Anybody ever use the space bags for packing?

amylynn68

I bought some of these for our trip to Hawaii next week, and didn't think about how I would repack them when we leave. I'm pretty sure you have to use a hose on a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out of them. Has anyone used these before? Should I use them and hope that NCL has a vacuum cleaner with a hose, or don't bother using them?

Those bags on TV (with 5 comforters in them :) ) are not designed for traveling. You have to get the kind that when you press on them the air comes out these one-way airholes.

I have medium & large and use them alot.

Can't help with where to buy them - they were a gift.

MaryAnn

Yeah, definitely don't use the Space Bags. I got them to pack some items up for storage in our home, and they work great...then you store the pack under the bed, and the air comes out! You can't get it out from under the bed.

That would be a nightmare on a trip.

I'll look for the ones at Walmart too. Good idea.

I went on my 1st cruise this past May to Alaska, and used these compression bags (Pack Max). You can get them, as mentioned, at Walmart, and I also believe at places like Walgreens.The only problem I encountered was packing too much,:eek: from all the exta space it saved :)! I also learned it's much easier packing for a tropical vacation (Hawaii, Caribbean,etc.), than it is for places like S.E. Alaska in May (lots of layered clothing!

I used the roll-up type of space bags for our Mediterranean cruise. I love being able to place all the outfit pieces in the bags so that they were clearly visible and then rolling out the extra air! Everything stayed neat, organized and wrinkle-free, plus I was able to get so much more in one suitcase than I have in the past. Also, if your bag is selected to be searched by security they can clearly see the contents and yet will not be rummaging through your clean clothing with possibly less than pristine hands! :eek: That was one of my main motivations for using the space bags. On the way home I just put the dirty laundry in them, rolled tham up and stacked the compressed bags back in my suitcase. Very easy and saved a lot of space!!

We use the 2 gallon zip bags that you can purchase anywhere. We insert our clothes, partially close the bags, and then press the air out and close the bags. Our clothes are not wrinkled when we unpack and we have the bags for packing when our trip is over. Works well for us.

Jimanne

Thanks for the info Jimanne. I had heard that the real big zip top type bags were good and we are going to try them for our upcoming Hawaii cruise. It's 2 weeks and I've been a little crazy trying to figure out how I'm going to pack everything!

• Administrators

I have used space bags (the travel kind, which you roll up), and they do work. However, a word of caution -- if you use them to let you put a lot more in your suitcase (which they WILL do), make sure you weigh your luggage once it's fully packed. The airlines have weight limits per piece of luggage now (on Delta it's 50 pounds per checked bag; you should check your carrier's website for their limits), and those handy bags might result in an overweight bag, which incurs an extra charge per bag.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info Jimanne. I had heard that the real big zip top type bags were good and we are going to try them for our upcoming Hawaii cruise. It's 2 weeks and I've been a little crazy trying to figure out how I'm going to pack everything!

DON'T OVERPACK and I'm serious. I way overpacked. I found myself wearing my swimsuit most of the time and most of my clothes came back unused. You can get a couple pants and couple tops & mix & match and nobody will know the difference especially since you only get into your dinner clothes a few hours.

I bought the vacuum bags and stuffed $5 pillows in there cuz I"m really picky about my pillows. Found I didn't need them & left them behind. Bedding was really comfortable on POH.

Thanks for the information. I didnt know they made them where you didnt need a vacuum cleaner. I will take the ones I bought back to walmart and look for the other kind, or maybe an additional suitcase to bring all the extra stuff back. Thanks again.

I had never heard of these bags, other than the ones that require a vacuum cleaner. I went to Walmart today and they had a pack of 4 bags, 2 medium size and 2 large bags.

This sold for 12.78

I then bought some 2.5 gallon ziploc bags to put socks, etc. little stuff in.

I can't wait to see how it all works out.

Archived