Disembarkation

viajeros

My DW & I will be doing the Volendam NB Inside Passage, departing Vancouver 6/15/08. Can anyone tell us how much time to expect for disembarkation in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway & Seward? The Seward arrival is scheduled for 7:00am on 6/22/08, but I have heard that actual arrival is hours earlier. We are trying to plan independent excursions.

Thank you.

My DW & I will be doing the Volendam NB Inside Passage, departing Vancouver 6/15/08. Can anyone tell us how much time to expect for disembarkation in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway & Seward? The Seward arrival is scheduled for 7:00am on 6/22/08, but I have heard that actual arrival is hours earlier. We are trying to plan independent excursions.

Thank you.

In common usage, disembarkation refers just to your final departure from the ship, in Seward. That should be completed by 10:30 for the last group called.

In Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway, if you don't have a HAL excursion booked you can usually get off 20 to 30 minutes after docking. If you have a HAL excursion booked you go to the designated meeting point on the ship (usually the show lounge) and get off when your group is called.

Welcome to the HAL board! :)

In the Alaska Ports you can usually disembark within 10-15 minutes of arrival, sometimes even sooner. Remember all aboard is usually 30 minutes before the sailing time listed in the brochure.

If booking independent tours research it carefully and get a reputable operator. Apparently there has been a rise in unlicensed operators in the main ports this year. And the big thing is that if your independent tour gets delayed the ship will probably not wait for you as they would for one of their own tours.

Assuming you are disembarking in Seward then arrival time of the ship can be as early as 3AM. This way they get all the luggage off and ready for collection prior to the start of disembarkation usually at about 6AM.:eek: If going independent then you can usually get off at the time you need to meet your own booked transport.

In common usage, disembarkation refers just to your final departure from the ship, in Seward. That should be completed by 10:30 for the last group called.

In Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway, if you don't have a HAL excursion booked you can usually get off 20 to 30 minutes after docking. If you have a HAL excursion booked you go to the designated meeting point on the ship (usually the show lounge) and get off when your group is called.

Welcome to the HAL board! :)

Thank you, Cool Cruiser for your response & welcome. I probably should have said "How soon can we get off the ship with our stuff in Seward?"

To all: Sorry if I haven't yet quite grasped how to respond to replies. I'll figure it out soon.

To Bishop84 & Krazy Kruisers: Thank you both for your responses. After much research (mostly on this & the Alaska board), we have booked with with Sea Wind Aviation in Ketchican for Misty Fjords flightseeing and with Marv & Harv for whale watching in Juneau. We are by nature, independent travelers & prefer the "up close & personal" with local people. It does sound like we can make a 9:00am sea kayaking tour after we leave Volendam in Seward.

Archived