental through carnival, or make arrangements with a local Miami company? I would really appreciate any info from someone who has had this experience, and thanks in advance!

Hi...you might want to contact the Special Needs Department at Carnival about this. They'll give you several companies that rent scooters/wheelchairs. I've seen a lot on every Carnival cruise I've taken...so there should be no problems

Actually, when we were on the Legend last week, Carnival actually announced that they recommend that you NOT rent scooters in the ports. Too many risk factors involved. But, Carnival might have many suggestions for you. And, some of the ports offer city tours by a bus, or other type of transportation.

Actually, when we were on the Legend last week, Carnival actually announced that they recommend that you NOT rent scooters in the ports. Too many risk factors involved. But, Carnival might have many suggestions for you. And, some of the ports offer city tours by a bus, or other type of transportation.

You are thinking MOTOR SCOOTER..

The OP is talking Wheel chair type scooter................

Looking for some info from anyone who has had to rent a scooter to take on the trip. My husband is recovering from a spinal fusion he had 3 months ago, and we are 8 weeks out from our cruise on the Valor (he refuses to consider delaying the trip, although that would probably be the sensible thing to do :rolleyes: ). At this point, I am thinking that a lot of walking is going to be a problem for him and would like to get a scooter that he can use on the boat and on shore - But - I am not sure that it would fit through the doorway of our balcony room. Do you need to get a room that is designated as handicapped-accessible in order for a scooter to fit through the doorway? Do you arrange for the rental through carnival, or make arrangements with a local Miami company? I would really appreciate any info from someone who has had this experience, and thanks in advance!

Last year when I was on the Holiday,,,I seen scooters parked in

the hallways.........

I am guessing there was not rooom in the cabin,,,,

What jleq said!!

Call the people that handle this kind of issue for a living at Carnival. They'll be able to tell you all you need to know.

Have a great cruise!

Tom:)

On our last couple of cruises, we rented a scooter for my dh and, despite his original resistance, we were both glad we did. (Due to some recent medical issues, he tires easily when walking any distance at all.) We went through CareVacations http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/html/wheelchairs.html. They were very helpful with selecting the appropriate scooter for his needs and size. The scooter was delivered to our cabin prior to our arrival. We were instructed to leave it in the cabin at the end of the cruise. We had a suite on the Liberty and found that, though it was a tight squeeze, the scooter fit through the door just fine. We sailed with a different cruiseline for our last cruise and definitely needed a hc accessible cabin so that the scooter would fit through the door. You definitely need to check on the door width.

You should contact Carnival's Guest Access Services department at 800-438-6744 extension 70025 for information regarding door widths, as well as other concerns or needs that you may have. We found them to be very helpful. You can find accessible areas of the ship and other info you may find useful on Carnival's Guest Access Services site. http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_guest_special_requirements.aspx You can also contact them through email: specialneeds@carnival.com <specialneeds@carnival.com>

While they do allow you to take the scooters ashore, that will likely not be possible when tendering. Some people also rent or bring manual wheelchairs for tendered ports. We didn't have any expereince with taking the scooter ashore since, on each cruise, the one port where dh would have liked to have taken it ashore was cancelled due to rough seas.

You may also find valuable info on the Disabled Cruise Travel boards. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Archived