Stuart's Cove Nassau - Will I Have Time?

dcookies

We're sailing on the 8/30 Sov. of the Seas, which includes a stop in Nassau on 9/1. I had hoped to go snorkeling with Stuart's Cove, but I'm not sure we'll be able to fit it in. A.M. session - The ship arrives at 7:00 a.m., and I notice Stuart's Cove does pick-ups at the pier at 8:00. P.M. session - Buses leave Stuarts Cove at 5:00. We have early searting for dinner (6:00), and that's formal night, which I don't want to miss.

Questions:

• Will I be able to get off the ship by 8:00?
  • Can I get a taxi to Stuart's Cove in the morning? Is it within walking distance?
  • If we did the afternoon session, could I get a taxi from Stuart's Cove so I could get back to the ship in time for dinner?
  • Is there an alternative company we could use? And if so, do I need to book in advance?

I had considered the Rainbow Reef excursion through RCI, but my sister and Mom did it last year, and said it was crowded, rushed, and there were hardly any fish to be seen.

Thanks in advance! :)

Stuart Cove's is used to catering to the cruise industry and will do their pick up across from the cruise pier at about 8am. You'll also tell them what ship you're coming from when you book your snorkeling trip, so they'll know the schedule, etc. You should be able to make an 8am pickup if your ship is supposed to be in port at 7am. Obviously you could get delayed, which is the risk you take when you book privately, but it's probably worth the risk.

The other thing is to make sure you take their shop address with you (e-mail and ask to get the right location), and if you miss their shuttle bus, grab a cab and meet them at the shop. I believe it's about a 10 minute cab ride. The dive boats don't usually leave until 9am, so you very well could make it in plenty of time if you aren't too late off the ship.

Go ahead and e-mail Stuart Cove's and ask them all these questions. They'll be able to tell you everything you need to know.

As far as other dive operators on the island, DiveDiveDive and Nassau Scuba Centre all cater to the cruise ship crowd, but I believe they all do pickups between 7:45 and 8:00am, so that's not much of a help.

• 4 weeks later...

The timing worked out well. We actually missed the early morning bus (slow poke son!), but called the company and they suggested we do the afternoon snorkel. I was a little concerned about timing since it was formal night that night, and we had early dinner seating, but they assured us we'd be back at the docks by 5:00. The bus came at 11:45 (make sure you're waiting early). Just to forewarn you - it's a long trip, with lots of stops at other hotels, and the dock pickup is the first pickup and last dropoff.

The snorkeling was excellent - tons of fish, and the shark snorkel was well worth every cent we spent on the trip. We had ~ 45 minutes in the water at the first two stops, and were in the water at the last stop ~ 15 minutes (this was the shark stop).

We made it back just after 5:00 - still enough time to make a quick stop at a liquor store and plenty of time to get ready for that evenings dinner.

Archived